3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2013 1:00 PM by MarloPix

Where are you getting backgrounds, textures, and templates for CS6?

MarloPix Level 1

I'm just curious about good web sites to download royalty free backgrounds, templates, textures, etc. for Photoshop.  I'm willing to pay a small annual fee to join the site, but of course free is always good too.  I'd rather avoid places like iStock- I'm looking more for a site that has Photoshop or other design applications in mind.

I've found a couple of sites through Google, but they seem old and not updated as often (they still mention compatibility with CS4 and 5).

So what are your favorite sites?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Where are you getting backgrounds, textures, and templates for CS6?
          DrStrik9 Level 4

Shutterstock is a great source for decent-quality photos ... not free. Another is depositphotos.com -- same kind of thing, but cheaper. When you Google, the search criteria is key: include the terms, "free," "high resolution," and the specific content you're after. But carefully READ the usage rules for each image. "Free" isn't always free.

• 2. Re: Where are you getting backgrounds, textures, and templates for CS6?
            Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Something to keep in mind are texture generating apps like Genetica. http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/

They also have a free app called Wood Workshop, which will give you kind of an idea of what it is like. The main difference is workshop is slider based making it easy to create quick textures. Whereas Genetica is node based and can do way more than wood.

But Genetica is going through its beta stage for the next version at the moment which will add new features like UV Maps for 3D objects, scripting, etc.

I use this app so I can highly recommend it for creating 1:1 seamless textures. Between Genetica, Photoshop and Illustrator, there really isn't much you can't create, given the time that is.

• 3. Re: Where are you getting backgrounds, textures, and templates for CS6?
              MarloPix Level 1

Thanks, but I'm thinking more along the lines of something like cgtextures.com.  Great site with lots of stuff but the vast majority are photos.  I'd also like templates and non-photo images.

For example, the other day I had to create a "Wanted: Dead or Alive" poster for someone.  I found some good tutorial instructions on how to do it (I'm a photographer, not a graphics artist, so I need all the help I can get when it comes to graphics).  One of the steps had me downloading some textures for the poster's background that no longer existed on the Internet, so I had to improvise a little.

I'd love to find a template for something like that that already has all the important elements in it.  While I love learning new stuff, sometimes I have a deadline and it just has to get done.  Open template, pop in picture, do some adjustments, etc.... done.

So I'm looking for templates along the lines of Photobacks, for example.

And I'm looking for non-photo graphics like you'd find on, for example, a band or movie poster.

Again, not being a graphics artist, I'm not going to go and recreate all that stuff.  I have no problem paying a small fee... I just don't want to pay $30 for a star burst or a bolt of lightning that will end of being one little tiny element in a bigger work.