7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2013 4:46 AM by Harm Millaard

Will this laptop cut it for Premiere CS6?

kcseb

Hi all

My projects: lots of 1080p footage from Canon DSLR, lots of effects...

Been looking at various laptops (including MacBook Pro) but fancy keeping costs low, and have found this lovely affordable Asus number (£800 here in UK).

Plan is swap out the main hard drive to an SSD. However I have some concerns:

-  are the GFX (NVIDIA GT650M GPU, 2GB) and processor (i7-3630QM) up to the task?

- no Firewire/eSATA ports...is this a problem for 2nd HDD, or will USB3 be ok? Other option is to swap out the optical drive

Thanks in advance guys!

K

ASUS N56VZ-S4242

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-n56vz-s4207v-15-6-laptop-20622598-pdt.html

• Processor – 3nd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM, Ivy Bridge
      • CPU Speed – 2.4GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz), 6MB Cache
      • Screen Size – 15.6 inch
      • Display – 1920 x 1080 Full HD, LED Backlit
      • Memory – 8GB RAM
      • Graphics – Discrete NVIDIA GT650M GPU with 2GB Memory and NVIDIA Optimus Technology
      • Hard Drive – 1TB
      • Bang & Olufsen Ice Power Audio System
      • Connectivity – USB3.0 x4, HDMI x1, VGA x1, Ethernet x1, Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n x1, Bluetooth 4.0 x1, Multi Card Reader x1
      • Operating System – Microsoft Windows 8
        • 1. Re: Will this laptop cut it for Premiere CS6?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Swapping the 1 TB HDD for a SSD is a good choice, especially since the 1 TB HDD is a 5400 RPM model. Swapping the optical drive for a 750 GB 7200 RPM disk is another good method to improve this laptop. Using USB3 external drives is certainly feasible, they are not much slower than eSATA drives.

The DSLR material you intend to edit benefits greatly from the fastest clock speed available, so from that perspective consider an i7-3740QM or i7-3840QM CPU, since they have the higher clock speed (at a price). The amount of memory, 8 GB is barely adequate and you would profit significantly from increasing that to 16 GB. The GT 650M is a pretty weak card. You would be better served with a GTX 660+M.

You must have specific reasons to choose a laptop, because not only are they expensive and cramped in screen size, they are around 3-4 times slower than a desktop at the same price and laptops still require a wall outlet for editing.

• 2. Re: Will this laptop cut it for Premiere CS6?
            kcseb Level 1

Hi Harm

Thanks for that. Looking around, I can upgrade to GTX 660M card with 2GB RAM + 16GB memory + i7-3740QM processore for an extra £180...but this pushes me over budget.

If I HAD to compromise on one of the above (GFX, RAM, processor), which would you recommend?

Best

Kevin

• 3. Re: Will this laptop cut it for Premiere CS6?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

If I had to compromise because of budget reasons, I would start to go down on:

1. Video card
              2. Memory
              3. CPU

in that order. The video card is only beneficial when using hardware accelerated effects, the memory is of course used all the time, but with smaller projects it may not be such a bottleneck, but the clock speed is crucial.

• 4. Re: Will this laptop cut it for Premiere CS6?
                kcseb Level 1

OK so here's what I'm now going for, based on Harm's feedback. It's a Clevo 15.6":

• Intel i7-3740QM 2.7GHz processor
                • 12GB RAM DDR3 memory
                • Nvidia 2GB GeForce™ GTX 660M
                • Full HD 1920 x 1080 Res
                • Kingston 240GB HyperX 3k SSD

I'll buy a good 7,200RPM eSATA for projects too. How does this sound for a Premiere Pro CS6 laptop workhorse?

K

• 5. Re: Will this laptop cut it for Premiere CS6?
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am surprised that with that system you should have expansion room internally to add one or more disk drives  I would be interesting to know the pricing,   But with my old eyes I am sure I would need a larger (i.e. heavier) screen

• 6. Re: Will this laptop cut it for Premiere CS6?
                    kcseb Level 1

Hi Bill, yes there's a 2nd drive possible if you sacrifice the internal optical drive. Here's what the vendor suggests below, which makes sense to me so I'll do that. Price is about £1100 in the UK...so about $1600:

You should get the same performance whichever way you do this (eSATA or internal). I recommend the internal 2nd drive and get a USB DVD drive, as this is likely to be used less.

• 7. Re: Will this laptop cut it for Premiere CS6?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

I second that suggestion, since you will need that second disk all the time, but the optical drive only when burning a DVD/BD or installing software from a DVD, which is far less in frequency than the need for a second disk. Looks like a very good choice and the price is very reasonable, I think. Clevo is almost always among the top performing laptops, so I think this is a good proposal.