Linking from image in swf to another .chm

Enthusiast ,
Nov 14, 2007 Nov 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

* RoboHelp 6
* Vista
* HTMLHelp (.chm) Output

Here's my situation. I have a master .chm and the main intro / welcome page the user sees, contains an embedded flash file (.swf file). Inside the swf there are some images that when clicked on are supposed to jump the user to sub .chm files that are merged into the master .chm. However, when I click on the link nothing happens. I can link to actual pages in the main help file and to pages on the web, but it won't open a sub .chm help file.

My work around for this was to create a redirection .htm inside the main help that used this javascript code to push the link to the actual .chm file:

<script LANGUAGE=JavaScript>
window.location="pcdmisip.chm::/Inspection_Planner_Introduction.htm";
</script>

This does work. However, because of the redirection, users can't use the help viewer's "Back" button anymore to get to the main page with the .swf, because clicking Back hits the redirection and just pushes the user right back to the current page.

Any suggestions on getting links to sub .chm projects work from within a .swf file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JaredHess

What are you using to create the .SWF? If you aren't getting a .SWF to link properly, oftentimes it is because of security restrictions that are set by the Flash control. I have a tutorial on setting these that may help. You may view it by clicking here. Note that it has a link to the Flash Settings Manager so you don't have to hunt it up.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks Rick. I'm using an older version of SWiSH (version 2.0) to create this .swf file. I don't think it's a problem with the Flash security setting. I went ahead and added my project folder, but still the same thing (that is, nothing) happens when I click on the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp