26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 5:59 PM by Jeff Schewe

Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?

Cathlete

Okay, I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting a link to another forum. The reason I'm doing this is so that I don't have to keep covering the same questions over and over again. In this previous forum I have already answered probably most of the questions you  might ask, plus I have posted a picture of what my computer is doing to some of my pictures and I've posted a link to a RAW file where so far no one else has been able to duplicate the problem. Last week I downloaded the latest update to CS6 and since then I'm having this problem which is why I don't believe this is an issue with my CF card, camera, cable, or card reader. Again, if I'm violating proper forum etiquette I'm sorry, I just didn't want to have to keep repeating myself. Thanks for any help and advice you guys can give me. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1276253

• 1. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
          RASouthworth Level 3

I for one am not going to invoke an unknown website.  This is a knowledgeable forum wrt ACR issues, but I believe you'll have to provide the relevant info and a link to your sample picture to gain assistance.

Richard Southworth

• 2. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

On my computer, the link you provided took me to a web page where I had to click on the Canon forums, and then I would have had to read through all the forums in order to find your post.  Maybe others will know what you are referring to, but I'm not going to try to read through everything.

• 3. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
              Cathlete Level 1

I'm trying to insert the right link but for some reason it won't let me. I've tried three times now and it keeps adding some weird link instead. Basically I'm editing  using Camera RAW in CS6. About 8 of the 12 pictures that I edited are fine but the rest look like the one I've included (or hopefully included). Thru the process of elimination (and repeated trials) I've figured out that I can save the RAW files to the messed up pictures as JPEGs (quality 10-12) on my computer and they're fine whether they've been edited or not. I can also save those same pictures after being converted to B&W (converted by changing the picture to grey scale and then tweaking contrast, shadows, highlights, etc) but only at a quality of 8-9, as soon as I try to save them at a quality of 10-12, they look like the picture I've included. I've tried doing all the same things using Lightroom 3 and I have no problems. I'm using a PC since I know that's one thing you'll want to know and prior to downloading the update to CS6 last week-I've never had this problem. Hang on. I kept getting error messages when trying to upload the picture so I tried it several times. Now when I try to add the picture, it has it stacked numerous times. It won't let me delete the images and start again so I'm going to see if I can reload it and post it after this comment. Sorry for all the issues I'm having, I've never had them anywhere else before.

• 4. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please restate your question, here, and include your what-you-see images using the camera icon along the top of the forum messages.  The other forum you linked to requires creating a new user to look at attachments so it’s unlikely anyone will bother reading all the rest of things without being able to see your original images.

This is the raw file link on page three of that other forum which doesn’t appear to have any problems but also isn’t the image you’re referring to, originally.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/UW16TmZaQk5lcEo3czhUQw

The link you posted has an extra http// in it making it not work.  The actual link is:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1276253

• 5. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                  Cathlete Level 1

I just keep getting this blasted error message whenever I try to insert my image! Okay, I'm glad that you at least got to the Canon Forum Jim. Since I can't seem to load my dagone image on this forum, can you go to the Canon Forum and search for, "Any Idea Why My Picture Looks Like This?" It should take you right to my question and all the information about it that you could possibly want to know. Again, I'm sorry to ask you guys to go thru all this trouble but I can't seem to get anything I'm trying to do to work on this forum. My screen name on the Canon Forum is "Fitness Freak".

• 6. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                    Cathlete Level 1

The picture that I can't seem to post (the one of what I'm seeing) is on the very first page of that link.

• 7. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?

I downloaded your image from the link provided by.  It loaded normally using ACR 6.7.  I don't understand your question.

• 8. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                        Cathlete Level 1

If you click on the link "ssprengel" (#4 above our posts) posted it will take you right to the first page of the forum where I posted the messed up picture. I can't figure out why the picture looks like that once it's saved as a JPEG when the RAW file that you downloaded is clearly fine.

• 9. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What error are you getting when you try to attach a screenshot using the camera icon at the top of where you type in on the web-forum version of this conversation?

• 10. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?

Someone else is going to have to help you.  The one link allows me to download an image of two old vehicles.  The image looks normal and fine.  The other link requires a login in order to see anything other than the message.  I'm not a member of that forum, and I'm not going to join.  I have no need.  I don't use Canon gear.  So, hopefully, someone else will be able to help you.

• 11. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                              Cathlete Level 1

Every time I try to attach the image, it says, "An error ocurred trying to retrieve data from the server. Please try again in a few minutes. Error Code: Unable to get value of the property "image": object is null or undefined.

• 12. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                Noel Carboni Level 7

Why don't you upload the image from your computer instead of trying to link to another server?  You can upload e.g., a JPEG of up to 2 megabytes in size here.

Forget about linking to other sites.  No one here wants to go to another site.  Please try to make it easy for people to help you here.

-Noel

• 13. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                  Cathlete Level 1

Noel, if you look at my post above you, I've tried to upload the JPEG NUMEROUS times and I keep getting the error message mentioned above which is the reason I keep trying to get someone to just look at the first page of the link because apparently that's the only way anyone on here is ever going to see it. Unless someone wants to send me an email address where I can send the JPEG, I don't know any other way to show you all what I'm talking about.

• 14. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                    kthibault

Hi folks - I am a member of the Canon "Photography On The Net" (POTN) forum where the OP has asked the same question and to which she attempted to link in this forum.  The problem she appears to be having is that when she opens and edits 5DII raw files and saves them in PSCS6 as JPEGs the JPEGs end up with the appearance typically seen with a corrupt raw file (like one in which a read or write problem has occurred with a card reader).  The strange thing is, the raw file itself can be opened within ACR and brouhgt into PSCS6.  There appears to be some issue, according to the OP, with a particular threshold of JPEG compression that may be resulting in the bad JPEG file's appearance.  She is trying to find out if anyone is having similar issues with their most recent update to PSCS6 possibly causing similar problems.

The workflow, as much as I have been able to gather, is that the OP does not have a CF card reader, so she downloads the raw files via USB.  Although she has not stated explcitly how she does it, she then converts the raw files to DNG.  Each DNG is opened in ACR via mini-bridge and then brought into PS for editing.  Once the edits are performed, the file is saved as a JPEG.  For purposes of her print work, she decided that saving at max JPEG quality 12 was imperative. 

Initially, turning down the quality to <10 cleared up the issue, but then some images that were converted to black and white (although I do not know if the files themselves were still RGB or grayscale) and saved at quality level 8-9 caused the same saved JPEG appearance, as one would tpyically see in a corrupt raw file.  Although the black and white versus color thing may be a red herrring, the sporadic issue apparently persists under certain circumstances that may or may not be niformly reprodicible.

So, the bottom line is that the OP is trying to find out where in the workflow chain this error might be occurring and how to fix it.  I also tried breaking the raw file linked above via yousendit and had no problems saving it to sRGB, aRGB, grayscale, using both Save As... and Save for Web in CS6 with no problems.  I tried all of these variations at both JPEG 12 and JPEG 8-9.

Apparently the computer and install of CS6 is new as of late last year.  I do not know the OS, but it is a Windows machine.  All of the "testing" I did was on a Mac.

My guess is that the OP is trying to find out if anyone in the Adboe forum community has heard of similar issues, especially after the latest update to PSCS6, as this problem has just started to occur and the recent upate is the most obvious thing, timing wise, that would coincide with the issue's appearance.  It could also be a corrupt hard disk, or computer-related issue, but I am not a Windows user so I will defer in that regard.

I'll also take this opportunity to introduce myself to the Adobe forum - hello everyone!  Post number one complete.

Hope this helps.

kirk

Here is an example of one of the saved-from-within-PSCS6 JPEG files with the issue, posted by the OP in the thread on the other forum - I ahve reposted it here with assumed permission from the OP - if this presents a problem (forum rules, etc.) please notify me and I will remove it.  Frankly, I don't think it would be objectionable to the OP and will hopefully serve to clarify the issue furhter.

http://kirkt.smugmug.com/Photography/Photo-of-the-Day/i-m9HkrfX/0/X3/Vintage%20soda%20bottles-X3.jpg

• 15. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                      Cathlete Level 1

THANK YOU KIRK!!!! You are awesome! Yes, I'm using a PC with Windows 7. Since my card reader doesn't have a CF slot, I have to run a USB cable from my Canon 5D Mark II directily to my computer, turn my camera on and then I either download the images using Windows Picture Manager or whatever it's called or I download them into CS6. I've done both with these pictures in an attempt to figure out what the problem is, I've also downloaded the RAW files into CS6 batch converting all these files into DNGs and then later downloading them again as straight RAW files. The images are fine until I edit them to B&W and try to save them at a higher quality (10-12 vs. 8-9) and then they look like the image above. They look fine when viewed in the folder on my computer where I placed them as long as I view them as a thumbnail, as soon as I enlarge the image by clicking on it, it looks like this (above image).

• 16. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?

If your question is whether or not others are seeing this problem, I think the answer is, no.  I downloaded your image, opened it in Photoshop CS5/ACR 6.7 and it opened fine.  I opened it in Lightroom 4.3, exported a JPEG image, and it exported just fine.  How full is your hard drive?  How old is your hard drive?  It could be that you are experiencing a hard drive failure, or you could have some bad RAM.  Maybe it's time for a good system check up.

• 17. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                          Noel Carboni Level 7

Thanks for facilitating, Kirk.

I was thinking RAM failure myself, or possibly corruption due to driver issues.

It's also interesting that Cathlete is having trouble with the forum.  Though we don't typically blame that on anything but the forum software, it could be an indication of a system problem.

I found the "old car" raw file (IMG_0348.cr2) to open and save well.  I tried it on Photoshop CS5 and CS6.   I'm on Windows 7 x64.

-Noel

• 18. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                            Cathlete Level 1

Well, the computer is brand new, I just bought it in November and I still have plenty of space on my hardrive. As far as anyone else experiencing the issue, you're correct-no one else can duplicate it. Maybe I'll have to have the computer looked at-that's just going to be a pain in and of itself since I live in a border town 3 miles from Mexico and 150 miles from civilization. I can't exaclty swing by and drop off the computer and then swing back by to pick it up after it's been checked. Anyway, yes, what I've been trying to find out all along is if it's possible that the problem could be due to the CS6 software update since that's when my problems began or if that's just purely coincidental. IS it possible that this issue is being caused by the update? I saw on this forum that someone else was having issues (completely different) after downloading the update. Anyway, thanks for listing a few possible causes of the problem.

PS.

I had to edit this because I forgot another potentially important point. If I edit

these RAW or DNG files in Lightroom 3 I have absolutely no issues, it's only in CS6 since downloading

the software.

• 19. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Cathlete wrote:

The images are fine until I edit them to B&W and try to save them at a higher quality (10-12 vs. 8-9) and then they look like the image above.

To troubleshoot the issues, we need the EXACT steps you are taking. For example, you say you are converting from color to B&W, right? Are you converting in Camera Raw or in Photoshop? Are you saving the images from Camera Raw or Photoshop?

There is a known issue with Camera Raw 7.3 where B&W images saved as grayscale images from Camera Raw in JPEG are corrupted because of a bad profile. The work around is to open the images into Photoshop (and not save from Camera Raw) and then save as JPEGs. Alternatively, you can still save JPEGs from Camera Raw is you embedded a color profile instead of a greyscale profile, so, save the JPEG as an Adobe RGB, sRGB or ProPhoto RGB color space instead of greyscale.

This is a known issue which will be fixed in the next version of ACR.

• 20. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                                RASouthworth Level 3

Cathlete,

I read "The images are fine until I edit them to B&W and try to save them at a higher quality (10-12 vs. 8-9)...", are you only having a problem when doing the B&W conversion?  If so can you provide a step by step description as to how you're performing the conversion?

Richard Southworth

• 21. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                                  Cathlete Level 1

YES!! Jeff that is EXACTLY what the problem is!! I'm editing in Mini-bridge, then I open the images using Camera RAW, I convert the images to greyscale, then do my tweaks with contrast, shadows, highlights, etc. until the image is how I want it and then I save it as a JPEG from Camera RAW to a file on my computer. So it sounds like the problem is a known one and all I have to do is skip using the greyscale and just slide my saturation slider all the way to the left to make it B&W right? I think you guys have figured out my problem and answered my question of is anyone else having this problem? Thanks! Oh, and yes, RASouthworth, I only have this problem when I convert images to B&W

• 22. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                                    RASouthworth Level 3

No, you can do the conversion using the "Convert to Grayscale" checkbox, but you can't save the jpeg with the default grayscale profile.  Notice that after you do the conversion the link at the bottom of ACR changes from your color profile to grayscale.  Click on it and change it back to sRGB, then you can save out as normal.

Richard Southworth

• 23. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                                      Cathlete Level 1

Cool! Got it. Thanks so much!

• 24. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                                        RASouthworth Level 3

Mainly you should thank Jeff, we've been down this road before as to the B&W conversion bug, and he was the only one that remembered.

Richard Southworth

• 25. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                                          Cathlete Level 1

RASouthworth wrote:

Mainly you should thank Jeff, we've been down this road before as to the B&W conversion bug, and he was the only one that remembered.

Richard Southworth

Well, I thank all of you that  stuck with me and tried to figure this out. I was getting so frustrated that I couldn't even convey my issue by posting a picture so I appreciate all your help and patience. I'm relieved that I now have an answer and it's not my camera, CF card, cable, hardrive, RAM or any of the other possibilities being considered. And now if anyone else comes along with the same issue, they can see a picture with the problem.

• 26. Re: Can anyone explain to me why my picture looks like this?
                                                            Jeff Schewe Level 5

RASouthworth wrote:

Yep...I saw the first report, tried it myself, confirmed the bug and reported it to Eric Chan. It should be fixed with ACR 7.4.

The only thing I would add is that it's really important to fully explain exactly what steps may result in an unexpected result when posting here.

It wasn't until Kirk mentioned something about B&W and JPEG that my spidey senses kicked in. Once it could be confirmed that the OP was saving out of ACR (and not Photoshop) that the grayscale profile problem came to mind. I'm just glad we got it all figured out...