3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2007 8:00 AM by Newsgroup_User

Size Matters?

Level 7
      I am setting up an instance of the MUS xtra with a 2000K buffer (max
      message size), but I can't seem to send an image that large.

Using the size property of a bitmap cast member, it seems to fail
      somewhere around 400K. Does the size property really match the size of
      the media property (it is the media of a member that gets sent)>
        • 1. Re: Size Matters?
          Level 7
          While I'm not sure how member.size relates to member.media, try sending
          member.compressedMedia instead
          • 2. Re: Size Matters?
            Level 7
            Sean Wilson wrote:
            > While I'm not sure how member.size relates to member.media, try sending
            > member.compressedMedia instead

Thanks, I did try compressedMedia and it didn't seem to change anything.

Whether using the media, compressedMedia or picture property I need to
            be able to determine the size of the data being sent, to ensure that it
            will fit in the buffer. If it's too big, the program can provide some
            feedback to the users, because right now it just fails without any error
            being generated. Does anyone know how to do this?
            • 3. Re: Size Matters?
              Level 7
              Try setting the limit to 2mb -1 byte = 2*1024*1024-1 = 2097151
              Using a larger value than that will leave the limit to the default 16K.
              As for the 400K image, it's the RLE compressed media of the member that is
              being sent. Therefore, if it's a computer generated image that contains
              large solid color areas, it could be compressed to 16K.

As for the compressedmedia property, this should be used for imported images
              like gif and jpg (from what i can recall there was a problem with pngs) that
              have not been modified.
              What compressedmedia does is access and send the member's original
              compressed data, long as they exist. If compressed data do not exist, the
              member's .media is silently used.

"Dave C" <no@no.com> wrote in message
              news:fhb9a2$a8j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I am setting up an instance of the MUS xtra with a 2000K buffer (max
              >message size), but I can't seem to send an image that large.
              >
              > Using the size property of a bitmap cast member, it seems to fail
              > somewhere around 400K. Does the size property really match the size of the
              > media property (it is the media of a member that gets sent)>