5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2013 1:41 PM by markerline

Edge Animate logo in Muse

RollDotHome Level 1

If I use an Edge animation in Adobe Muse and the visitor has Java turned off in their browser is there a way to display and alternative image in it's place? It is a logo that flys in and without it the page looks pretty silly! Can I set it to display a static image in it's place?

• 1. Re: Edge Animate logo in Muse
          markerline Level 4

I don't know the Muse interface but in a text editor you could edit your HTML to the following on this page....

http://css-tricks.com/snippets/javascript/fallback-content/

btw it's JavaScript that would be turned off.  Java itself is something entirely different and usually (but not always) does not matter.

• 2. Re: Edge Animate logo in Muse
            RollDotHome Level 1

Thanks ;-) On a bit of a step learning curve here! Have heard a little about Apple, amongst others disabling Java due to security concerns. Does that mean this does not affect Javascript so no problem with Edge content? Excuse my comlete ignorance ;-/

• 3. Re: Edge Animate logo in Muse
              markerline Level 4

Yeah, javascript and Java are 2 totally different things which just "sound" similar but really have no relation to one another.  Not only Apple but the federal government has announced to the public to disable Java due to security loopholes.  But this will not affect people browsing the web with javascript enabled on their browsers.  Of course, some people do choose to disable it so it is a good fallback practice to put into place.  Does Muse not allow you to edit the text of the HTML document?

• 4. Re: Edge Animate logo in Muse
                RollDotHome Level 1

markerline wrote:

Does Muse not allow you to edit the text of the HTML document?

I believe you can but don't think you can round trip back to Muse or those modifications are overwriten. Could be totally wrong on this of course! Kind of attraction to Muse for me is not having to do too much, if anything with the code ;-)

It's a little worry that even though as you state Java and Javascript are unrelated I wonder how many, in ignorance like me will turn both off?! :-)

• 5. Re: Edge Animate logo in Muse
                  markerline Level 4

RollDotHome wrote:

It's a little worry that even though as you state Java and Javascript are unrelated I wonder how many, in ignorance like me will turn both off?! :-)

I don't know the stats on that either.  But I know from seeing post titles that many people still call Adobe Reader simply Adobe which confuses one product for the entire company, not to mention they forget that there is the Pro version called Acrobat Professional with a version number affiliated like X or XI.  (Originally Adobe Reader was called Adobe Acrobat Reader).  In such a case then it is good to have the fallback until the user needs to use javascript and turns to a forum to learn that they need to enable it and that it is different than Java (by Oracle).