11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2013 2:15 PM by rob day

My Pantone colors on screen suddenly look dull

kellyjaye1 Level 1

I just realized that when im working with PMS colors now, they all look really dull from how it generally looks.  I know when my separations or flattner preview is on, then colors can look a little different on screen.  Also my transparancy blend space is set to CMYK as well.  When I save to PDF, that PDF also looks dull.  Not sure where else to look for why this is going on

• 1. Re: My Pantone colors on screen suddenly look dull
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you specing a Pantone solid (spot color) or one of the process libraries like Pantone + Color Bridge? Pantone spot colors can be outside the CMYK gamut so if your Swatches>Ink Manager is set to All Spots to Process,  out-of-gamut colors will be brought into your document's CMYK color space:

Screen shot 2013-02-20 at 11.17.56 AM.png

Screen shot 2013-02-20 at 11.18.08 AM.png

• 2. Re: My Pantone colors on screen suddenly look dull
            kellyjaye1 Level 1

Very weird!  I am working with Pantone Solid+Uncoated as Spot.  Im working with 201 Burgundy and 356 Green.  I looked at the All Spots as Process area and it wasnt checked.  Checked or not, nothing seems to change but it always has that dull look like your image shows.

I did try something though, I made a 201 and 356 box in Illustrator, copied and pasted to a new ID document and it looks perfect, I attached a side by side image also.  I tried to also paste it directly into the open document I already had and it pasted as dull.  I then copied from the bright document in ID and pasted into the existing one and it still pasted as dull.  In fact, however I pasted, it was always dull unless it was a brand new blank ID document.  All I can think is I must have hit a shortcut key somewhere without realizing it and it turned something on somewhere

color temp.jpg

• 3. Re: My Pantone colors on screen suddenly look dull
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds to me like you might be mixing coated and uncoated versions of the swatch. The ink is the same, but the digital swatches are different to represent on screen how the ink looks on the different stocks. The U (for Uncoated) swatches will appear quite dull compared the the C (for Coated) versions.

• 4. Re: My Pantone colors on screen suddenly look dull

C on the left U on the right

Screen shot 2013-02-20 at 12.04.57 PM.png

• 5. Re: My Pantone colors on screen suddenly look dull
                  kellyjaye1 Level 1

No its definitely not that.  I generally stick to Solid Uncoated for everything I do just to keep things more organized.  There is very little difference I ever see on screen between the two when I have checked.  When I would copy the bright color from one document to the other document that already has dull colors, that would become dull also.  The swatch pallet would show everything as uncoated also.  Its nuts!  I found a temporary workaround though for now.  As long as I paste a color box from AI into ID with a new document, I can copy items from existing documents into it and the color magically changes to the brighter one it was suppose to be to begin with (and always was before today).  Maybe things will fix itelf tomorrow on its own!

• 6. Re: My Pantone colors on screen suddenly look dull

There is very little difference I ever see on screen between the two when I have checked.

That has changed with CS6. The Pantone + Coated and Uncoated libraries now have Lab definitions for screen display and uncoated and coated are quite different, which you can see in my #4 post. You can no longer choose CMYK definitions for screen display, which were the same values in earlier ID versions.

Can you post a screen capture of your Swatches panel with the AI version?

Message was edited by: Rob Day

• 7. Re: My Pantone colors on screen suddenly look dull
                      kellyjaye1 Level 1

Ah your right!  Its still strange that this just started showing now, I always use uncoated for everything.  I can switch to coated if I have to though, no big deal.

Looking back at things, it seems when I copy from AI and paste into ID, it keeps the Pantone number and all but it seems to convert it to CMYK.  When I change that CMYK to the actual pantone, it goes back to dull.  Its all weird but I see some kind of pattern I can work with I think.  Just not sure why its just happening now.  Ive had CS6 for a couple months now.  thanks!

• 8. Re: My Pantone colors on screen suddenly look dull

Have you been working with legacy files?

• 9. Re: My Pantone colors on screen suddenly look dull
                          kellyjaye1 Level 1

a mix of CS5 and new CS6

• 10. Re: My Pantone colors on screen suddenly look dull

CS6 uses both Lab values for your swatches to display them along with the new Pantone + libraries. Earlier versions by default use the book values and the older Pantone libraries, so I'm not really sure if you'd see the difference in a legacy file, or perhaps wouldn't see it until you edit an object using the swatch.

• 11. Re: My Pantone colors on screen suddenly look dull

Just not sure why its just happening now.  Ive had CS6 for a couple months now.  thanks!

How different the same uncoated and coated Pantone color will look on screen depends on the ink's hue and saturation. A less saturated color like 614 won't change as much.

The Lab definitions are much more accurate, if you compare  201 in the uncoated and coated Pantone swatch books the difference you see on screen also happens in print—the same 201 solid ink will print with considerably less saturation on uncoated paper.

Screen shot 2013-02-20 at 5.11.23 PM.png