3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 10:13 AM by elainecc

Fonts get very fuzzy when scaled

roy-in-richmond Level 1

I have students doing an animation project in Edge Animate and we have recently noticed a problem with rendering fonts. In two of the student pieces, a word starts at about 24pt size and is then scaled up (using xy scaling) to several hundred percent, filling most of the stage. These transitions were working a week ago, but now they letterforms get very very blurry as they scale up. This only happens in the browser (tested on Chrome, Firefox and Safari on a Mac). If it's played within Animate it stays smooth and "vector-like".

One of the students is still running version 1.0, the other upgraded to 1.5.

Not sure what changed, or what to do about this...

• 1. Re: Fonts get very fuzzy when scaled
          elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, Roy-

What type of fonts are they using?  Are they using local fonts or a web font?  And if it's local, are the fonts bitmap-based or vector-based?

Thanks,

-Elaine

• 2. Re: Fonts get very fuzzy when scaled
            roy-in-richmond Level 1

Elaine,

The fonts are local. I used font-face to make templates for the class to use. I packaged a few select .otf files and gave them template files that had the fonts installed in advance. As I said earlier, the fonts are there and behave just fine when they are played within Edge Animate via the space-bar (or play controls). It's only when we preview in the browser that they don't render properly when being scaled. They worked several days ago, so I'm not sure what changed.

I considered using TypeKit, but the project required a type family with a very broad range of weights and widths, and, since it's purely an in-class project, I didn't think I could go that route without having a "live" website to register the fonts to. (I know this is a separate question, but am I right that typekit can't easily be used in an inclass project?).

Thank you for any help/advice...

• 3. Re: Fonts get very fuzzy when scaled
              elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, Roy-

Unless you upgraded 1.0.1 to 1.5 in between, it's very unlikely it's anything to do with Animate.  At the same time, it's pretty rare that all of the browsers would update at the same time.  Have you by any chance tried the font being scaled in straight up HTML/CSS to see if it's a problem?

I'm not 100% sure of the Typekit question, but I do know that you could likely use the same code for local development on multiple machines on localhost, or if you have a shared internal webserver you're using for your classes.  I'd check with your contact for educational software to see what the policy is.

-Elaine