6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 7:22 AM by cfg_2451 RSS

editing audio in audition

rmartin215 Community Member

CS6.  I can edit premiere audio clips in audition, which renders and replaces them.  After I match the volume of a number of clips, I want to replace the old with the edited clips.  Is it possible to do this in one operation?

• 1. Re: editing audio in audition
          Alan Craven Community Member

Right click on the file you wish to replace, select Replace Asset, and in the dialogue box, navigate to the replacement file, click Open, and Bingo!

• 2. Re: editing audio in audition
            J. Simon Community Member

I'm confused.  When you send audio to Audition for editing, those changes show up automatically in PP.  You don't need to do anything for this to happen.

• 3. Re: editing audio in audition
              SFL46 Community Member

When you return from Audition, the original audio clip in the sequence will have a green background color that distinguishes from clips that were not sent to Audition.

Are you asking to have the audition clips written back out to your input media?

If you are attempting the match the volume between audition adjusted clips and those that were not, you do that by using the volume effect on the clip.  If you have multiple clips, you can "duplicate attributees" to apply the same leveling to other clips. 

• 4. Re: editing audio in audition
                rmartin215 Community Member

I want to thank everybody for the suggestions.  However, with my system, CS6 creative cloud, none of them work as indicated.

For a simple example, I have three audio clips in premiere.  My goal is to match the volume of the three either using one of them, or match all three re to perceived loudness.   CS5 - Soundbooth accomplishes this, but each clip has to be sent separately to SB, which then changes the original to extracted in the Premiere Timeline.  (This would be a laborious task in my project; there are over 25 clips to match.) After SB matches the clips, exiting it results in the original extracted files in Premiere changed appropriately.  At this point, one click and it is done.

In CS6, there seem to be two ways to edit them from Premiere to Audition:  as a sequence, or as multiple clips.  Although I can modify the clips in Audition, I have no idea how to use the results from editing the sequence, and can find no explanation anywhere.

If I select multiple clips, and "edit clip in audition" they all appear in Audition, some as extracted.  If I change amplitude for each clip separately, there is a "saveall" command, which then results in all of the clips being changed appropriately when clicked on in the Premiere Timeline.

However, if the clips are "matched," then there is no saveall command and each one has to be treated separately, and drug to the Premiere Timeline.

Matching is what I want to do.  I must be missing something.  Help would be greatly appreciated.

• 5. Re: editing audio in audition
                  J. Simon Community Member

Try this:

http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/sending-material-from-premiere-pro-to-audition

If you scroll down, you'll see there's an additional tutorial for sending it back to PP, but you have to pay for it.

• 6. Re: editing audio in audition
                    cfg_2451 Community Member

In CS6, there seem to be two ways to edit them from Premiere to Audition:  as a sequence, or as multiple clips.  Although I can modify the clips in Audition, I have no idea how to use the results from editing the sequence, and can find no explanation anywhere.

I feel your pain. Adobe writes manuals that, sort of, explain the various products stand alone. But they don't have anything that I've ever found that explains the workflow *between* the products. This level of documentation is sorely needed, and has been for years.

OTOH, if they would make the workflow between products consistent (as in, dynamic linking) then it would lessen the need for documentation to explain the workflow between products. I'd love to see dynamic linking with Audition, Speedgrade, etc. It would be a ton of work for Adobe, no doubt of that, but it would make the Adobe software that much more attractive to new users too. I suspect it would more than pay for itself.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with "matching" clips in Audition so can't help there. But I do feel your pain about getting back and forth between products.