- Select the silver frame shape, and your white shapes
- Pathfinder >> minus front
As I (mis)understand it, you can just select the grey gradient rectangle and the white rounded rectangles, then Object>Compound Path>Make.
Edit: Hi Mike.
Mike: That works!
Jacob: That works too!
In both case:
- the text (it's faint, but there is some above each window) goes away
- the rectangles loose their rounded corners appearance
I'll work on these and report back.
Thank you both!
Here's how I solved the final cleanup:
- the text disappearing was a stacking order problem -- when you make a compound path, it's stacks at the top of the layer -- simple matter to re-order
- the rectangles with rounded corners appearance lost their roundedness no matter what I tried -- I redid them as rounded rectangle objects and that was fine
Puzzle solved. Thank you Mike and Jacob.
For my part you are welcome, ac.
To get the round corners appearance to work, you can just select all the rectangles with the Rounded Corner effect and Object>Expand Appearance: that will change them to simple/regular rounded rectangles.
when you make a compound path, it's stacks at the top of the layer
Not quite: it is stacked where the topmost constituent path was, so at least one of the rectangles with the Rounded Rectangle effects must have been above the live Type.
You are right again: one of the rectangles was at the top of the stack.
I did not know about Object>ExpandAppearance.
Thank you again!
You are welcome, ac, and welcome to this friendly forum.