9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2013 9:32 AM by dlclapp58 RSS

PE11 locks up.

dlclapp58

New user:   iMac 10.7.5  3.4GHz i7 4GB mem ~2GB free  300GB disc free

When I tried to import from a card reader, some pictures were, maybe 75 of the 339 in the card.  Then PE11 became unresponsive, can't quit, cancel.   Mouse still worked on other programs.   As another thought, I didn't like for it to open in full screen mode.

• 1. Re: PE11 locks up.
          John T Smith CommunityMVP

Why are you using Premiere Elements, a video editor, to try and edit pictures?

Are you going to make a movie, or slideshow, from those pictures?

Read Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large May = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

-And another crash report http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 2. Re: PE11 locks up.
            dlclapp58 Community Member

My Sony camera ( HX200 ) does good photos and AVCHD or MP4 movies.   I'm on a Mac and have used iPhoto for all of my pictures.   When I try movie clips ( MP4 only ) iPhoto will import them sometimes and will lock up sometimes.    It takes a hard boot to get the system back.   I have tried iMovie and the results are the same.   The specs on PE says "AVCHD and MP4" work.

I want to produce a slide show eventually and include some movie clips.    PE seems to be even poorer than iPhoto.

• 3. Re: PE11 locks up.
              Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

Have you ensured that all of your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size before you bring them into a Premiere Elements project?

• 4. Re: PE11 locks up.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.    My pictures are several times that size.    If I had known that was a limitation I would have saved my money.   My movies are even 1980 x 1020.  I have stills that are 3456 x 2592 and 4912 x 1080.    I guess I'll stick with iPhoto without movies.

• 5. Re: PE11 locks up.
                  the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

The limitation on Image sizes in PrE is 4096 x 4096, but each Image takes resources to process.

That is why we normally suggest Scaling them down to ~ 2000 x 1500 for HD (High Def) Projects. The "rule of thumb" is 1000 x 750 for SD (Standard Def) Projects. This relieves the computer having to process pixels, that are not used.

Even with 4000 x 3000, within the 4096 x 4096 limitation, a lot of computing horsepower is used up, and one cannot show more than 1920 x 1080 pixels at a time, with an HD Project, so the extra pixels just take resources, to no end.

Also, Photoshop and Photoshop Elements have more and better Scaling algorithms, than does PrE - they are, after all, Image editing programs.

When Scaled outside of Premiere, I have had Projects with 3000+ 720 x 480 (SD Project), that edited smoothly. On the same computer, a Project with but five 4096 x 4096 Images slowed to a crawl, with the sixth. I had to take the Project to Adobe After Effects, as it handles large Images in a totally different, and better way.

For advice on Scaling large Still Images, this article should be helpful: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798?start=0&tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE11 locks up.

As I said,  I'll stick with iPhoto.  It's much better with pictures.   Several thousand High def. doesn't slow it down at all.   Its just movie clips that cause a problem.

• 7. Re: PE11 locks up.
                      the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

Now, as per Steve's earlier comment, are you editing Video, or Images?

PrE is a Video editor, and not an Image editor.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE11 locks up.
                        John T Smith CommunityMVP

>If I had known that was a limitation

Grin... what I said, with information and crash report links, back in reply #1

• 9. Re: PE11 locks up.

I'm not interested in using it to edit pictures, just select and put in order for a slide show on DVD.    I'm done with PE, an almost virgin copy is now for sale.    Cheap.   :-)