2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2013 10:18 AM by celuloyd

    Referencing a Spreadsheet to Change Catalog Part Numbers

    celuloyd Level 1

      I might have to ask this question in the InDesign Scripting forum, but I thought I'd start here.

       

      We are using InDesign CS4 on Windows XP. We create 12 catalogs bi-annually (24 total) with thousands of parts in each one. We now need to change all those part numbers to new ones. I can get a spreadsheet that has the old numbers and the corresponding new numbers. Is there a way, maybe using GREP (with which I am not familiar at all) or something else, that could reference the spreadsheet, find the old part number, and replace it with the new number? This would save weeks of work.

       

      Thanks,

      Lloyd

        • 1. Re: Referencing a Spreadsheet to Change Catalog Part Numbers
          Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

          No, unless the earlier edition had been built using Data Merge which talks to a spreadsheet in order to populate the data in. Failing that, if every part number is unique, and your new part numbers are unique, you will have to hand edit each and every one. If there is a similarity or rhythm to the numbering, you have a small chance that some clever scripting could speed up the process. If you want me to evaluate the project for you, send me a copy of it via email.

          • 2. Re: Referencing a Spreadsheet to Change Catalog Part Numbers
            celuloyd Level 1

            Thanks Michael.

             

            I found some scripts that claim to do what I'm trying to do, but they entail placing the table of part numbers into the document and then running the script, but all it does is change the part numbers IN the table ... not a big help. I've asked the person who created that script a few questions, but I haven't heard anything yet.

             

            The average document file size is 35MB, and the Excel file is 4MB, so emailing might be a problem.

             

            There might also be a problem because there are 59,000 part numbers in the Excel file; I'm not sure, though, because I know nothing about scripting.

             

            Thanks anyway,

            Lloyd