6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 12:48 PM by nealeh

Menu themes - thumbnails are stretched

NewToPremiereElements

I am using PE 11.  I'm creating a menu using one of the standard themes but the content in the scene thumbnails appear stretched with black bands above and below the image.  My clips were tqaken on a Canon HFS100 and show in 16:9 format.  I have tried several themes but the problem seems to be common to them all.  Is there any way of correcting the appearance of the images in the thumbnails?

• 1. Re: Menu themes - thumbnails are stretched
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is an indication of a mismatch between your video footage and your project specs.

Have you ensured that the video you shot was shot in FXP or MXP format? It's important that you shot n AVCHD and not MP4 format.

You should ideally also have shot in the 60i frame rate.

Did you use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera tool to get this video from your camcorder into the program?

That said, if you look under Edit/Project Settings, which project settings are listed?

• 2. Re: Menu themes - thumbnails are stretched
            NewToPremiereElements Level 1

Steve - again thanks for the reply.

Some of the info I gave you was not quite correct.  The camera was actually my son's Canon Vixia HF100 and he converted the clips to .mpg (not native but not mp4).

I imported the clips using Organizer - import from file - since I didn't have the flash cards (my son lives in America!!).

From what you've said this may explain it - but, if not and if it's still relevant, the project settings are:

Editing mode:  HD1080i (greyed out)

Timebase:  25 fps (greyed out)

Frame size:  1920 x 1080

Pixel aspect ratio:  Square pixels 1.0 (greyed out)

Fields:  upper field first (greyed out)

Display format:  25 fps Timecode

Then parameeters referrinf to safe areas and audio - which I'm sure are not relevant!!

Does that diagnose the problem and, if so, is there anything I can do about it?

Frank

• 3. Re: Menu themes - thumbnails are stretched

You say your son "converting the clips to .mpg", which could be part of the problem.

Try using Premiere Elements' Add Media tools get the video (or some test video) from the camcorder over a
              USB connection, then place that footage on the timeline of  a new project. Add your menu template and see if you see the same problem. Even if you don't intend to recapture the footage, this will be a good test to see if what I think is wrong is actually what's wrong.

• 4. Re: Menu themes - thumbnails are stretched
                NewToPremiereElements Level 1

I'm not sure if he still has the old files - I'll find.  If he still has any of the original files, I'll get him to send me one and I'll try it out and post the result.   It may take some time!!

Thanks for your help - Frank

• 5. Re: Menu themes - thumbnails are stretched

Again, I'm a bit concerned about him sending you over the files -- unless he's able to use Premiere Elements to get the video from the camcorder to his computer.

As I said, it could well be that the process he's using to get the video from the camcorder to his computer (especially if it's converting it to an MPEG) is changing the video's format such that Premiere Elements isn't able to recognize the original camcorder's video specs.

• 6. Re: Menu themes - thumbnails are stretched
                    nealeh Level 5

What do the video files your son gave you look like if you play them in a media player (just double-click them in Windows Explorer)?

If they look good start a new project with any project setting and drag the clip to the timeline. PRE will offer to correct the project setting for you. Let it.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children