7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2007 9:39 AM by kglad

Movements that just stop

EnvsionSweden
      We have built a flash applikation in Actionscript 3 and over all it works just fine. We have one problem though. As we click to get another view the objects we are about to move freeze before they come to the sprcified location. The flash application still works and as we change to another view the object moves as they should. This error appears now and then but are quite annoying. Does anyone have an idea what we can do to solve this problem?
        • 1. Re: Movements that just stop
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          what do you mean by, "As we click to get another view the objects..."?
          what do you mean by, they freeze?
          is this something that occurs while testing your application or in the authoring environment?
          • 2. Re: Movements that just stop
            EnvsionSweden Level 1
            That was a fast response.... Thanks!

This is what we do:
            We grab questions and answers from an XML file and this data is used to place our objects on a certain distance from a question. If the answer is positive the objects are closer to the question and if they are negative they are further away from the question. As we change questions the object change place depending on their answers. As these object are moved towards and away from the question they stop before they reach their location. This happens as we test the application....

Throw questions at me and Iäll try to explain it as good as I can...
            • 3. Re: Movements that just stop
              the data from the xml is completely loaded (and never reloaded) before any questions are presented (and answers recorded), correct?

if no, that would cause a delay in movement start while loading is occuring.

if yes, is there a lot of object moving on-stage at one time? if no, you have a coding problem. copy and paste (using the attach code option) the code that causes your objects to move.
              • 4. Re: Movements that just stop
                EnvsionSweden Level 1
                We do have a lot of object moving on stage at the same time. Is that the problem and if so, is there anyway to do this without this irretating effect? I have talked to the programmer of the Actionscript and we could send you some of the code or all of it (hehe) if you think you can give us a hint on how to solve it...
                • 5. Re: Movements that just stop
                  if your objects are only moving (and not rotating, scaling etc), you can enable their cacheAsBitmap property and realize a significant performance benefit.
                  • 6. Re: Movements that just stop
                    EnvsionSweden Level 1
                    We will try that. In fact we were talking about when moving movieclips with movieclips within etc etc that it would create a huge amount of movements and that really sounds like a great way to decrease the amount of objects moving if I understand it right. Anyway, I will let you know how it works out and be sure I'll give you creds when it's done :D Cheers!