4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 9:49 AM by John Danek

Small studio - Colour workflow best practice

lister110 Level 1

Hi Everyone,

Could someone help..

I have a small studio using Adobe Cloud CS6. My work is covers retouching, artworking and digital. My knowledge of a colour workflow is very limited, and in various studios I've worked in have different rules so I'm a little confused in whats the best procedure in setting everything up for colour management. I know its quite a big subject but I could do with a little advice.

My setup:

Adobe CS 6

Photoshop

Indesign

Illustrator

Dell 24"

Eye Once Display 2

Printer

Epson 4880

Profile for final printers

FOGRA39 (COATED)

FOGRA39 (UNCOATED)

I'm a little wary of Synchronising Bridge across various applications as I've had problems with colour shifting in illustrator what do other users do?

Rob

• 1. Re: Small studio - Colour workflow best practice
          gator soup Level 4

i am sure there are a lot of opinions on this, but i would recommend using these settings:

SettingsSrgb.png

WORKING SPACES:

sRGB and US Web Coated SWOP v2

because those are arguably the safest colorspaces...

COLOR MANAGEMENT POLICIES

3 Preserve Embedded Profiles

3 checked boxes

because they will Preserve embedded ICC profiles, AND warn you of profile problems...

• 2. Re: Small studio - Colour workflow best practice
            lister110 Level 1

do you syncronise profiles across all apps so each can display the same? I think for Europe the profile FOGRA39 covers more printers is that correct?

thanks for replying..

• 3. Re: Small studio - Colour workflow best practice
              gator soup Level 4

>> I think for Europe the profile FOGRA39 covers more printers is that correct?

yes, if that is the most common in your area

do you syncronise profiles across all apps so each can display the same?

more importantly, IMHO, is setting up the color-managed apps to Preserve embedded profiles and Warn you of missing or mismatched profiles

with those settings, Adobe color-managed apps will use the embedded profile automatcially or they will give you a warning dialog and ask you what to do

in Photoshop, my Working RGB is ProPhotoRGB, in my other apps it is usually sRGB

• 4. Re: Small studio - Colour workflow best practice
                John Danek Level 4

The info Gator Soup ( cute ) gave you is application color settings that are incorporated into the file upon Save.  Printer profiles are completely separate and not the same.  Try to think of them as separate.  I like to think of color management as preparing the file for interpretation by either the print driver or the RIP. So, commonly, it's a matter of customization because no two files are the same and no two jobs are entirely the same.  You have to take the paper being printed into consideration, as well as the actual print device.  I very seldom have projects for web offset printing, so I use a different setting based on the dominant workflow characteristics inherent in my work.  I suspect Gator is doing the same thing with his RGB setting of sRGB.  One of the items not mentioned yet is Rendering Intent or Use Black Point Compensation.  If you guessed I do not synch my apps, you'd be correct.  Although a good idea at a glance ( and I do recommend synch'g for those who choose to ), I prefer to separate my Ps files with my Ai files, mainly because I consider them not the same.  Here's what I use:

Screen shot 2013-02-19 at 02-19-13 ◊ 12.08.24 PM.png

You'll notice my Rendering Intent is et for "Relative Colorimetric" in Ai ( above );

Screen shot 2013-02-19 at 02-19-13 ◊ 12.09.33 PM.png

And in Ps Rendering Intent is set for "Perceptual" ( above ).  Shown is "Ask When Opening" deselected, I will change those to "selected".  Other settings are virtually identitical to Illustrator's.  My InDesign settings are the same as Illustrator's.

Each workstation may be slightly different as you've seen from the different places you've worked.  I prefer it that way, because each workflow may be slightly different.  Some workstations may be limited to only internet based operations or new media where the gamut is not the same as a print environment.  So, you have to determine how you want your files interpreted and set your application settings accordingly.  Is there a wrong or right answer?  It all depends on your workflow.  Are you "Open-Loop" or "Closed-Loop"?  Sounds like you are open-loop which means you cannot rely on an automated approach to color settings.  Like Gator, I like warnings like this file may be profiled to a different setting, what do you want to do?  You are given an opportunity to re-assign a profile to your file based on where it is going.