2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2013 1:50 AM by craigmac7777

What is Fast1 and why is it installing along with Adobe Flash?

Peter314159

I just updated Adobe Flash and when that was done, I found that File1 Package Manager had also installed and had launched and was in turn attempting to update other software.  Pressing "cancel" did nothing, and when I went into the Task Manager (using ctl-alt-del) and clicked on "end process" I got an error message that I did not have authorization to end the process.  Eventually it ended on its own, but WTF?  It looks like malware: downloading, installing, and running all without my knowledge or consent. A full system scan with Microsoft Security Essentials, but I'm not sure if that would detect malware.

This seems to be something new, i.e. when I Googled it, there was almost nothing out there about it.  I did find one forum on which mine was the first question, and several other people responded that they had the same experience.

One of two things would seem to be going on.  Either the adobe.com web site has been hacked and malware is riding in on product updates, or the Adobe corporation has agreed to install Fast1 along with its products and just isn't telling its customers.  (I was very carteful to watch for boxes to uncheck as I went through the update.  There weren't any.)

• 1. Re: What is Fast1 and why is it installing along with Adobe Flash?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

don't use auto-update to update your flash player.  download and install manually:  http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

and untick mcafee unless you're certain you want it.

• 2. Re: What is Fast1 and why is it installing along with Adobe Flash?
            craigmac7777

Question: What is file 1 package manager ?

A: “File1 Package Manager (Ant App service)  is a program developed by Helios Technologies. The software adds a background controller service that is set to automatically run. The specfic verbage from the file 1 wesite ( http://www.file1.com/ ) states---

"File1.com Package Manager is a handy tool for managing all your programs  within one space. It provides a user with a list of programs already  installed and those available for installation. With Package Manager you  can easily upgrade, install or uninstall all of our proposed software  on the site. File1.com is a freeware guide that provides the best free software which  is absolutely safe. It means no additional programs you do not know  about, no malware, spyware, or viruses. "

Q: Why is file 1  installing with adobe flash?

A: It shouldn't if you are downloading and installing manually from the adobe.com. If you download adobe from a third party website this could be the reason. If you are on a shared computer, it may have been downloaded to your computer to obtain many of the free software it offers. If this is the case File1 may have auto updated your adobe flash

Extras:

You can uninstall File1 Package Manager from your computer by using the Add/Remove Program feature in the Window's Control Panel.

A.   

A.    A. On the Start menu (for Windows 8, right-click the screen's bottom-left corner), click Control Panel, and then, under Programs, do one of the following:

1.    Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall a Program

2.    Windows XP: Click Add or Remove Programs.

B.  When you find the program File1 Package Manager, click it, and then do one of the following:                                                                    

1.Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall. 

2.Windows XP: Click the Remove or Change/Remove tab (tothe right of the program).