1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2013 6:58 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Nvidia Titan -

Mark Morreau Level 2

http://www.nvidia.com/titan-graphics-card

Good CUDA gains for us? Or too much money for too little gain?

• 1. Re: Nvidia Titan -
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, we saw small but measurable gains going from the GTX 580 (512 CUDA cores) to the GTX 680 (1536 CUDA cores) in CS6 but unless Adobe makes more use of CUDA somehow in future editions I doubt that in Premiere CS6 it would warrant spending $1,000 for the Titan (2688 CUDA cores), especially since this a dual GPU board and Premiere CS6 only supports a single GPU.  Maybe other applications than Premiere could readily use the 6 GB of video RAM and a much higher memory bandwidth the is on the Titan.

• 2. Re: Nvidia Titan -
            Mark Morreau Level 2

This Titan's a single GPU card isn't it? I'm pretty certain about that.

Yes, it is:
            http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-titan-gk110-review,review-32633.html

I'm lagging behind on my CUDA cores with GTX480 and Quadro FX4800 in my two desktops, and just thinking about leapfrogging to the Titan...

• 3. Re: Nvidia Titan -

Yes, you are correct in that it is a single GK110 processor.  Sorry about that.  Well it sure will out run the Quadro's 192 cores and give a welcome boost over the GTX 480's 480 cores, but you should be sure that you have the rest of your system to truly balance a pair of $1,000 boards.  Of course they will readily move to new systems later with less obsolescence factor

• 4. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                Harm Millaard Level 7

What Bill said implicitly is that a Titan may be nice - assuming an unlimited wallet - if you have at least:

• An i7-39xx overclocked to 4.6+ GHz or better,
                • 64+ GB memory @ 2133+,
                • Disk arrays with over 1500 GB/s sustained transfer rates.

But even then, the benefit would probably be marginal. If any of these conditions are not met, it would be a waste of money. These are AND conditions, not OR.

• 5. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                  JEShort01 Level 4

Clearly Harm you need to add one to your "Monster" in order to "help the world" -- by letting the rest of us know how well it performs under those conditions!

Jim

• 6. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                    lasvideo Level 4

Since PrP will see this as 1 GPU, any rendering of clips on the timeline will be faster. And for those of us that use After Effects ray tracing and Blender , (which is GPU acceleraed) the results will be quite dramatic. Definately on my list.

• 7. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

...any rendering of clips on the timeline will be faster.

...the results will be quite dramatic.

Faster than what? Compared to what? An AMD HD 5450 maybe? How much is dramatic? Worth throwing a GTX 680 away for a Titan?

• 8. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                        lasvideo Level 4

I will let you know after I install it 

• 9. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                          Mazzy007

Wouldn't the 6gb of ram make a pretty big difference for those of us editing with 5K Red Epic footage?

• 10. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Of course I haven't tried it yet, since none of those cards are available, but even 4 GB equates to a frame buffer of more than 370 frames of 5K material and during rendering PR does not prefetch that amount of frames. If you are unlucky, it may prefetch maybe 100 frames or even less, so to answer your question, 6 GB will not help in performance terms.

The question is whether the amount of cores, the bus bandwidth and the clock speed which are all drastically changed in comparison to Fermi and Kepler, do outperform a 580 or 680 and by what margin. It really is too early to tell, since there are no results yet from cards that are unavailable at the moment. But tripling the number of cores of the 680 over a 480 and tripling the memory over a 480 led to only marginal performance gains. So what can one expect from almost doubling the cores over a 680, increasing the memory bus to 384 bits, but also lowering the clock speed significantly? I wish I knew.

You know that the blind said: "I have to see it, before I believe it." 

That applies here as well, although I hope - as they say in Malaysia - "from the heart of my bottom" that the Titan will perform around 30 - 40% faster with PR CS6 than a GTX 680.

• 11. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                              lasvideo Level 4

For those that are interested, here are more details on the Nvidia Titan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121724

• 12. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                Fabio Pis Level 1

Hello Harm, I preordered a GTX Titan yesterday, they send to me maybe in some days.

I will change my "old" GTX 680 MSI TwnfrzIII OC 4096 mb because  I am very interested to new 384 bit memory bus (like my old GTX 580 was)

I added 64 gb of corsair lp vengaence 1600 DDR3 and a new ssd (samsung 850 pro 256 gb)for adobe suite and Windows 8 pro boot.

Also I change my velociraptor raid with a bigger one (2 velociraptor 1 Tb each one).

I hope to have  a clean system for few daysto do all PPBM 5 test..

First place...wait me! :-)

• 13. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                  lasvideo Level 4

Congrats on your purchase. Fabio. Dont limit yourself just to that test. Heres one to see how fast it renders and After Effects raytracing. And if you are a Blender user I will send you a DM to test that as well. Most professional editors I know use more than just PrP in their work so these other tests might be of interest to those folks.

Threads on topic   

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1019643

http://www.loopoutcontinue.com/2012/08/benchmarking-cuda-performance-in-after-effects-cs6/

• 14. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                    Fabio Pis Level 1

Hello lasvideo,

I am not using blender for my job, I am using 3dsmax.

Adobe Production Premium suite  is the only other software installed on my PC (not true at all, also openoffice and some video codecs and plugs)

If you have some tests for these software feel free to send me via pm message. I hope to do some testing as soon as possible my Titan cards arrives.

From GTX 580 to GTX 680 I have had not great performances improvments..I am confident that with Titan I will have it..and then..I like its design

Thank you for your links

• 15. Re: Nvidia Titan -

I really do hope you are not disappointed.  But, after an awful lot of testing I do believe that we have reached a point of diminishing returns on the current Premiere CS6 MPE hardware acceleration.  Maybe the next generation of software.

• 16. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Where is the download to do the test and compare to those 'published' results?

• 17. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                          lasvideo Level 4

The second link allows you to send Danny an email and he will send you the download link to the robot benchmark.

• 18. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                            Jim_Simon Level 9

If you are unlucky, it may prefetch maybe 100 frames or even less

I thought Todd said a while back that PP only processes one frame at a time.

• 19. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Requested the test files. Still waiting for his reply.

PS. Got his answer but it requires QuiRcktime animation, which I do not install, or anything Apple related, so it seems I can not do his test. Lossless AVI is not an option it seems. And the only thing it measures is the GPU, it does not stress the CPU, disks or memory. It may be great to measure Titan performance, but it does not show anything about a 'balanced' system.

• 20. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Prefetching and processing are different.

• 21. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 9

Granted.  But only the frame being processed get's loaded into VRAM.

• 22. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Not true, since memory gets filled up as rendering progresses, up to around 3.3 GB in my test:

GPU memory.gif

• 23. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

OK. here are the results:

• AVI DV PAL 48 KHz, 4 seconds
                                                      • Lossless, 12:11

It surprises me that CPU, memory and disk I/O play no role whatsoever in this test. It is only about video card performance. CPU load is consistently lower than 10%, memory use is less than 6 GB, and disk usage is not measurable. GPU core usage is pretty bad. Only a few cores are used, the rest are idle. Wonder how that relates to the required QuiRcktime Animation render.

• 24. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                        Jim_Simon Level 9

Not true, since memory gets filled up as rendering progresses, up to around 3.3 GB in my test:

Curious.

• 25. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                          Fabio Pis Level 1

Here we go.

new drivers for both cards.

my test with PPBM5 and PPro 6 (all updated)

evga Geforce GTX 680 4gb FW edition with backplate

44 50 40 5

asus Geforce Titan 6gb

40 50 40 4

my system is not clean at this moment. if I have some time I have to try with my clean system

With titan i have had to use txt cuda card hack

• 26. Re: Nvidia Titan -

Well so far there is no sign of any improvement in performasnce.  Remember the Windows clock that is used to obtain the "Created Time" and "Modified Time" on the files is a 1 second clock so any numbers are plus and minus 1 second and when you do the Disk I/O time test you are timing a mechcanial device so the variabilty there is even worse and you should expect no changes in that from the GPU anyway..  What I do to try to eliminate this variable is general to run each test ten times and compare the averages--are real pain!

I now see you are running CS6

• 27. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                              Fabio Pis Level 1

Hello Bill, in this test it was done with premiere pro 6 with all regular update

For now I have to solve a problem.

if I use pci 3.0 enabler my system doesn't start at at all with five beep sounds.

I have to understand if there is a new pci 3.0 enabler for GTX TITAN

I don't remember the meaning of first value of output.txt file, if it is the disk test or mpeg dvd test

If this value is for disktest, maybe there is some improvment.

I have all two gtx board in my hand for now, but I will not install evga gtx 680 again for new tests (it's a real pain)

• 28. Re: Nvidia Titan -

Fabio Pis wrote:

Hello Bill, in this test it was done with premiere pro 6 with all regular update

For now I have to solve a problem.

if I use pci 3.0 enabler my system doesn't start at at all with five beep sounds.

I have to understand if there is a new pci 3.0 enabler for GTX TITAN

I don't remember the meaning of first value of output.txt file, if it is the disk test or mpeg dvd test

If this value is for disktest, maybe there is some improvment.

I have all two gtx board in my hand for now, but I will not install evga gtx 680 again for new tests (it's a real pain)

The first number is the DiskI/O test and there will be no improvement in that number do to the new GPU. .The second number is the MPEG2-DVD, third is H.264 and last number is the Timeline Render time with GPU assistance.

Yes it is a real pain for me now to change GPU boards since I put my Z68 board in a chassis.as I just did for the 8 cards for test that Harm just posted to our site.

• 29. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                                  Fabio Pis Level 1

After a BIOS downgrade of my asrock x79 extreme9  motherboard (to have pci 3.0 gen working) and a ram downgrade from 1600 (10,10,10) to 1333 (9,9,9) , I have these results:

"40","45","36","4"

System is not clean but the results are very good in my opinion for Premiere Pro 6.

• 30. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                                    Fabio Pis Level 1

"41","44","36","3" MPE

"41","44","36","305" no MPE

My specs:

Asrock x79 Extreme9 (bios 2.30, with the latest bios system hang on power on with 5 bip sounds)

I7 3960X @ 4.4 Ghz

64 gb vengaence LP 1600 DDR3 @1333

Asus GTX TITAN

Samsung SSD 840 pro 256 Gb

• 31. Re: Nvidia Titan -

Someting must be totally wrong with that MPE off score of 305.  It should be about about 30-40 second range.  That is a total score with MPE-on of 124 seconds, 2nd only to Harm for CS6.  You might want to rerun the tests.and see if you get a reasonable (and usable) answer to the MPE-off test.

• 32. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                                        Fabio Pis Level 1

Sorry Bill, my fault, I lost the "delete preview folder" step for non Mpe test.

now,  I have:

"39","44","36","3"

"39","44","36","35"

with MPE total score  is about 122 to 125

This seems to be a great result with Ppro 6.03 and in a system not optimized with a lot of processes on

My best result with PPBM5 was 123 with PPro 5.03 with a clean system and all unuseful processes off with a gtx 680 gfx

I think Titan Card and Samsung 840 pro did their great job

• 33. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                                          lasvideo Level 4

Fabio, Im interested in getting the GTX Titan for use with PrP, After Effects (ray tracing) and Blender. I currently am using the Nvidia PNY GTX 570 with 1.25GB ran.

I am very curious what per centage of increased performance I might get from mkaing the switch.

• 34. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                                            Fabio Pis Level 1

Ciao lasvideo,

I have no serious test done other than PPBM5

Same system, only difference is gfx I have this result:

Asus GTX Titan 6Gb

"39","44","36","3"

evga GTX 680 4gb FW

"44","50","40","5"

With 3dsmax and vray RT it seems to have a nice improvment for real time rendering speed, but i can't quantify.

In after effects I have no tests to do.

For me if there is, the speed improvment is minimal

A problem in my setup was high temperature..Titan is hotter than GTX 680 and is fan speed is too low at default settings and this fact create a problem with my CPU overclocking

If you have some tests in Ae o premiere to do feel free to send me via pm message.

• 35. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                                              lasvideo Level 4

Ciao Fabio. Thanks for the info. Its hard to gauge not knowing how much difference there is between the GTx 570 and GTX 680 in terms of performance.If it were 30% faster then the 570 and Titan was 20% faster then the 680 thats something I could hang my hat on.

• 36. Re: Nvidia Titan -

Lasvideo, In my testing with CS6 and an  AVCHD timeline loaded with very intensive MPE accelerated effects and features with my i7-2600K at 4.4 GHz  32 GB system where the CPU software only time to render to MPEG2-DVD was ~700 seconds a GTX 580 (I do not have a GTX570) with GPU Hardware acceleration took 35.7 seconds and a GTX 680 did the same thing in 34.5 seconds.   A difference of 1.2 seconds is about 3-4% improvement. These were the numbers averaged with 10 runs of each timeline.  Hardly worth an upgrade in that case.  Until someone can provide me a GTX Titan to prove otherwise I personally am not about to put up a $1000.to get a what I believe will be a marginal improvement. I know that Harm does not like my pessimism. on this subject..

• 37. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                                                  lasvideo Level 4

Thanks Bill.Yes, thats not a very impressive difference. I would like to be optimistic but I will wait until I see some numbers for the Titan.

• 38. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem is that Fabio's numbers are somewhat misleading for a direct comparison, since he tested under widely different circumstances. There is no way that changing video card A for B will result in around 12% improvement in the Disk I/O test, since the video card plays no role in that at all. And the same applies for the H.264 test, where the involvement of the video card is very minor. So he tested under very different conditions. It does not give a basis for comparison. Nevertheless great results, but nothing to say Titan plays any role in it.

• 39. Re: Nvidia Titan -
                                                                                      Fabio Pis Level 1

I have to clarify some aspects:

1) My system is always in evolution, for my job and overall for my passion

2) GTX Titan and Asrock x79 extreme 9 had some problem. Asrock TSD helped me to solve with a new beta firmware (3.42 version)

This firmware solved pci3.0 problem but it has some poor performance with ram and maybe disk access

In the last two years I have changed many gfx cards,Mb and cpu (from GTX 480, gtx 580, gtx 680 2gb,MSI gtx 680 Twinfrzr 4gb OC , evga gtx 680 4gb FW edition to Asus GTX titan)

Cpu from i7 920 to i7 980x to i7 3960x

SSD for booting (intel, corsair and now Samsung 840 pro)

In my opinion there are some improvment in my system.

Cpu is the best buy.

SSD 840 pro is the best again..

GTX Titan is not supported very well at this moment, but it is a great GFX and it is working well with Adobe suite and 3d program that I use.

If i have to prepare a new system and money is not my first problem I would buy a gtx Titan.

In my tests today it is 10% faster than other gfx i have had.

With newer drivers version and adobe support it will be about 30%,/40% faster than other gfx...and then....

It's a beautyful piece of hardware! :-)

IMHO

1 2 Previous Next