4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2013 10:27 AM by Noel Carboni

Slow File Open & Save

thanser

I have CS6 installed on a Mac Pro desktop, 3.3 Ghz machine, 6 Gb RAM, running OS X Mountain Lion.  Everything is running fine, updated and it's a great machine.

But I've noticed that opening Photoshop files that are somewhat large and layered take WAY too long to open or "save."  I mean...3 minutes is much too long to wait.

What's up with that?

I have a spare physical drive configured (in preferences) for extra RAM, with plenty of empty drive space.  The startup drive has well over 250 Gb of space remaining.

Seems like the machine is choking, like it's out of RAM.  But why?

The only applications running are Photoshop and Bridge.  There is 6 Gb of RAM to run these applications and open files.  OpenGL is checked in Preferences and I'm running an nVidia graphics card, as well.

Anyone? 

• 1. Re: Slow File Open & Save
          Noel Carboni Level 8

The specifics are kind of important.

What are the pixel dimensions?  Bit depth?  How many layers?  What file format - PSD?  How big do the files end up on disk?

If PSD, there's a setting in the preferences that allows you to turn off the "flate" compression, so if you have plenty of disk space you could save without compression - that can sometimes be MUCH faster.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Slow File Open & Save
            Noel Carboni Level 8

By the way 6 GB is not a lot of RAM by today's standards, and it's not terribly expensive.  Not sure what your budget is like, but if you really are pushing up against the limits of your RAM (quite possible if you're editing large documents), look into an upgrade to 16 GB or more.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Slow File Open & Save
              thanser Level 1

Thanks, Noel.

Yes, I could add more RAM, and I'll probably do that today.

I restarted the machine and my performance is normal again.  Why didn't I restart sooner? I had JUST started the machine, launched PS and tried opening a file or two. The performance was terrible, and it's not like the machine had been running all day with heavy use.  It was basically a "fresh start."

I still don't understand what caused this performance lag, since the machine had JUST been started.

The files in question were native Canon 5D dimensions, uncropped, several layers, PSD format, 140 Mb.  It was taking several minutes to both OPEN and SAVE this file again - highly unusual for this or any previous machine I've owned.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Slow File Open & Save
                Noel Carboni Level 8

I'd suggest looking at the system logs to ensure you don't have a disk problem brewing.  I can't help you with the specifics as I'm a PC expert.  I know Windows logs errors if it gets controller timeouts or has to retry disk reads to get valid data; I suspect OSX does too.

The problem with things that just go away is that they always seem to just come back.   I hope that's not the case for you.

-Noel