1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 18, 2013 6:53 AM by c.pfaffenbichler

Proper support for Fuji EXR Raw Files

w0912313

There is still no proper support for Fuji  EXR Raw files.  On any Fuji X-series camera, the in-camera raw processing, including specifying options always outputs a far superior image that Adobe Camera Raw 6.  I've been using an X100 for some time now, and have really gathered some great images with it. But Adobe Camera Raw fails miserably to understand how to process these files.

This is more of a complaint and feature request than a question, because I already know the answer. Adobe has not worked close enough, or at all, with Fuji to develop a Raw processor for the EXR pixel layout.

The EXR pixel arrangement offers new possibilities, especially the ability to take an HDR image of a moving subject, and without a tripod. The elimination of the low-pass filter allows for more sharpness, and finally the noise pattern is much more "film-like".

I've been using Adobe Photoshop for processing images for years, but have no compelling reason to upgrade without a proper conversion for Fuji RAW files.

Adobe: Please work with Fuji to bring world-class support for EXR Raw images.

Thank you,

William

• 1. Re: Proper support for Fuji EXR Raw Files
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Good day!

Adobe has not worked close enough, or at all, with Fuji to develop a Raw processor for the EXR pixel layout.

There seems to be a reason why Adobe has to reverse engineer RAW formats – the camera manufacturers don’t want their customers to use Adobe (and other) software to process their RAW files. (If their proprietary software gets better results then that’s understandable, but for how long are they going to support their own software?)

Now maybe Fuji is more cooperative than others, but do you know that for certain?

I've been using Adobe Photoshop for processing images for years, but have no compelling reason to upgrade without a proper conversion for Fuji RAW files.

If the new/improved features of Photoshop CS6 have no significance for the way you process, manage, edit and touch-up photographs feel free to stick with whatever version of Photoshop you use currently, but be aware that hardware/OS changes on your side may some day make that version inoperable on your set-up.

Also the upgrade path has been cut down to one version, if I understand correctly.

Anyway, this is a beginners Forum, feature requests might be better posted over at

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Regards,

Pfaffenbichler