7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 24, 2013 2:17 PM by Steve Grisetti RSS

Problems with avi files.

JohnUCLA

I cut together various programs in order to make a dvd with a menu.  I cropped and repositioned images.  I asembled quad splits and each of the four pictures comes into the frame at different times.  Once finished, I then converted the programs to avi files.  But all of those cropped and repositioned images; all of those quad splits are out of registration in the avi files.  The images are not where I put them.  Does anyone know why, and more importantly, what can I do about it?  Help, please. 

• 1. Re: Problems with avi files.
          Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

What version of the program are you using?

When you set up your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select? (You can see your current project settings listed under the Edit menu.)

Have you ensured that all of your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size?

Do you get the same results if you output a WMV file?

• 2. Re: Problems with avi files.
            JohnUCLA Community Member

First off, thank you for looking into my problem.  I appreciate your time.

I.  I am using the latest version of Elements, version 11.

II.     Project settings:

I am not sure which of the settings you are referring to, so here goes.  There are three tabs of settings, General, Capture and Video Rendering.  Some of the fields were grayed out, some were dark black.

GENERAL TAB: 

Editing Mode:  HD 1080i

Time base:  29.97 frames per second

Playback Settings:

Realtime Playback

The box next to "Desktop video display during Playback" is checked.

External Device:  None

Aspect Ratio Conversion:  Hardware (if supported)

Desktop Audio is selected

Export:

External Device:  none

The box next to "Disable video output when in background" is checked.

Video

Frame Size 1920 horizontal     1080 vertical

Pixel Aspect Ratio:  Square Pixels (1.0)

Fields:  Upepr Field First

Display format:  30 fps drop-frame time code

Title Safe Area:  20% horizontal         20% vertical

Action Safe Area:  10% horizontal                10% vertical

Audio

Sample Rate 48000 hz

Display Format    Audio Samples

CAPTURE TAB:

Capture Format:  HDV

VIDEO RENDERING TAB:

The box next to "Maximum Bit Depth" is not checked

Previews

File format:  I-frame only MPEG

Compressor:  MPEG I-frame

The box next to "Optimize Stills" is checked

(Note:  Just asking.  How is the novice supposed to know what settings are best for a particular project?)

III.  The photos I used as pictures are actually freeze frames from the videos I shot for footage.  So the "photos" are whatver size they are because of that.  (I don't know how to find out what size they are, nor do I know how to change the size.)

IV.   I don't mean to sound dumb, but I don't recognize WMV.  Do you mean Publish/Share > Computer > Windows Media?  I did convert a file to that format and checked it out.  The converted file does seem to work fine and all of the images playback properly positioned and formatted.

Again, I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

John

[Excessive Quotations Removed]

• 3. Re: Problems with avi files.

This happens sometimes when working on a project in MPEG format (as yours).

I'm sorry but I don't have a solution. The usual workaround is to output an AVI of your file -- but in your case the AVI also exhibits this problem.

Have you tried starting a new project, set up for DV?  I know DV is standard resolution, but working in DV format you will unlikely have this problem. And, since you're going to output AVI anyway, working in DV just makes sense.

• 4. Re: Problems with avi files.
                the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

To date, I have not seen such behavior with a DV-AVI, but only MPEG Source Files (as Steve mentions). This is an oddity. I also have no tips on correcting things, as I have never encountered such, nor read of it from others.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Problems with avi files.

I appreciate your quick response.  I want to be clear though.  The problem I experiencethe cropped and repositioned shots going out of registrationonly occurs when I convert to an AVI file, which I am doing to create a dvd with a menu.  I originally cut the programs together through Elements.  I successfully converted to both MPEG2 format and the Windows Media formats.  Matter of fact, the only reason I was converting to AVI was to build the dvd and menu.  Is there another way to build a dvd and manu without AVI? 

Again, thank you.

• 6. Re: Problems with avi files.

Admittedly late to be asking this, but what should the project settings have been to work in the DV format?

Thanks.

John

• 7. Re: Problems with avi files.

DV.