5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2006 10:08 AM by Tom Benjamin

Script Code Box

sevenfoxes Level 1
      Hi again,
      If anyone can help me on this would so appreciate it. We have been having major problems with spammers copying and pasteing out reservation page to theirs and then sending to us as a reservation request. Our web hosting company deleted the catch all account and suggested that we add a script on our reservation page that our customer's would have to verify, like a code box where they would have to type in the letters/numbers before submitting it. I know I have to probably go through a company, but any ideas on where to start looking for that? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have Contribute 3 and the website was designed in Dreamweaver.
      Thank You,
      Linda
        • 1. Re: Script Code Box
          Tom Benjamin Level 1
          Hi Linda,
          Sounds like you want a captcha code script, try http://captchas.net/.
          • 2. Re: Script Code Box
            sevenfoxes Level 1
            Hi Tom,
            Thanks, I checked into that, and might be a possibility. Another question if you can help me, if not just tell me. Since our original web guy set up our reservation form, and not sure from where, do you know of a site that I can get a new reservation form, where I can control people entering information in it., like if they don't enter info it tells them to go back and enter it, And that once they submit it, it tells them it has been submitted? and use it in Contribute 3. I sure do appreciate any help you can give me, I have been looking on internet, but not sure what I am looking for, HA! I know what I want but not sure where to find it.
            Thanks,
            Linda
            • 3. Re: Script Code Box
              Tom Benjamin Level 1
              Hi Linda,

That's stretching the capabilities of Contribute! Once you start dealing with form data you're heading towards on-line processing. You can deal much better with this in Dreamweaver, or with server-side scripting, developed in a language like PHP. For Dreamweaver there is a good extension for form processing made by Yaromat. You can certainly check if information is present or not with that.

What kind of reservations are you dealing with? Can you send a link to your site?
              • 4. Script Code Box
                sevenfoxes Level 1
                Hi again Tom,
                Our website is www.sevenfoxes.com and it would be rates and reservation page at the top. They are reservation requests for cabin rentals. Guests fill out the form and it gets e-mailed to us, and then we either respond via e-mail or by the phone. But the problem that has been going on for the last year, is these spammers are copying our reservation page and then sending to our e-mail soliciting their junk. So I am thinking we need to encrpt this reservation page or something like that, but again, I am very green at all of this, learning as I go along with the help of nice people like you and through Contribute 3 which I love.
                Thanks,
                Linda

• 5. Re: Script Code Box
                  Tom Benjamin Level 1
                  Hi Linda,

A captcha code will interrupt the spam because the spam robot won't be able to enter the randomly generated captcha code. The way you choose to implement it may depend on the resources available from your ISP. Your ISP may even have a captcha code generator. Ask them, and if they don't see if they can take a look at captchas.net and suggest the best way to implement it. I can see from the code of your reservation page that the information gets emailed to you via a PERL script - see <form action="/cgi-bin/formmail.pl"....> in your page souce code. My guess is that formmail.pl is a PERL script available to all of you ISP's clients.