6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2013 12:49 PM by Dave LaRonde

Huge File Size

dtrain_2012

I have used After Effects for 3 years to make videos and for school. I don't try to make them VFX heavy, I just use muzzle flares, blood hits, and explosion elements. My videos are 1-2 minutes in length and they are just about 8 gb. I have looked for the solution on this website but nothing has helped can someone help me? P.S. I'm on a Mac

• 2. Re: Huge File Size
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You've gone 3 years without learning about compression and output? It's time to look at the basics. I'm not trying to be rude but the forum is full of people asking this question, asking how to put files up on YouTube, asking all kinds of things about outputting files. Please read up...

• 3. Re: Huge File Size
            dtrain_2012 Level 1

I self taught myself so no I didn't look at the basics, my teachers looked at my settings to see why they are so big and couldn't figure anything out.

• 4. Re: Huge File Size
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Teachers couldn't figure it out? Really... There's a huge difference between AE's default settings (lossless) and any of the other settings as far as file size goes. All you have to do is look at the properties of the rendered movie to figure out what format you used to render. A single click in the render cue wold also reveal the information.

USE the Adobe Media Encoder to produce movies for distribution on the web or disk. These are basics that should have been addressed the first time you rendered a movie and are easily answered by typing make movie or rendering or export in the search field at the top right corner of AE. Any teacher that doesn't know that isn't devoting much energy to teaching.

• 5. Re: Huge File Size
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're self-taught, you should start at the basics. To help avoid a lot of frustration, start here to learn After Effects. Your work will be quicker and better.

• 6. Re: Huge File Size
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

I self taught myself so no I didn't look at the basics, my teachers looked at my settings to see why they are so big and couldn't figure anything out.

Um, your teachers need a little remedial education.  When working in AE, you must initially ask yourself, "What is the NEXT application that will use my work?"

When you answer that -- and for most people, it continuallly changes -- you can then determine the proper delivery specifications.  Typically, file sizes will get smaller when you do so, but it's not a hard and fast rule.  It's all about what you must deliver.  Sorry that I can't get any more specific, but your situation as I understand it precludes my doing so.