5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2013 12:34 PM by Hosac

Is anyone producing 5+ GB files?

Hosac

I have a client whose designers will not take file size into consideration before designing photoshop based layouts, then having them approved by their clients, then expecting me to be able to make their thumbnail sized concepts full-sized realities.  I'm hitting a wall on being able to get these files OFF my computer and into their hands.  I can't get either a 5+ GB or 8+ GB file onto a 200 GB external to even transport.

How do you get a file that big? you ask? By starting with 196.5" x 40" dimensions and desiring a 250 dpi output.

Any one else dealing with behemoth files on a regular basis? Please help!

• 1. Re: Is anyone producing 5+ GB files?
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Hosac wrote:

I can't get either a 5+ GB or 8+ GB file onto a 200 GB external to even transport.

What do you mean by that?  Are you seeing file transfers error-out, or corruption of the data?

A good solid computer system (which will need to be fairly well endowed to handle multi-gigabyte documents) should be able to transfer such data between its drives without error.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Is anyone producing 5+ GB files?
            Hosac Level 1

I get the message "The operation can't be completed because of an unexpected error occurred (error code 0).

I'm on a Mac Pro 2 x 3GHZ Dual-Core with 16 GB and a TB internal and have tried to transfer to both a 16 GB flash and a 200 GB external. 

I've also tried Saving As onto the drive and get the message "Could not save as (file name) because the document is bigger than 2 gigabytes.  See help topic "Saving Files" for more information.

I've had absolutely no problem with files just under the 5 GB size, but I seem to have hit a wall on being able to move one over 5.

There's no issue working on the file, just in trying to get the dang thing off!

• 3. Re: Is anyone producing 5+ GB files?
              conroy Level 5

Hosac wrote:

I can't get either a 5+ GB or 8+ GB file onto a 200 GB external to even transport.

Is the external FAT32 format? FAT32 doesn't support files of 4GB and larger. Use a NTFS (Windows) or HFS+ (OS X) formatted drive. Or save to your regular work drive (which will not be FAT32) then use a file splitter and move the resulting pieces to the FAT32 drive. The recipient can then reconstitute the original file on a non-FAT32 drive.

• 4. Re: Is anyone producing 5+ GB files?
                Hosac Level 1

Yep, it's FAT32. What should I reformat the external to that about any Mac based client can access?  This client won't up with reconstituting anything, other wise I would them pieces to relayer.

• 5. Re: Is anyone producing 5+ GB files?
                  Hosac Level 1

Never mind. You already answered that above.  It's been a long couple of days.

Thanks!