9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2013 10:36 AM by the.rebel.unit RSS

Launching Render Engine After AE CS6 Launched

the.rebel.unit

Hello, I remember being able to have a local watch folder, taking advantage of a multicore proc.  Bascially, I would launch several copies of AE.  Or alternatively, launch the render only app, after AE is launched, and it would watch the watch folder in the background while I worked in AE in the foreground.

I've recently upgraded to CS6, and I don't see this working anymore.  I should stress this is on Windows 7, 64bit.  I'm at a shop that is mainly Mac, and they can double click on the render only node all day long and it launches more and more render only apps, while their AE is running.  When I do that, it takes the full app out of full screen mode, but doesn't do anything else.

I took a look at the shortcut to launch the render only app, and it is pointing to AE.  I don't even see a render only app on PC.

Anybody else having this issue?  This is really annoying!

• 1. Re: Launching Render Engine After AE CS6 Launched
          Todd_Kopriva Adobe Employee

The Render Engine shortcut points to the After Effects executable and launches it with the -re command-line flag, which starts it in render engine mode.

It is not a supported feature to have multiple instances of the application open at once on the same computer. The render engine application is intended to run on a different computer while you work in the main application, not on the same computer.

• 2. Re: Launching Render Engine After AE CS6 Launched
            the.rebel.unit Community Member

I don't think you 'get' the issue.  I only have 1 copy of the application open.  I want multiple render engines open and watching a watch folder on one machine.  This is trivial on a Mac, but can't be done on PC.  On Mac the Render Only App, is just that, a separate app.  On PC it's the same application as the one you are working in, you just are feeding it a different 'mode' to launch in.  It behaves very very differently across platforms.

• 3. Re: Launching Render Engine After AE CS6 Launched

I understand. I'm explaining that it's not supposed to be used that way. The fact that it can be used that way on a Mac is an unsupported and untested accident, not a supported feature.

• 4. Re: Launching Render Engine After AE CS6 Launched

Sorry, but I'm not buying that for Mac.  If not to be used separately, then why have separate apps on Mac.  I'm just trying to utilize my extra cores on PC to render in the background (using the watchfolder) while I'm still working in the full AE.  I'm amazed this isn't easier to set up, if at all.

We've always been able to do this on Mac.

• 5. Re: Launching Render Engine After AE CS6 Launched

You can submit a feature request here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

If you want to do background rendering on the same machine, you can use Adobe Media Encoder, which is what we actually recommend (and test).

• 6. Re: Launching Render Engine After AE CS6 Launched

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but isn't Adobe Media Encoder designed to take video and then compress the file to another format.  Possibly also mixing an audio codec?  Can this program actually render an AE project's render queue?  I'm under the impression, it can't be used as a watch folder, but more like a media convertor and even then, it has to be monitored to start new jobs.

• 7. Re: Launching Render Engine After AE CS6 Launched

You can add compositions from After Effects to AME to have them render in the background. It gives much better results for final delivery formats (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WMV, FLV, F4V, etc.).

You can drag and drop compositions from After Effects to AME or use the File > Add After Effects Composition command in AME.

http://www.digitalsandwich.net/ae-background-rendering/

• 8. Re: Launching Render Engine After AE CS6 Launched

I'll give it a go.  I am anticipating, not being as user friendly and there being plugin issues, but we'll see.  I'll put in a feature request to make watch folders like they used to be, and like they still are on Mac.  To me it's a bug.

Final delivery formats are meaningless to me.  I deliver fairly uncompressed, cineon, dpx, exr.  This is only a means of a rendering with multiple cores on one machine.  Selling AME as better delivery formats might be good for the final final final delivery, but everything beforehand needs to be fairly uncompressed.

• 9. Re: Launching Render Engine After AE CS6 Launched

I gave this a go.  This is NOT what anybody would want to do in production.  It's just that, it's an encoder, or even a transcoder.  It doesn't behave like a watch folder in AE.  If it did, it would use the render queue from AE.  Instead it wants you to use Adobe Media Encoder as the render queue.  If you do this, you have two problems.  One is that it's tied to one core machine.  I looked to see if you could have multiple machines running the same job, but it can't because it doesn't have the ability to skip frames when rendering an image sequence.  The next is, that its NOT an automatic process.  There is a ton of manual setup you have to do to even get this working on one machine.

In my opinion, Adobe seriously has limited the PC by making the application for AE and the render slave be the same app.  This used to be a trivial matter, and still is on Mac and tremendously powerful to render in the BG.  I cannot believe, but I have to because it's right in front of me that the PC version would be limited so.  Regardless if you say this is an unsupported feature or not, it's something we've been using since AE 5 days if not before (note this is before CS was around, so this is a long time).