1 2 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 7:55 AM by the_wine_snob

Error Messages

RESAMPSONJR Level 1

I am using Premiere Elements 7.0 and receiving errors when burning BRD.  The BRD drive and disc are recognized, media compiles, but results in either fatal error to access denied error when starting the burn.  How can I avoid these errors?  I have reduced the size of the movie by 50%, but still generating errors.  I have burned other movies from PE that are longer in length.

• 1. Re: Error Messages
          Barbara B. Level 7

Hi, RESAMPSONJR. PRE has its own forum and you'll get better help with video questions there. I'll move this for you.

• 2. Re: Error Messages
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is for Encore, but worth trying... http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

• 3. Re: Error Messages
              RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Thanks John.  Unfortunately this was not useful to me.  I am running Vista.  Also, I am able to burn to Blue Ray Disc, just not this particular movie.  I have burned this movie from PE, same PC/software, to a DVD.  This error seems specific to this movie.  I am trying to understand if this is an issue with PE, the BRD burner, the memory of my PC, or what specifically it is about this movie that generates this error. 

• 4. Re: Error Messages
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please provide screendumps of the error messages.

• 5. Re: Error Messages
                  RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Thank you.  I'm not getting true scredumps, but error message in the "Share" window after the media has complied and is attempting to write to a BRD.  I was incorrect about my operating system, it is windows 7.  The compile requires quite a bit of time to get to the error, >12 hours.  I will document the screenshots as executing and attach.  This might take several days to get back to you.

• 6. Re: Error Messages
                    RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Here is an image of the start of converion.  BRD is selected, is found and Ready, movie is just over 2 hours in length.Start of Conversion.png

• 7. Re: Error Messages
                      RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Start of encoding process.Start of Encoding.png

• 8. Re: Error Messages
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

One more screen-cap, that could be useful, would be the full Timeline, with your Assets showing. You can hit the \ (Backslash key), to zoom out on the timeline. As you have 15 Menus, you must have a lot of Chapter Markers. Seeing though in the Timeline might yield a clue. Also, do you have a Stop Marker at the very end of the Timeline, remove that, as it is not needed, and can cause issues.

Also, if you are getting the error at approximately the same place in the operation, it might be good to do another screen-cap at about the point, where the error occurs, to see if you have an odd Asset at that point, or a gap in the Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Error Messages

Since you have Win7, did you try the right click and "Run as Administrator" option?

• 10. Re: Error Messages
                            RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Thanks for the tips.  Will do.  Yes, approximately 20 chapter markers over the 2 hours and 6 minutes.  In trying to work with this, I have cut the movie in half, then removed all of the menu markers.  Finally, I recreated from the original video only without any menu markers thinking the file may be corrupted.  Unfortunatley, all efforts to date have resulted in one of the two errors, fatal or access denied.

At the moment, 16% of the encoding is completed for the full original movie.  I will capture the error first, which always occurs during the initial burn phase to the disk after compiling has completed.  After I cancel the burn from the errror, I can then acces the screen again to capture a full timeline.  I don't have a Stop Marker at the end.  I don't believe there is any gap, the DVD version burns and plays fine.

• 11. Re: Error Messages
                              RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Not yet, trying to reproduce the error.  Where is that option specifically, is that a windows command or within the PRE application?

• 12. Re: Error Messages

>Where is that option specifically

Go back and click the link I provided in message #2

Instead of Encore's icon, Premiere Elements

Also, some other things to consider...

Long File Names or odd characters cause problems

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273

And #4 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666558

And This Message Thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/665641

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a disc... says Encore, but also applies to Premiere Elements and disc burning

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

Create an ISO (Encore) or folder on your hard drive (Encore or Premiere Elements) and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

• 13. Re: Error Messages
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

two errors, fatal or access denied.

That "Access Denied," may mean that the program is having an issue writing to the blank media in your Pioneer burner. That could be due to the brand of blank media (what are you using there?), or to an issue with the burner itself. Do you have the latest firmware, from Pioneer? If not, I would definitely update the firmware. BE SURE to read the full installation instructions (I print them out, as they can change, version to version), and follow them completely - VERY IMPORTANT.

Also, in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, check the Pioneer to make sure that you do not have any error, or warning messages there.

One last place to look, and especially with the "Fatal Error," is Windows Event Viewer, in both the System and Applications Tabs, for any warning, or error messages, at the time of the crash. If any of those have links, be sure to follow the links, as there might well be clues there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Error Messages
                                    RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Thanks.  I found the setting for PRE, but cannot apply at the moment.  I will review the other links as well.  When buring a disk, I usually close all other applications.  Typically I do this overnight as it takes so long.

• 15. Re: Error Messages
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

When buring a disk, I usually close all other applications.

I tend to do the exact same thing. Many users claim that with today's very fast computers, it is no longer necessary, but I suppose that it's just a holdover technique from my days, when computers were quite slow, and burning a disc was a "big deal."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Error Messages
                                        RESAMPSONJR Level 1

I am using blank Memorex BD-R discs.  Have tried both 4X and 6X.  The same blank disk that generated the error with this movie was able to be used for a different PRE burn.  No errors for the Pioneer drive, "The device is wokring properly."  Will have to wait to see what error I get this time to check the system tabs.  The PC doesn't really crash with the fatal error, that is the message displayed in the Share window of PRE.  To clear that error, I just have to cancel the burn.

• 17. Re: Error Messages
                                          RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Well, the BRDs definately take a lot longer to burn, even when successful!  My guesstimate for time is 2X that for a standard DVD.  That elapesed time is definately worth the significant increase in quality.

This movie has now been encoding for 4 hours and is only 20% complete for that phase of the burn.  I basically get a day/24 hrs to try and find a way to resolve the issue.  It just takes that long to generate the error.  One of the reasons I suspect memory is that I have burned BRD movies successfully with the same set up, but most of these have a much shorter run time.

Several of my other unsuccessful tries was to select the fit contents to availalbe space option.  Didn't make a difference.

• 18. Re: Error Messages
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Memorex is a brand known for buying the cheapest media that day, and then rebranding it with their logo. In the DVD industry that is known as the "Memorex Business Model," and has been adopted by other, once well-respected blank media mfgrs (that term used lightly), such as TDK and Ritek. I have seen trusted reports of a spindle of 50 blank DVD's having product from up to four mfgrs. (the companies, that actually created the blank media), all branded as Memorex.

If you continue to have problems, after exhausting all other avenues, I would try with another brand, such as Verbatim.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Error Messages
                                              RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Thanks.  I have blank Verbatim BD-R discs in hand and will give one of them a try if the other suggestions don't meet with success.

• 20. Re: Error Messages

Buy a BD-RE for testing.

Also try making an iso first and play that on the pc. (Virtual Clone Drive)

If its ok you can burn it to disk.

Use Verbatim, Tayo Yuden or Falcon. The latter is not very common in Europe.

Not cheap, but in the long run cheaper than a bunch of coasters.

• 21. Re: Error Messages
                                                  RESAMPSONJR Level 1

The BD-RE makes sense.  My failures have all occured before anything is written, so the new BD-R can still be used/has nothing transferred (or has worked that way so far).  Thus I have not needed to open a coster outlet, yet.

Is the iso one of the options for sharing to a PC?  I generally always convert to a disc, have never attempted to create movie files for PC usage before.  In the past I did convert directly from PRE to .mov for later converion to an iPod format. That process was very time consuming and added another large file to be converted.

I'm still stuck on the fact that the same movie converts to a DVD without issue (different drive I admig), but cannot achieve the same results with Blue Ray Disc.

• 22. Re: Error Messages

>Is the iso one of the options for sharing to a PC

You might re-read what I said in message 12

• 23. Re: Error Messages
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrE, one CAN Burn to Folder for DVD-Video, but, unless it was added in PrE 11 (do not think so, but I could be wrong), only Burn to Disc is possible. PrE has never offered the Burn to Image (ISO), like Adobe Encore, and some other full-featured authoring apps can. [An Image, or ISO, is sort of like a ZIP archive file, that contains the full folder structure and necessary files, for a DVD, or BD.]

I had hoped that PrE would add the Burn to Folder for BD, as the blank media IS much more expensive (the BD-RE is a viable workaround), and I use that method (or the ISO) out of Encore, to test the Project on the computer with DVD/BD software players as my first step. I then burn a DVD-RW, or BD-RE, and test in several hardware players from cheapies to esoterics, so that I feel comfortable that a client WILL be able to play on their machines. Last, when completely satisfied, I Burn to Disc, using the highest-quality blank media possible, at a slower, than Max speed. Having done a Burn to Foler (out of Adobe Encore), I just use the great, free ImgBurn, to do the physical Burn to Disc, from my folder, or ISO. That saves having to Transcode again.

With PrE, and even version 11, I think that the closest that you can come is to Burn to Disc, using a BD-RE, and test with that. Again, the highest-quality is what I shoot for there too. If PrE 11 has added Burn to Folder for BD, I hope that Steve, or others will correct me, as I have not found it yet. As PrE has had Burn to Folder for DVD-Video for many versions, I do not see that it would be all that difficult to add it to the program, but maybe there is much more involved, than I imagine?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Error Messages
                                                        RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Well, I can't do anything for some time to come as the encoding is only at 33% and I don't want to cancel the test to reproduce the error.  I'm only on PrE version 7 in any event, not familar at all with Encore.

• 25. Re: Error Messages

An iso or image is a digital print of a disk. See it as an negative for video.

But i have to retrack that advice as i just found out Elements (11) cannot make a BD image beyond 8.5 gb (but that is for HD on a dvd-disk).

Sorry.

Anyway waiting for a screendump with the error message.

• 26. Re: Error Messages
                                                            RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Here is the Access Denied Error shot.

Error Access Denied.png

• 27. Re: Error Messages
                                                              RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Cancel burn message.

Cancel Burn.png

• 28. Re: Error Messages
                                                                RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Error message:

PRE has encountered.png

I then recieved a run time error message, selected continue, and the application closed.

I will add the timeline screenshot after restarting PrE.

That will be my last attempt for a few days.  I will be away from this PC and only able to respond by e-mail or post.  Thank you all for your time.  I now have a few suggestions (change setting, Verbatim disc) to try.

• 29. Re: Error Messages
                                                                  RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Here is the timeline for this movie, obtained after a restart of PrE.

Timeline.png

• 30. Re: Error Messages
                                                                    nealeh Level 5

You could try moving the Narrations to Audio 1. All of them look to be available. Narration and Soundtrack tracks have long been known to throw the occasional glitch.

And as none of your video clips look to overlap one-another you could put them all onto Video 1.

None of this *should* be necessary but, when PRE throws up problems, any kind of simplification is usually worth trying.

Cheers,
                                                                    --
                                                                    Neale
                                                                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 31. Re: Error Messages
                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Doing a quick count, it looks like Resampsonjr has over 60 Chapter Markers in the Timeline. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that PrE had a limit regarding Chapter Markers, though with PrE 7, that maximum allowable might have been greater, than the 25 limit now. I was thinking that the 25 Chapter limit came with about PrE 9, or 10. What I do know is what the maximum allowed was in PrE 7.

Just thinking.

Hunt

• 32. Re: Error Messages
                                                                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, too many chapter markers can definitely be a problem, Bill. I think the limit is still 25 per timeline.

• 33. Re: Error Messages
                                                                          RESAMPSONJR Level 1

Thinking that there may be some limit, on the menus or the time limit in the new BRD format, I have deleted all the markers and generated the same error.  This was a brand new movie with no markers.  I also reduced the content to less than an hour, generated the same error.  Thanks again for your attention to this issue.

• 34. Re: Error Messages
                                                                            nealeh Level 5

PRE7 allows the maximum per DVD standards - which is 99 scenes. It is 25 in PRE10 and later (possibly since PRE8 but that is not a version I ever had and I really don't recall for PRE9).

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 35. Re: Error Messages
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thank you for that confirmation. My memory was along those lines, as the max number of "cells" in DVD-Video is 99.

I do not believe that I have ever seen an Adobe response on why the Chapters were reduced to 25, but might just have missed it.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 36. Re: Error Messages
                                                                                RESAMPSONJR Level 1

First attempt with the change of the administrator setting from the shortcut properties produced a fatal error.  Here are the two screenshots.

Fatal Error.png

Fatal Error 2.png

• 37. Re: Error Messages
                                                                                  RESAMPSONJR Level 1

I have updated this posting with screenshots of both the access denied and fatal error messages.  Have you had a chance to look into these and advise of a solution?  Thanks.

• 38. Re: Error Messages
                                                                                    RESAMPSONJR Level 1

I have attempted all of the suggested corrections (windows settings, media type, deleting ALL menus, move narration) but am still generating fatal errors.  I did break the movie down into segements, 3, and have been able to burn BRD's for each segment. 

I have also been able to burn BRDs for additional PE 7.0 projects without generating errors.  There is definately an issue buring the full movie.  It fully compiles and the error always occurs when starting the burn sequence.  As I could break the project into segments and burn, I suspect that there is some type of internal memory swap issue causing this error when buring to a BRD (can still burn without error to DVD).  I'm pretty convinced that this is not an issue with the BRD burner or connection issue to the PC for this device.

Thanks to all for the suggestions for resolution. 

• 39. Re: Error Messages
                                                                                      nealeh Level 5

As the error message refers to FileManager how much free defragmented disk space do you have? I'm wondering if  you have less than the burn requires for its temporary render files. That might also explain why breaking the project down into smaller segments has worked for you.

Also your screenshot shows a several other open applications on the taskbar and a variety of stuff in the system tray (plus other hidden system tray stuff). It might be worth trying a burn with no other applications running and as many system tray applications as possible closed down. Also disable your anti-virus software during the burn process.

Cheers,
                                                                                      --
                                                                                      Neale

1 2 Previous Next