5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2007 1:43 PM by Peter Grainge

import word documents style problems

offbyone
      I want to use RoboHelp html, i do have a lot of word help files that I need to import. These word documents were written with careful attention to tagging text with styles. Some using default word styles and there are some custom styles. When I go through the import word document wizard I get to the screen where it says "Split on style...create new topics based on" and then it lists all the styles out. The problem is the styles all have names that i don't recognize like so:
      InlineNoSpacing
      InlineNoSpacing1
      InlineNoSpacing2
      InlineNoSpacing3
      InlineNoSpacing4
      etc...

How can I get it to recognize my word styles? I thought it would automatically pick them up from the import. Is there a way I can import those styles?

• 1. Re: import word documents style problems
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          Welcome to the forum.

I can understand some styles being ones you don't recognise. That probably comes from ticking the field "Auto-create styles from inline formatting".

However you seem to be saying that you don't recognise any of the styles you expect to see, custom or default. Is that correct? Are you not seeing Heading 1 for example?

• 2. Re: import word documents style problems
            offbyone Level 1
            My question is how can I import my custom styles so I can recognize them with the same names. Is there a way to import my custom styles before I import the document so this process is easier?
            • 3. Re: import word documents style problems
              All the styles should be listed, hence me asking what you are seeing. I need to know that to help you.

• 4. Re: import word documents style problems
                offbyone Level 1
                Sorry if I am not being clear.
                The styles are showing as:
                InlineNoSpacing
                InlineNoSpacing1
                InlineNoSpacing2
                InlineNoSpacing3
                InlineNoSpacing4
                etc...

They are custom styles we created in word and I would like them to show with the names we are using in the word document. So I am wondering if there is a way to import my custom word styles in with their names and everything?

• 5. Re: import word documents style problems
                  You said in your first post

The problem is the styles all have names that i don't recognize like so:
                  InlineNoSpacing
                  InlineNoSpacing1
                  InlineNoSpacing2
                  InlineNoSpacing3
                  InlineNoSpacing4
                  etc...

I take that to mean you do NOT recognise those names.

In your last post you say:

They are custom styles we created in word and I would like them to show with the names we are using in the word document.

Which seems to say the are names you DO recognise. Further you say you would like them to show with the names you are using in Word. But that is just what they seem to be doing.

Can you please indicate clearly what you are seeing where and how that does or does not give you what you want?

Maybe some screenshots sent via my site would help.