10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2013 10:07 AM by NauticEd

Indesign CS6 hand tool stuck

Lee9821

Hand tool turns into select tool when I am on an image placed.

I created an image in illustrator and added different shapes in in design. I cannot select anything on the placed image.

I have tried just about every fix that I could find on the internet still cannot cure.

I even reinstalled the program.

I cannot continue working...

• 1. Re: Indesign CS6 hand tool stuck
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

A placed illustration is a single object. You cannot select and edit individual pieces inside ID. Select the illustration and choose Edit Original to reopen in Illustrator.

Or do you mean you have objects added in ID that are stacked together with the .ai file and you cannot select them? Why are you using the Hand tool? The Hand tool is used to move the page around inside the document window. To move an image inside its frame use the Direct Select tool (white arrow) or double-click the frame with the Selection tool (black arrow) to select the content. As you move the cursor inside the frame area it will change to a hand (which looks similar to the hand tool, but is not) and you can drage the position of the object inside the frame.

• 2. Re: Indesign CS6 hand tool stuck
            Lee9821 Level 1

I am trying to select shapes I drew on the placed image in Indesign using direct select tool.

The direct select tool works fine in other areas but when I move it to the placed image it turns into hand tool and does not let me select anything that I created it in Indesign including textsor shapes.

• 3. Re: Indesign CS6 hand tool stuck

Make sure nothing is selected before you try to select the other objects -- ID likes to retain the old selection so perhaps the frame withthe illustration was already selected. Are the native objects really above the placed object?

Sometimes when I have trouble with a selection I find using the Layers panel is easier.

• 4. Re: Indesign CS6 hand tool stuck
                Graphic Squirrel Level 1

I am also finding the direct selection tool is turning into the hand tool when I click on an image.  All I want to do is move my photo to another location, but it is moving the image within the frame via the hand tool.  Is there a way to turn that off?  I can use the other tool (indirect selection tool?  don't know what it is called - the white arrow...) if I need to move the photo in the frame.  Thank you!

• 5. Re: Indesign CS6 hand tool stuck
                  Graphic Squirrel Level 1

Update: I discovered that the tools are changing when I click on the new circle thing which pops up in the middle of the image.  I know I've seen something on this because it is new so I will look it up and see how to turn it off.  (By the way, my terminology above was wrong, I think.  Black arrow is selection tool, white arrow is direct selection tool...I think...)

• 6. Re: Indesign CS6 hand tool stuck

The name of the white arrow is the Direct Select tool, the black arrow is the selection tool. You might be running into the content grabber ("donut") that pops up in the center of the object when you move the Select tool over it. That can be turned off in the View menu. IN CS6 it's under Extras.

• 7. Re: Indesign CS6 hand tool stuck
                      Graphic Squirrel Level 1

Thanks, Peter.  Once I turned the "donut" off, I realized that I could double click to get the content to move within the frame, which is new to me.  That is a nice feature so I don't have to grab the direct select tool now.  Turned off the donut because it was getting in my way.  Thanks for your help.

• 8. Re: Indesign CS6 hand tool stuck

Double-clicking to switch to the direct select tool has actually been a feature for quite some time, but I confess I never used it until CS5.

• 9. Re: Indesign CS6 hand tool stuck
                          Graphic Squirrel Level 1

I went back to my ID CS4 and tried it, and sure enough, you can double click for the direct select tool there, too!  It makes me wonder what else I have been missing!

• 10. Re: Indesign CS6 hand tool stuck
                            NauticEd

For the stuck Hand Tool - I saw somewhere else to push the space bar a few times and IT WORKED