4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2013 11:12 PM by Andromeda14 RSS

Photoshop elements organizer 11 freeze on splash screen

Hi there, hope someone can help here - have:

• Photoshop Elements 11
      • Windows 7

Had a power glitch go through and since then have been unable to get the organiser to work.  Everything was working perfectly up until that point with no issues at all!

Have tried the following things.  Observations:

• Splash screen appears then freezes
      • Control panel shows organizer running
      • Need to exit process
      • Photoshop Elements Editor runs OK
      • Premiere Elements Editor runs OK
      • Photoshop Elements Organiser Version 8.0 will open

Have tried the following

• Click with combinations of Alt+Shift+Ctrl, Shift+Ctrl, etc and still does not work (as per other discussions).  Does not bring up the dialog to reset the catalogues, etc
      • Have tried deleting the various configuration files .prf and so on - still no good
      • Tried renaming the catalogue directory to try and prompt it to start using a new catalogue
      • Renamed all of the AppData directories related to Photoshop Elements 11 / Organizer 11 to try and get it to rebuild original data
      • Tried launching organiser via editor, via premiere elements splash screen, via photoshop elements splash screen, directly from explorer with admin priveliges - no good
      • Have uninstalled and renamed all old directories and then reinstalled to try and remove any hidden data - still no good

I have read the other posts and have searched the web and followed their instructions for troubleshooting without any success.

This is a really persistent problem - short of wiping the computer and doing a clean install (sigh!) I am at a loss as to how I can get around this.  There must be some start up file or interaction with another photoshop file hidden away on the harddrive somewhere.  The program freezes right at the start when the splash screen first displays with the credits

Help appreciated. Sleep time now!

• 1. Re: Photoshop elements organizer 11 freeze on splash screen
          andaleebfatima1 Adobe Employee

Kill any such exe from the task manger, if running-

autoanalyzer, photoshop file agent, dynamic link manager, photoshop server and photoshopelementsorganizer.exe

Now please try launching Organizer directly from its exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 11 Organizer by right click >> Run As Admin keeping Shift key pressed. You should see Catalog Manager dialog.

• 2. Re: Photoshop elements organizer 11 freeze on splash screen
            timthebunyip Community Member

Hi there, thanks for your help, I will try this over the next couple of days (need to work too!!!).  I had previously looked very carefully through the task manager and had tried to stop all of the adobe related processes first but I may have missed one so this seems to be a good idea.  I have seen the catalog dialog appear from time to time but then the process tends to just hang after pressing OK.  I will try again and I will let you know how I go.

As an aside, when reinstalling I also noticed that Elements Organiser did not seem to install for some reason.  I still think one of the program files may have been corrupted due to the power outage whilst the program was loading.  Are there specific files that are updated during the load process that may have caused this issue?  I have got another PC so I was planning to install a short term copy on this machine and then try copying the program files across on a USB to try and address any errors that could have been created. I'll keep you posted on how I go

• 3. Re: Photoshop elements organizer 11 freeze on splash screen
              timthebunyip Community Member

Hi there

The catalog manager dialog does not open when I do this - it just goes straight through to the splash screen and crashes

Ctrl+Alt+Shift will bring up the preference dialog to reset preferences (have done this multiple times)

Have tried to just push the program back onto the hard drive using a thumb drive copy - this did not work either

All I can think of doing now is a clean install of Windows on the machine to get back to a clean state and then reinstall the software

Any other suggestions would be appreciated

Kind regards

• 4. Re: Photoshop elements organizer 11 freeze on splash screen
                Andromeda14 Community Member

Please try uninstalling PSE. Once done, please rename folders mentioned in last hierarchy (if exist) -

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer\11.0

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Online Services\Photoshop Elements 11.0.0

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\11.0

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs

Once done, please install PSE by right clicking 'setup.exe' (located in PhotoshopElements folder) and select 'Run as admin' and do the rest of installation.