6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 6:59 PM by OliverPSE

Why is Java required?

OliverPSE

I cannot download the update because Java is required.  I have disabled and removed Java from all of my computers for obvious security reasons.  I am sure that many Flash Player users have done the same and now are excluded from updating and installing Flash Player.

• 1. Re: Why is Java required?
          pwillener Level 8

OliverPSE wrote:

I cannot download the update because Java is required.

Why do you say that; do you receive any message that indicates that?

Java is not required to download or install Flash Player.

• 2. Re: Why is Java required?
            OliverPSE Level 1

Pat:  Thank you for the response.  I am perflexed

1. Yesterday I received a notice that a Flash Player update was available -- probably when I tried to run a Flash video, but I cannot say for sure.  When I clicked "Yes" or whatever, it took me to what appeared to be a genuine Adobe website, but when I attempted a download, it said that Java was required for the download.  That seemed incredible to me, but I tried it several times with the same result.
            2. Today, after receiving your message, I tried to replicate yesterdays appearance by running Flash videos, but I did not get an update notice.
            3. Then, I went to the Adobe website and downloaded and installed the current version, 11.6.602.168 (for Win 7 32) and it worked without any Java needed message.  I am not sure what version was previously installed.
            4. As for yesterday's experience, all I can say is that I smell a rat, but cannot prove anything.
            • 3. Re: Why is Java required?
              pwillener Level 8

Is it possible that the download site mentioned JavaScript, rather than Java?

• 4. Re: Why is Java required?
                OliverPSE Level 1

Pat:  I was using Firefox, latest version.  As best I recall, the message said Java must be enabled, but maybe it said JavaScript -- I can't say for sure.  I had previously removed all Java add-ons/extensions from my Firefox, and also had uninstalled all Java installations from Windows.

• 5. Re: Why is Java required?
                  pwillener Level 8

Many websites require JavaScript to be enabled to function correctly.

JavaScript is part of the browser, and is in no way related to Java, despite the similarity of the name.

• 6. Re: Why is Java required?
                    OliverPSE Level 1

Pat:  Thank you.  Anyway, the question is moot since I have now downloaded and installed the most recent version of Flash and it seems to be running fine.  So, I believe this completes our discussion.