14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2014 7:15 AM by dhuting

Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage

Andy Post

Has anyone tried editing the log file in Premiere?  I have not found a preset for this file type.  Any suggestions as to the sequence settings?

• 1. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
          Miles Wilkerson

Have you tried dropping a clip on the timeline, letting the sequence set itself? I do this normally with ProRes because there is no setting for ProRes, and it works.

• 2. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please NOTE that the PPro CS6 screen may look a bit different (I use CS5)

For CS5 and later, the easy way to insure that your video and your project match

See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666

• 3. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
              davidjcain Level 1

You don't need to specify the sequence setting. I own the 1DC. I transcode my 4K footage to ProRes (better codec than motion jpeg to cut with) and drop it into the timeline. Premiere asks if you'd like to change the settings to match your clip. Click yep.

• 4. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
                dhuting

is there a specific pro res setting you use?  what do you use to transcode it?   I just finished a shoot with the 1DC and have a brand new Mac Pro with Premiere Pro CC and CS6 and both are severely struggling with exporting me a finished 4k file...

• 5. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
                  davidjcain Level 1

I use MPEG Streamclip To transcode. It's free. Any flavour of ProRes will work fine. Also note that Premiere CC 2014 now handles the 1DC's native codec. I've tried it briefly and it seems to work. But I'm running into stability issues with CC 2014 that are likely do to with third party plugins I have that aren't up to speed with the Adobe update.

curious: you're outputting a 4K file? Is this to view on a 4K monitor? I've never had the need to do it. Only HD deliveries so far. So I have no practical experience or knowledge to help out there.

• 6. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
                    dhuting Level 1

Thanks for the help David!  Yeah, CC kept crashing immediately when I was trying to edit a sequence with the native files, and I checked to make sure I had their latest - no third party apps installed either, a fresh install on a new Mac Pro.  I'm hoping upgrading from 12GB to 64GB will help...

Yes, I was planning out output the 4k files for YouTube and to share with healthcare clients I work with with large screen setups (for nature content from my site www.NatureRelaxation.com)...isn't exporting in 4k the whole reason we shoot in 4k?  Excuse me if I am a rookie here.

• 7. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
                      dhuting Level 1

(upgrading RAM that is)

• 8. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
                        davidjcain Level 1

If you've got a 4K monitor and a big enough pipeline to it then I too would be keen to output 4K. However my current use of the camera's 4K capture is resolution. I'm dating myself here but think when, not long ago, you would shoot on film but transfer to HD video or even lower resolutions such as miniDV to edit. You'd never capture on that latter lower resolution because the quality would show. But editing in it was necessary if you didn't have an HD deck or an Arri film scanner kicking about. And of course sufficient computing power to move those files around.

I also use the 4K for reframing purposes. I edit the 4k files on an HD timeline with the reset frame size enabled (right click on the clip to access it). This allows me to zoom or pan or reframe for a different size shot in post.

• 9. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
                          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi DHuting,

I would think that a new Mac Pro could handle editing such a file. When you crashed "while editing," what were you doing? Trimming, playing back? I would like to help you solve this one.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 10. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
                            dhuting Level 1

Hi Kevin

I would think so too, right?
                            I did send in a bunch of system crash reports when it happened from my account (email address removed), perhaps you can pull those?
                            The crashing was very erratic and happened while placing clips on a sequence, and also while attempting to press File>export.  The settings I was exporting were the following:

4096 x 3112

24fps

80 mbps VBR

profile: high

level: 5.1

That was with CC.  I also tried it in CS6 and was able to create a finished sequence, but both times I tried exporting the times were very slow and the eventually the Mac Pro was locked up and had to be manually restarted.

Help!

Dave

(web address removed)

Edited by Kevin Monahan. Personal info removed.

• 11. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
                              dhuting Level 1

Hi Kevin,

Any insight on this?

• 12. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
                                dhuting Level 1

is RAM power important for this?  Right now I only have 12GB running out of 64GB possible.  Also this is the 6-core model, not the 12-core.

• 13. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
                                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Dhuting,

I was speaking with my colleagues on this issue today and many people having issues with 4K are trying to push too much data through the Thunderbolt connection. For example, they are working on 4K and have both a monitor and hard drives hooked up via the same Thunderbolt connection. Do you have devices connected via Thunderbolt?

More RAM also helps 4K post. Max it out if you can.

Thanks,
                                  Kevin

• 14. Re: Sequence Settings for Canon 1Dc 4K Footage
                                    dhuting Level 1

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that info...too much for Thunderbolt??  Oh man this is not good!  Suggestions for a workflow?  Transfer all working files to a local drive for editing perhaps?
                                    I do have a monitor and hard drive hooked up to thunderbolt....considering there are like 8 thunderbolt slots in the Mac Pro, I just assumed having 2 thunderbolt connections wasn't that big of a deal...but I guess I was wrong!  Is there anything Adobe can do to help alleviate this?

Upgrading RAM - will let you know if it helps.

Thanks,
                                    Dave