3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2013 4:42 AM by Peter Spier

"Missing Plug ins" in InDesign CS6

aljenArt

Hi,

lately, I've got installed CS6 Standard on a Windows XP machine, German version. There were CS2 and CS4 formerly on this workstation. The admin deleted the CS2 before installing cs6.

Now, every part of CS6 is up and running - except for InDesign CS6.

Upon launching InDesign CS6, I keep getting error messages saying, among others:

"Adobe InDesign erkennt  [plug-in name here] nicht als gültiges Zusatzmodul. Installieren Sie  das Zusatzmodul [plug-in name here] neu, und starten Sie InDesign erneut. Diese Meldung wieder anzeigen? (JA) (NEIN)".

and/or:

"Zum Laden von [another plug-in name here] is JBX erforderlich. Installieren Sie  das Zusatzmodul JBX und starten Sie InDesign erneut. Diese Meldung wieder anzeigen? (JA) (NEIN)".

The first message appears several times along with diverse plug-in names ( ssignment UI, InCopy Bridge UI, InCopyExport, InCopyImport…). The other one concerns only this "JBX", if I remember correctly.

After all the message are clicked away (it does not matter if I click on JA or NEIN), InDesign CS6 launches in a crippled form, with no palettes, with reduced menus, and it is crashing upon trying to choose the "Preferences".

The Prefs were already deleted with the appropriate keyboard shortcut.

What's the issue and how do I get InDesign CS6 to work?

• 1. Re: "Missing Plug ins" in InDesign CS6
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

First of all you should know which Plugin is missing. Then you have to buy it for CS6 and install it properly with the Extension Manager.

I suppose the Adminstrator has copied the plugin from an older version to the newer version and the plugin seems not be compatible. You or your administrator has to remove it anyway. I think he did not know that he needs the Extension Manager to install plugins for CS6 applications.

Another thing is obvious that a second plugin is missing which is used by the other plugin. This might be also a third party pi or a default is missing.

I think here was something damaged in the installation process by trying to install pi manually so I woul suggest to uninstall ID install it again and then install the needed pi in the correct version with the Extension Manager.

Another thing: It is good to keep older versions installed on the computer for a while when a new version is installed. When all documents have been migrated you can delete (uninstall) the old version. Not before. So it was not a good idea from the administrator to delete the older version.

• 2. Re: "Missing Plug ins" in InDesign CS6
            aljenArt Level 1

First of all you should know which Plugin is missing. Then you have to buy it for CS6 and install it properly with the Extension Manager.

This is not the issue, I think. There was never a 3rd part extension installed along with former ID CS version. So I don't think we'd had to buy any.

I suppose the Adminstrator has copied the plugin from an older version to the newer version and the plugin seems not be compatible.

No, he didn't. AFAIK, he's just installed and registered the CS6 according to Adobe's instructions.

Another thing is obvious that a second plugin is missing which is used by the other plugin. This might be also a third party pi or a default is missing.

Yes, this is all fine, but again: there was never an extra plug in for ID CS 6 installed on the system. Every version was always installed simply "as it is", because we don't need external plug ins to work with.

Another thing: It is good to keep older versions installed on the computer for a while when a new version is installed. When all documents have been migrated you can delete (uninstall) the old version. Not before. So it was not a good idea from the administrator to delete the older version.

You have possibly misunderstood me. Your hint to keep the previous version is highly appreciated; this is, actually, the way we'we been processing with every major software update for years, as well as this time. Only the whole CS2 was deleted, since it was succesfully preventing (on three different Windows workstations) the CS6 installer to do it's job. CS4 is still installed and working.

The missing plug in issue doesn't exist au dem MacBook Pro, by the way, which was also upgraded from CS4 to CS6. Maybe because I am actually the "admin" of it

• 3. Re: "Missing Plug ins" in InDesign CS6
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you sure the old version was deleted BEFORE installing CS6? Removing old versions after installing new ones does stuff like this.

I'd try reinstalling CS6. It may be enough to do a "repair" without uninstalling.