3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 10:00 AM by Giraf_Raf

Error playing movie on slow connection

liorchaga

I get the following error when I load a movie with slow connection:

Cannot read property 'symbolData' of undefined

I've managed to find the cause:

Movie_edgeActions.js file is invoked with autonomous function as soon as it loads. Unfortunately, the Movie_edge.js file is usually much bigger than the edgeActions file (we're talking about dozens of kbs for the edge file compared to 3, maybe 5 kb for the edgeActions file). So on slow connection, the actions file is executed before the edge file is even loaded into the browser.

Very easy to simulate:

Open the movie with fiddler running as a proxy.

Use fiddler "simulate modem speeds" and "Disable Caching" options (Rules->Performance).

I think it's a serious bug. It's very likely to happen when surfing on 3G...

Until it is fixed (I'd love to have a due date estimation), I'm planning on manually changing the autonomous function call, and call it myself when both files are loaded. I'll try to cope with it myself, but if anyone has already done it, or know how I should do it, I'd be happy to get some guidance.

Addition: I've changed the anonymous function to a named function and I call it on AdobeEdge.bootstrapCallback (I did something similiar to this post).

It works great with normal connection, but on slow connection the callback is never called. Moreover, I see the edge.js file being transfered on fiddler with http status 200, I also see it in chromes network monitor with status 200, but it doesn't get added to the scripts list on chrome developer tools. So I think the problem is actually in the preloader itself. I'll try working around it somehow...

Last thing regarding performance - is there a plan to include in the publish an option to create the entire movie (preloader, actions and edge) as a single minified js file?

We have an implementation that coordinate 5 different movies, which implies loading 15 different js files (or at least 10, because I can integrate the preloaders into my own js file). As you probably understood, on 3G it can mean lot of times until the entire application is loaded.

Thanks,

Lior

• 1. Re: Error playing movie on slow connection
          liorchaga Level 1

Changing AdobeEdge.yepnope.errorTimeout in the preloader solved the problem.

I changed it from 4000 to 400000.

EDIT:  I reverted the changes in the actions file (it works also with autonomous function).

The AdobeEdge.yepnope.errorTimeout is declared inside AdobeEdge.requestResources function in the preloader, so I declared this function in my main html, so it won't be overriden by any of the generated preloaders.

• 2. Re: Error playing movie on slow connection
            killahfhonix

EDIT:  I reverted the changes in the actions file (it works also with autonomous function).

The AdobeEdge.yepnope.errorTimeout is declared inside AdobeEdge.requestResources function in the preloader, so I declared this function in my main html, so it won't be overriden by any of the generated preloaders

What do you mean "so I declared this function in my main html".
            Can you help me by providing samples of your code? This errorr is pissing me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Cheers.

• 3. Re: Error playing movie on slow connection
              Giraf_Raf

Hello,

This problem interess me too. How can I change the errorTimeout ? Where is it ?

Thanks !