6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2013 11:28 AM by aliengp RSS

PSE 11 on an old PC running Win8 32 Bit

aliengp

I can not get the ruler to display - and yes I know how to turn it on and to change the unit of measuremnt. Also the options for setting the diameter of the clone stamp is no where to be found. BTW, I'm using the expert mode and even tried the other modes, still no dice. There does seeem to be some change in the margin border when I attempt to display the ruler (just gets slightly wider, but no ruler). Perhaps there is a a button some where to make all the adjustments visible like I am used to seeing in previous versions.

• 1. Re: PSE 11 on an old PC running Win8 32 Bit
          Barbara B. ACP/MVPs

Have you tried deleting the prefs? Go to the editor prefs>general and click this button, then restart the editor:

prefs reset.gif

• 2. Re: PSE 11 on an old PC running Win8 32 Bit
            aliengp Community Member

The reset routine got the tools adjment options to display, but no joy with the ruler, just narrows bands of black (top and left). When I right click them it corrects shows a check mark next to inches. Other funny business is hovering over the various tools brings up a small white retangle but no text. Perhaps there is some O/S screen setting overiding the appliaction? BTW, this old system has a GeForce 7800GT dispaly adapter FWIW. That said the old XP operating sytem and an older version of PSE worked just fine.

Appreciate the quick response and  help.

• 3. Re: PSE 11 on an old PC running Win8 32 Bit
              Barbara B. ACP/MVPs

Are you sure you have the latest video drivers?

• 4. Re: PSE 11 on an old PC running Win8 32 Bit
                aliengp Community Member

Tried that for both the on-board and PCI graphics card. That did not go well to say the least, both times ended up with the BSOD at reboot! I wont go into the details of my recovery efforts as that is still ongoing. When I recover from this fiasco I'll just learn to live without the ruler as the rest of the applications seems to work. BTW, I tried getting a print screen of the "ruler" but PSE will not allow taking a picture of its self so used my digital camera, ha - talk about low tech. Basically the ruler shows up as .25" black bars to the top and left of the work area where you would normally expect it.

Thanks for your timely suggestion.

• 5. Re: PSE 11 on an old PC running Win8 32 Bit
                  R_Kelly Community Member

On windows 8 you can take a screenshot by pressing the Win Logo key+Prt Scr and that will save a screenshot to your Pictures folder in a folder called Screenshots.

• 6. Re: PSE 11 on an old PC running Win8 32 Bit
                    aliengp Community Member

Thanks for the print screen help. That will have to wait until a backup DVD copy of the O/S is delivered tho.

Is a screen shot of the work areas "crippled" ruler of any value to anyone. I suspect the issue is related to the ancient HW I attempted to rescue, an old HP Pentium D machine with a $14 Win 8 downloaded upgrade. Oh well glad its not my only PC. Perhaps it would have been a better choice to just dump this old system (but I wanted to "play" abit  with Win8 on the cheap). BTW, I have loaded PSE 11 on a lap top as well and now I'm wonder about trasfering the licence off the Pentium D machine to another desk top - any help on this is apprecaited as recovery, of this mess, may or may not work out; or I might just decide its not worth the hassel.

Thanks again,

Gary