3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2013 9:39 AM by the_wine_snob

Problem with Multiple Title Animations

ETRK

Hi, I am fairly new to Premiere Elements 11, and I am working on a video project where I want to add a title that fades in and then fades out. I began by adding a "default text" title to a video track above my main video, typing in my title (only one line of text) and then applying animations. This is where my first problem occurred; the program would only allow me to apply one animation to the title (i.e. I could add "fade in by line" but if I tried to add "fade out by line" as well, it would just switch animations) To wprk around this, I tried splitting my title in half and adding the fade in animation to the first half and the fade out animation to the second half. For some reason, Premiere has linked these titles together so if I add an animation to one, it applies it to both titles. I tried putting each half of the title on different tracks but it didn't work; they still act like they are one title when it comes to applying animations. It seems like have a fade in/fade out title is a pretty common and easy thing to do, so I am hoping you experts out here can help, thanks a lot!

--ETRK

P.S. As for system, I am running Premiere Elements 11 on a pretty powerful Windows 7 desktop

• 1. Re: Problem with Multiple Title Animations
          the_wine_snob Level 9

ETRK,

Instead of "splitting" your Title, use the Duplicate command from the Titler, to create a duplicate of that Title, and name is differently, say "Title_Name" 02. Place both Titles on the same Video Track, adjust the Duration, as needed with two Titles, and apply one Animation Effect to one, then another Animation Effect to the other.

Another workflow would be to skip the Animation Presets, and build those via Effect Keyframes, on say Opacity. That is not quite so simple as the animation Presets, but allows much more control.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem with Multiple Title Animations
            ETRK Level 1

Hunt -

Thank you so much for the quick reply, this seems to work great, however I think I'll take your advice and switch to keyframing. I really appreciate it!

--ERK

• 3. Re: Problem with Multiple Title Animations
              the_wine_snob Level 9

ETRK,

One thing, that is not all that readily apparent is exactly how Titles work. One can have any number of Instances of a particular Title. That, however, is not the same as having multiple Titles (they can be the same, or modified), and those Instances are linked - any change to one, affects all the rest. By Cutting a Title, one has just created two Instances of the same Title. The Duplicate (from Titler), creates two physical Title, though in your specific case, they appear to be the same.

For more info on Titles, this article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1131177?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful