2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2013 2:59 PM by BobM1990

Colour profiles etc. workspace & pdf

BobM1990 Level 1

Hi there

I know that there will always be a difference between onscreen and printed results. Although I would like to know what are the best settings to avoid a huge difference between the bright and colourful colours I get in InDesign when working on the file, and the final result CMYK-pdf that goes to the printing company? Sometimes difference is so big...

Are there special Adobe (or other) tools to avoid this huge difference between InDesign workspace colours and CMYK-PDF?

And is it recommended to use for example the ColorMunki calibration for a MacBook Pro?

Thanks a lot!

Bob

• 1. Re: Colour profiles etc. workspace & pdf
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And is it recommended to use for example the ColorMunki calibration for a MacBook Pro?

Hardware monitor profiling will help with overall display and soft proofing accuracy, but won't change the realities of color gamuts. If you are choosing out-of-gamut RGB or Lab colors they will have to change when they are converted to CMYK values.

If you want to work with RGB colors it's a good idea to turn on Overprint or Separation Preview while you work, which will preview the eventual conversion to your document's CMYK space. The document's profile (Edit>Assign Profiles...)  should be the correct profile for the destination press—the CMYK profile affects the softproof accuracy.

RGB also has a gamut limit—100% cyan cannot be accurately displayed, so some CMYK blues will print with more saturation than a soft proof even on a well calibrated display.

• 2. Re: Colour profiles etc. workspace & pdf
            BobM1990 Level 1

Okay I guess this will do Thanks for your kind help and support!