6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2013 4:22 PM by the_wine_snob

CS6 Video won't play properly

Dav33

Video will not play properly [audio plays well video hangs ] in Adobe Photoshop CS6 running on a Win7-64 machine equipment with a quad-core processor. Video plays properly in Lightroom 4 and Bridge CS6.

What is the solution?

• 1. Re: CS6 Video won't play properly
          Curt Y Level 7

What video card do you have.  Are drivers up to date?

• 2. Re: CS6 Video won't play properly
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Playing Video and editing Video are two, almost totally different things. In PS, you are editing the Video, and not just playing it back.

Along with the answer to Curt's question, can you please tell us exactly what the specs. of your Video files are? This article goes into much more detail about some of the aspects of a Video file: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

Also, I see that you have a Quad-core CPU. Some Video CODEC's (the building blocks of Video files) are very, very CPU intensive, such as AVCHD, and most flavors of H.264. That info that I asked for might point to material that is just too taxing for your CPU, or it might well be something else.

Good luck, and please let us know more,

Hunt

• 3. Re: CS6 Video won't play properly
              Dav33 Level 1

Nvidia Geforce GTS 450; Win experience graphics score 7.1; driver date 12/29/12 from Nvidia; Driver current in Win7 driver update.

• 4. Re: CS6 Video won't play properly
                Dav33 Level 1

Hi Bill,

In addition to the material I supplied to Curt, the processor I'm using is an Intel Q 6600 running at 3.15 GHz. On the Windows experience Index which runs from 1 to 7.9. Both my CPU and RAM score 7.3.  I am shooting video with a Canon 5D3 which uses the H.264 codec with a .mov file format. But my hardware does not seem to be a problem.

Yesterday I shot some video using the "IPB" compression method, and today using the "ALL-I" one frame at a time compression method and both ran perfectly fine in CS6. The video that will not play I shot in Europe with the same camera using the IPB compression. The file appears to load correctly, but if you try to move the time slider or press the diamond "start" button, the  file-load Curly-Q appears and nothing happens. If you try to move the time slider, that too will hang. After some period of time, the time slider will jump forward, a new frame will appear and the file will freeze again. I did mix stills on the same memory card and subsequently corrected the "date created" time for the six-hour time difference between Europe and the US. That is the only thing that I can think of that may have caused some sort of problems. What are your thoughts?

Dave

• 5. Re: CS6 Video won't play properly
                  Dav33 Level 1

Curt & Bill,

The video files that would not run in CS6 do from a backup memory card. These files have the original non-adjusted "creation times" and pehaps video timing as well? Anyway, problem resolved if not understood.

Thaks for your help.

Dave

• 6. Re: CS6 Video won't play properly
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

That you now are up and editing smoothly, might be as good as it gets. Thanks for reporting your success, and continued good luck.

Happy editing,

Hunt