4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2013 9:00 AM by John T Smith

Help with saving (and general freeze troubles)

Chris & Janice

Hello all,

We bought Premiere Elements to make a better final version of a 7 1/2 minute short film that we previously had complied with Windows Movie Maker. (We remade the adobe version from original films, not from movie maker)  We like the many improved features, including excellent subtitling with shadow outlines.  However, we have a number of problems, and now a short time to our deadline:

We have had the program freeze & stop working many many times (dozens at least).

Rendering takes a long long time, and often stops before reaching 100%.

Short term fixes have included making sure that all of our original (.MTS) video and audio files are on our hard drive, and freeing up as much space as possible (so that we now have at least 150 GB free out of a system with about 360 GB).  I fear it is lack of memory that is causing the problems - we have an HP m8125x with Intel 2 Quad Q6600 at 2.40 GHz and 4 GB RAM, 32 bit operating system.

The biggest problem, which perhaps someone can help with is that I cannot save my final movie - when I try to save as an MPEG I get a "cannot multiplex" error.  In any other format (mov or adobe flash) I get an "unknown error."  I have read the manual about export settings and tried to figure out what to do to no avail.  We need the final format as either an MP4 or MOV file.  We did not change the presets in opening our project, they are in NTSC (capture in HDV) and we are in the states.

A month or so ago we did successfully created one test video and save/exported it, but for some reason this project is much more thorny.

Any suggestions, especially in the next day or 2, would be super welcome.

thanks,

Janice

• 1. Re: Help with saving (and general freeze troubles)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Janice,

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you have posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, which is basically a repository for articles on how to do things in Premiere. Few subscribers ever stop by here. I am Moving your post to the main forum, where you will get many more "eyes," and reponses.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Help with saving (and general freeze troubles)
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Janice,

First, for the crashes and hangs, I would take a look at this FAQ Entry. It starts with a general checklist on getting PrE running best, then goes into some OS/system tune-up, and ends with a bunch of links on troubleshooting: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

With MTS files, I need to ask if these are AVCHD? If so, then you will want your Project to be set up for AVCHD and not HDV (a different HD format entirely). It might also be useful to know what the make and model of the video camera used to record the MTS files is, as some present specific challenges.

Is all of your Audio from those MTS files, or do you perhaps have other Audio Source files, like MP3's?

Your CPU is going to be weak, for working with AVCHD (or any H.264 CODEC material), but you should only see that in playback, and usually by a lack of smoothness. The 4GB RAM is not a lot, but with a 32-bit OS, is the best that you can do.

The 150GB of free-space on your HDD should be adequate.

I have not read of a failure to Multiplex, but if your Source Material does not match your Project Settings, that could be a result.

I am sure that others will have more questions and suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Help with saving (and general freeze troubles)
              Chris & Janice Level 1

Thanks so much - the originals were MTS / AVCHD files originally from a panasonic lumix camera.  We have added a couple of audio files, which are MP3 and other formats.  Is it possible that simply the audio files are what is preventing the export?

I will review that FAQ and make sure there aren't some quick fixes in our computer that can help.

With appreciation,

Jan

• 4. Re: Help with saving (and general freeze troubles)
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>audio files, which are MP3 and other formats

It is not usual, but mp3 audio HAS been known to cause problems... convert to WAV and try again