8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 10:16 AM by Mark_Rausch

Error connecting, tap to retry, it sees my WiFi and computer name but can't connect

complexity Level 1

Hi all, I am trying to get Edge Inspect to work on my Windows 7 PC (it did work for me a few times when I had it installed as Shadow when it initally came out)

I have read through various forum posts. I am also running Mcafee Virusscan/Firewall. 

In Google Chrome I have the extension installed at the little "In" symbol top right, when I click it it says Adobe Edge Inspect "On", please start the Adobe Edge Inspect Application.

I open up the lastest version of Edge Inspect (v1.0.393) on either my iPhone or iPad, it shows the name of my WiFi router and shows the name of the computer that is running Google Chrome, it looks like it is searching for a connection (shows spinner) and then it says "Error connecting, tap to retry".

I have opened up port 7682 in my Mcafee Firewall

I have shutdown all open programs

I have tried manually entering in the computer IP address via manual connect

I have updated chrome extension and ios apps to latest version

I have tried reinstalling chrome extension

I have tried at Windows Command prompt "netstat -ano" it doesnt show port 7682 being used, until I open up Google Chrome, then it shows MYCOMPUTER:7682 SYN_SENT, which I checked the PID against and yes it is Google Chrome using 7682

Any help would be great

• 1. Re: Error connecting, tap to retry, it sees my WiFi and computer name but can't connect
          Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

Hi,

It sounds like you've got everything installed and set up correctly. It's likely that McAfee firewall or Windows firewall is still blocking the connection across port 7682. The fact that your device can see your computer running EI but can't connect tells me that.

As a simple test, try shutting down all your firewall software completely and seeing if you can get a connection then. 

You may also want to check your router (home network) or IT department (work network) to make sure the network itself is allowing communication across that port.

Hope this helps,

Mark

• 2. Re: Error connecting, tap to retry, it sees my WiFi and computer name but can't connect
            complexity Level 1

Hi Mark,

I've tried turning off McAfee Firewall but unfortunatley it makes no difference and windows firewall was already off by default (computer managed by Mcafee).

I guess I'll look into my router configuration.

• 3. Re: Error connecting, tap to retry, it sees my WiFi and computer name but can't connect
              Levy4U

See if McAfee has a "Learning mode" where it detects what you are doing and just allows the connection. I had a problem and it turns out I wasn't allowing all the proper programs the correct permissions. I set it to learning mode, launched edge inspect, tried to connect my devices and it poped up asking if it should allow the connection. I hit yes, everything connected then I turned off learning mode (as it adds the exception once you accept).

• 4. Re: Error connecting, tap to retry, it sees my WiFi and computer name but can't connect
                complexity Level 1

Hi Mark and Levy, I uninstalled Mcafee completely from the system and turned off Windows Firewall also. I've reset the machine and tried it multiple times, but still no difference?

Not sure what to do now! Anything else I can try?

• 5. Re: Error connecting, tap to retry, it sees my WiFi and computer name but can't connect

This is difficult to remotely debug, but I still think something is preventing communication on port 7682 from working. In general, we've seen two causes for that... a firewall or network configuration settings. Based on what you've said it sounds like you've eliminated the firewall as part of the problem. Have you looked into your router settings to make sure that's not the problem?

• 6. Re: Error connecting, tap to retry, it sees my WiFi and computer name but can't connect
                    complexity Level 1

Hi again Mark, still no luck here.

I also have a Mac in my network so I thought I'd try installing to that to see what would happen, I just installed Adobe Edge Inspect extension onto Google Chrome on that machine and restarted the iOS apps on both iPad and iPhone and they actually didnt see the Mac machine at all, still just shows the PC computer.

Also did I mention on my iPad I can still see the last time the connection actually worked (when it was called Adobe shadow, on my iPad underneath MYCOMPUTERNAME Error Connecting, tap to retry it has MYCOMPUTERNAME Last Used 24/07/12 8:59PM). Wouldnt have anything to do with a conflict with the old Adobe Shadow or anything would it, I'm pretty sure Adobe Shadow got uninstalled by default anyway, just a thought.

So I'm not sure if it can be a problem with the Router because nothing has changed with the router since the last time it successfully worked when it was Shadow? I did add the Mac machine to the network since this time, but that machine hasnt been on when I have been doing any of this testing anyway.

Also in the Edge Inspect in the Chrome browser I do not see any deviced listed, but back on the iOS App I do see the Wifi network and Computer name as discussed, so does this mean its an inbound connection issue or?

Also sent you router settings via private message etc.

• 7. Re: Error connecting, tap to retry, it sees my WiFi and computer name but can't connect
                      complexity Level 1

Omg Mark I found out what I was doing, after stumbling across http://adobe.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/1072731 I have done exactly the same thing as forum poster Remy Jacob. It appears as though the desktop helper application was still using Adobe Shadow version (still had the SD icon), I must have thought when the extension updated itself that the desktop app got updated too but no it doesnt and I didnt even have this thing running!

Even on the Adobe® Edge Inspect Getting Started Guide it doesnt even show or refernce that this sister application needs to be running???

And when I was clicking on the greyed out "In" icon in the browser, I just thought thats how it was meant to be, it was saying Now launch the Adobe Edge Inspect application, by that I thought it meant launch iOS app.

Glad its all sorted, working like a charm, thanks for lending me your ear.

• 8. Re: Error connecting, tap to retry, it sees my WiFi and computer name but can't connect

*whew* Glad you found that

I knew you had a desktop application running because your devices could auto-discover your computer and so I mistakenly made the assumption you were running the right desktop app. Thanks for coming back and letting me know what the issue was... remote debugging is difficult and I need to remember to ask more basic questions sometimes.