5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 6:54 AM by Szalam

Ray tracing not working

raindog42

I get the 'Out of paged mapped memory' when I try to make 3D titles.

IMac 2011 - the 6970 graphics card - 16Gb RAM

Could this be yet another incompatibility between CS6 and the 2011 Imac (ie. the 6970 card which Adobe refuse to support)?

Thanks in anticipation of a fix!!

• 1. Re: Ray tracing not working
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Could this be yet another incompatibility between CS6 and the 2011 Imac (ie. the 6970 card which Adobe refuse to support)?

That's not a correct representation. They ray-traced 3D renderer relies on the Nvidia OptiX library, which exists for CUDA and therefore requires an Nvidia card for GPU acceleration of this renderer.

That said, the CPU renderer should still work for you.

Give more details of the failure that you're experiencing, and provide answers to the questions listed here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/961743

• 2. Re: Ray tracing not working
            raindog42 Level 1

Hi Todd,,

When I try to change the Renderer pull down top right of the composition window to Ray-Traced 3D, the composition settings window opens on the Advanced tab and when I change the Renderer pull down to Ray-Traced I get the following error message in a window headed (5070::0):

After Effects error: Ray-traced 3D: Out of paged mapped memory for ray tracer. (5070::0)

Screen shot attached.

raytrace2.png

To answer those questions:

version: 11.0.1.12

OSX 10.7.5

ProRes 422(HQ) 1920 x 1080 23.98fps

I am trying to make a title that I have applied via 'Track Camera' into a 3D one. This has never worked.

Other software running is Premiere CS6

No 3rd party effects

2011 Imac 3.4GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 6970 Graphics card, 4 core. One 6Tb Thunderbolt hard drive connected (although working of internal drives at this time)

No 3rd party I/O stuff

Not using Render Multiple frames ......

• 3. Re: Ray tracing not working
              raindog42 Level 1

Todd, I would be grateful for an answer to my problem. I'm going to loose this job to another AE artist if I can't get this working.

• 4. Re: Ray tracing not working
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your iMac doesn't have an NVIDIA graphics card so no CUDA so no GPU support for Ray Traced rendering. If you found a combination of settings that would let RTRendering work for you the render times would be horrific.

The best option would be to use a 3D app to build your titles and then bring them into AE. Blender now has AE import capability. C4D is a good option. Even though my system supports 3D Ray Traced Rendering I sedlom use it. 90% of the time any 3D text that I place in a comp comes from Blender. 5% from C4D 3% from ZaxWerks (another AE option) and maybe 2% from AE's 3D Ray Traced rendering.

Another option for 3D objects in an AE comp is Element from Video Copilot. You're only beaten out on the job if you aren't creative enough to come up with a solution that matches your tools. I was putting 3D text in AE projects more than 15 years ago. If you can't afford an upgrade, improvise.

• 5. Re: Ray tracing not working
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rick makes a good point. Before the ray traced feature, people have been doing 3d text in AE. Things like Shatter, multiple layer copies, creative use of Freeform, Zaxwerks 3d Invigorator, Element, Shape Shifter, and other techniques exist.

I never use the ray tracing. I love Cinema 4D. I get really good results really quickly with an easy interchange with After Effects - lights, camera movment, and everything.