6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 8:03 PM by Carl Sun

AEM CS5 problem with Mountain Lion

darkbeyond Level 1

I am having exactly the same problem as

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4681087

except mine occurs with AEM CS5 on OS X 10.8.

I use Extension Manager 5.0.3.4 on OS X 10.6.8 to create the .zxp package. This package installs fine on 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7. However, when installing on 10.8 (also with Extension Manager 5.0.3.4), I get the error

"The file 'Macintosh HD:Users:username:Library:Caches:TemporaryItems:

myPkg_mxi:myPlugin.InDesignPlugin:Resources' is missing. The extension

will not be installed."

It looks like the symbolic link is flattened (badly).

Is anyone having this problem? Perhaps my .mxi is coded incorrectly for Mountain Lion? Does this line look wrong:

<file source="myPlugin.InDesignPlugin" destination="$indesign/Plug-Ins/myFolder/"

platform="mac" file-type="plugin" />

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Gary

• 1. Re: AEM CS5 problem with Mountain Lion
          darkbeyond Level 1

Does anybody have problem using Extension Manager 5.0.3 to install InDesing CS5 plug-ins on OS X 10.8.2, or am I the only one? Any reply would be really great! Thanks.

• 2. Re: AEM CS5 problem with Mountain Lion
            Carl Sun Level 4

It should be related to symbolic link. Are you sure the symbolic link in zxp package is correct and it becomes malformed after unpackaging? You can change the file extension from ".zxp" to ".zip" then unzip it with third party unzip tools or terminal unzip command to check it.

• 3. Re: AEM CS5 problem with Mountain Lion
              darkbeyond Level 1

Here is what I tried:

(1) .zxp created by EM 5.03 on 10.6.8

Unzipped on 10.6.8. All the plug-ins are the same as the original.

Unzipped on 10.8.2. All the plug-ins are the same as the original.

(2) .zxp created by EM 5.03 on 10.8.2, using the same .mxi as (1)

This files is about twice the size as the file created in (1).

Unzipped on 10.6.8. All the symbolic links to folders are now actual folders (but empty). All the symbolic links to files are now the actual files, which explains the increase in size.

Unzipped on 10.8.2. All the symbolic links to folders are now actual folders (but empty). All the symbolic links to files are now the actual files, which explains the increase in size.

(3) .zxp created by EM 6.0.4 on 10.6.8

(4) .zxp created by EM 6.0.5 on 10.8.2, using the same .mxi as (3)

This files is the same size as the file created in (3)

I also put the plug-ins in a folder and create the zip with Finder on 10.8.2. The unzipped plug-ins remain the same.

Since our build machine currently runs on 10.6.8, I really only care about the .zxp files created on 10.6.8, i.e. (1) and (3). We can install the CS6 plug-ins on 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8. However, we cannot install the CS5 plug-ins on 10.8. Although the same .zxp file works fine on 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7. The same foes for CS5.5.

I am wondering if anyone is having this problem and if there is a solution for it. Thank you very much for your help.

Gary

• 4. Re: AEM CS5 problem with Mountain Lion
                Carl Sun Level 4

Apple always breaks backward compatibilities more or less when it releases new version Mac OS. I am sorry to say that I don't think it's very likely to have a new update of Extension Manager CS5 to fix this issue for Mountain Lion.

• 5. Re: AEM CS5 problem with Mountain Lion
                  darkbeyond Level 1

Thank you very much for the response. What is the proper way to install InDesign CS5 plug-ins on Mountain Lion? We started using Extension Manager because the users wanted a way to disable the plug-ins ("Configure Plug-ins" was removed after CS4). I guess we can go back to copying the files into the plug-ins folder and just tell the users to drag the plug-ins out if they don't want to use them.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem? Is ther any work-around? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

• 6. Re: AEM CS5 problem with Mountain Lion
                    Carl Sun Level 4

It works to copy the files into the plug-ins folder.