8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 12:31 PM by Jerambis00

Point Light and Glow not working

Jerambis00 Level 1

I have ran into a strange issue recently. For some reason, certain built in features aren't working for my CS6 AE. When I try and use a point light or the glow effect nothing happens. No matter how much I tweak the settings it nothing happens. Has anyone else heard of a problem like this before? I recently upgrade to a new graphics card (K5000, all drivers up to date), is there a setting that maybe changed that causes these effects to no longer work? Any help is appreciated.

*Slight update... It only seems to happen when I have a comp with 3D layers or a comp with 2D layers and only text on them.

• 1. Re: Point Light and Glow not working
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What 3D renderer are you using. Ray Tracing does not support effects on 3D layers. Your point light will only work with 3D layers but you may have accidentally turned off accepts lights. You could also have an incompatible graphics card for GPU rendering. Try turning it off.

• 2. Re: Point Light and Glow not working
            Jerambis00 Level 1

I am not sure how to check which renderer I am using, where can I check? My ray-tracing was set to GPU, but I switched it to CPU and it didn't make a difference. The glow is still not working. I also made sure accept lights was "on" on all of my 3d layers. How can I turn off the GPU for rendering?

• 3. Re: Point Light and Glow not working

Ray Tracing will not see effects applied to 3D layers. There's a warning, which may be disabled, that tells you the limitations. Make sure none of these conditions exist. Check the fast previews option in the Comp pannel and make sure that's set properly. Make sure you don't have draft 3D turned on.

Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 11.48.06 AM.png

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Point Light and Glow not working
                Jerambis00 Level 1

I do not think any of those conditions exist. I also tried to simply create a 2D comp and add text to it, then add a point light or a glow and neither of those effects show up for some reason. When you say make sure fast previews are setup properly, what is a proper setup?

• 5. Re: Point Light and Glow not working

Point light, any light for that matter, only has an effect on 3D layers.

What are you adding glow to? Glow isn't going to do anything on an layer that's one color. This is normal. Glow adds the value of brighter pixels and blurs that a bit. Glow on a solid text layer with color values below 50% won't do anything and unless you adjust the threshold that's normal.

Try setting your Fast Previews to OFF or Adaptive resolution. It could be a GPU preview problem

A screenshot of your project would help a lot.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Point Light and Glow not working
                    Jerambis00 Level 1

It is a comp with a 2D background, and 3D text layers flying in and flying out of view from an "active camera" view. I am trying to add a glow to the 3d text layers (which have a radial ramp applied to them, white in the center, fading to grey). The glow I am using is on an adjustment layer above the text layers (I have tried changing its position in the comp, but it does not seem to make any difference). The only way for me to see the glow is if I make it a glow based on the "Alpha Channel." It is also an A&B color glow, being light blue as "A" and dark blue as "B." Even when I RAM preview it, the glow does not show up. I would be more than happy to send you the project file! Is this possible?

• 7. Re: Point Light and Glow not working

The problem is your adjustment layer. Pre-compose your text layer, collapse transformations and then apply glow to the pre-comp.

If you want me to  take a look at the comp just post it as a zip file on one of the file sharing sites.

• 8. Re: Point Light and Glow not working
                        Jerambis00 Level 1

Thank you for the input, for some reason my adjustment layer was causing the issue. Pre-composing it solved this. Thanks!