7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2013 9:02 PM by Noel Carboni RSS

Easy question

Netcommercial Community Member

Thanks for looking in...

I was wondering how to cut a round out of a square. I have this coin I am cutting out and find that by only erasing the background and then importing into my editor leaves some residual artifacts.

I would like to cut it out as a 'stand alone' circle with out  a background whatsoever.

Please if you would in a bit of detail on the steps. How to cut out the dime from the closely cropped background?

Not sure if you can tell there is a  background as I did erase the background and save for "use on the web" with alpha BG. The background is evident in PS as a square that is as close to a round as possible. Which the sqare does show up in my video editing as a 'ghost artifact. Hence me wanting to crop that out as a round...

Thanks for your help on this one

• 1. Re: Easy question
          Curt Y Community Member

You can make a selection with the eleptical marque tool.  May take a few tries to see where you want it start to end up in correct spot.

Check out this link for a few hints.  http://digital-photography-school.com/five-secrets-of-the-marquee-tools-in-photoshop

• 2. Re: Easy question
            Semaphoric Community Member

If you drag guides to the edges of the coin, you can then drag out the Elliptical Marquee from the intersetion of the guides, and it will be right in place.

• 3. Re: Easy question

Ok I am good with a selection VIA~ ALT key Win7 While holding SHIFT key to keep perfect cirlce... marching ants..Check. Now what? How to save just the coin not in a square? Cannot be done can it?

• 4. Re: Easy question

That may be clear on your end... Yet it is not on mine. Guides? you mean Grab bars?  I have no problem cutting out the coin using the Marq tool. Yet I cannot save it just as a circle with no background it always saves or exports as a Square. Yes I could get a smidge closer on the crop, yet that leaves the 4 corners...

I think it is not possibe to save a circle in PS...Yet. Which would make for nice "clean"  assets. Yes, I know how to save as a  PNG etc. As my original post describes

• 5. Re: Easy question
                  Curt Y Community Member

Depends of end product.  If you want a coin with transparent backgound you can save selection with Ctrl C and click on File/new and paste.

To save with transparent background you can use psd, tiff, or png.  Saving as jpeg will save it with a white background as it will not save layers.

• 6. Re: Easy question
                    conroy Community Member

Netcommercial wrote:

Which the sqare does show up in my video editing as a 'ghost artifact. Hence me wanting to crop that out as a round...

You should contact the maker of the video editing software and ask for help to prevent the ghosts.

• 7. Re: Easy question
                      Noel Carboni Community Member

FYI, in case it isn't clear...

Every image known to modern man has a rectangular format, as far as I know.

Your task is to create a rectangular image with transparent pixels around the outside of the coin and right up to the edges.  Several formats can carry transparency - PSD or PNG for example.

Note that teh pixels that are right at the edge of the coin may end up partially transparent, to avoid jagged edges.