0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2013 12:10 AM by GuyOX4

Can't access app.activeDocument on Mac

GuyOX4 Level 2

I am writing a Photoshop plug in in ActionScript 3.

I am having a very confusing and frustrating issue with app.activeDocument.  My code works perfectly with Photoshop for Windows but on a Mac I get the "General Photoshop error occured. This Functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop." error.

To try and get to the root of the issue, I wrote a class just to get the document reference and called it from a test panel.  The class call worked perfectly.  I then included the same class in my main panel project and it breaks.

This is my class: -

package DocRefGetter
          {
           import com.adobe.csawlib.photoshop.Photoshop;
           import com.adobe.photoshop.*;

public class DocRefPhotoshop
           {

public static function getDocRef():Document
            {
             var app:Application = Photoshop.app;

var thisDoc:Document = app.activeDocument;
             //var thisDoc:Document = app.documents.index(0);  //Tried this method too

return thisDoc;

}
           }
          }

For the purpose of posting here, I have simplified things a little, i.e. I have removed things like the "try, catch" statements but essentially this is the code that does not work in the context of my panel.  I also tried the equivalent call to JSX code with exactly the same result, worked perfectly for Windows, worked in a test panel on Mac, would not work in my main project on Mac.

As I said, inside a test, this works perfectly.  Here is the test mxml code: -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
          <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute" historyManagementEnabled="false">
           <mx:Script>
            <![CDATA[
             import DocRefGetter.DocRefPhotoshop;

import com.adobe.photoshop.Document;

[Bindable]
             private var hostName:String = HostObject.mainExtension;

protected function button1_clickHandler(event:MouseEvent):void
             {
              var thisDocRef:Document = DocRefPhotoshop.getDocRef();
              testLabel.text = String(thisDocRef);
             }

]]>
           </mx:Script>
           <mx:VBox height="100%" width="100%" verticalAlign="middle" horizontalAlign="center">
            <mx:Button label="Run PS code" click="button1_clickHandler(event)" />
            <mx:Label id="testLabel" width="182" text="Label"/>
           </mx:VBox>
          </mx:Application>

I can't post the main application that it isn't working in as it is extremely large and complicated so what I am asking is has anyone come across a situation before where somehow something is conflicting with this type of document reference?  I have been trying to resolve this for over a week now.  I have tried many different solutions but nothing has worked.  Mac Photoshop just simply doesn't want to see the open document.

Any suggestions are welcome but I am hoping most that someone has come across this exact situation before and has a precise solution.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to take a look at this.