Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Export Setting for TV 1080 with constant FPS

Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1080 23.976fps  DSLR footage

Coming from Final Cut Pro,  I would export a ProRes 1080 mov file for my TV.  This would give me a high quality playback.

I have experimented with several export options in PP 6 and noticed choppy playback on my TV.  Upon closer inspection, the FPS appears to be changing with each frame. 

What settings do I need for a constant 24fps with a high bitrate ?        

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...noticed choppy playback on my TV.  Upon closer inspection, the FPS appears to be changing with each frame.

What file type and codec did you export for viewing on your TV?

What are you using to play back on the TV, and what is telling you the fps is changing?

Does the file play smoothly if re-imported into Premiere?

What settings do I need for a constant 24fps with a high bitrate ?        

Whatever fps setting you use on export should not vary or be altered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What file type and codec did you export for viewing on your TV?

Quicktime...H264.  MOV  

What are you using to play back on the TV, and what is telling you the fps is changing?

Playback via my laptop using Quicktime player.  Get Info gives me the bitrate and fps.     

Does the file play smoothly if re-imported into Premiere?

Havent' tried that yet.

Whatever fps setting you use on export should not vary or be altered.

I agree!  I've been using the same export technique for years with FCP and no issues.

* I did bump up the bitrate to the max on the video tab.  There are 2 sliders and I maxed out both.   This won't be an internet file so size doesn't matter in the case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your laptop cant keep up with the bitrate and size of the movie file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree w/shooternz, back off the bitrate and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playback via my laptop using Quicktime player.

Try the default HD preset again, but this time using VLC for playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shot 2013-02-27 at 4.02.08 PM.png

4 Hours later, I am still waiting on the export of a 10 minute HD timeline.   The clips all have Magic Bullet on them but that's about all.    There must be a quicker workflow for this ?  

My Final Cut workflow was the following...

Export a 5-10 minute ProRes HD Sequence takes about 5 minutes!   I then open theProRes mov file and convert to H264 with a smaller dimension. I use quicktime player to make this conversion.  This takes me no more than 1 hour.   Total export and conversion with Apple's Final Cut averages about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the MB that dramatically slows things down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The export completed and looks great.  I choose a bitrate of 3.  There are however existing issues.....

1. The FTP upload crashed PP.   Prior to exporting from the Media window, I did a successful FTP test.
  2. While I understand that Magic Bullet takes time to render,  I am experiencing a dramatically slower process having switched over to PP from Final Cut.  The editing process in PP is great and there is much to love about it but I can't accept a 4 hour export in comparison to 1.5 hours.  To much valuable time is lost here.

Is there a way to simply export a Master copy of the timeline where the quality is lossless.  This way, I could have Quicktime create the delivery format for me.

I have tried a compression of "NONE"  with a 10 second clip and the exported clip would NOT playback.  I tried different version of Quicktime as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can export your timeline as an avi using a "lossless" codec like Lagarith or UT - both of these are free downloads.

Another good possibility is to use the free Avid DNxHD codec to export as a mov file - this too is visually lossless.

Whether any of these will give a speedy export where you have used MB you will have to see.

Without third-party effects, I find the Avid codec is the quickest to export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the FPS appears to be changing with each frame. 

That's unlikely.  The video industry is based around a single frame rate for any given file.  And PP itself isn't capable of exporting variable frame rates.  Bitrates, yes, but not frame rates.

For TV viewing of that source material, I recommend the HD 1080p 23.976 preset found under the H.264 format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In particular, I"m noticing lag on a clip that I keyframed the "Motion' of and my animated logo which is a MOV ProRes HQ file.  This clip was created in AE. 

I have used my logo in many projects under Final Cut and after exporting my timeline, no lagging.

In the timeline, the animated logo and the keyframed clip playback perfectly.  I am only seeing this lag after I export Media and playback on my laptop and or desktop.

The laptop hasn't experienced any playback issues until I introduced it to an mp4 file from PP6.

I should also mention that all of the clips in the timeline are 1080 DSLR footage. 

Thanks to everyone for their helpful ideas! 

Joe, I have tried the HD 1080p 23.976 preset found under the H.264 format and the film playsback fine except for the aforementioned clips above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the specs of the animated and logo clips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specs of the animated logo are..

1920x1080 H.264  Color Profile HD(1-1-1)  Total Bit rate: 32,179

I spoke with tech support today and they created a ARRI sequence for my Canon DSLR footage.  We then lowered the bitrate to 5 and the exported playback appears smooth with very little dropped frames.  A few frames are still being dropped but not enough to visually affect the film from a viewing standpoint.

*This may have solved this issue but I won't know until exporting the entire timeline.

From the media export window, if I raise the bitrate above 10, clips with camera movement, keyframes or animation experience  heavily drop frames during playback.   Its odd b/c those same effects playback very smooth in MOV files that were exported from Final Cut Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines