11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2007 5:37 AM by Newsgroup_User RSS

IIS 7, Dreamweaver CS3, PHP and MySQL 5

webdeveloperjc Community Member
      I am having problems connecting Dreamweaver, PHP and MySQL all togethter in windows IIS 7. How can I fix this problem?
        • 1. Re: IIS 7, Dreamweaver CS3, PHP and MySQL 5
          Community Member
          "webdeveloperjc" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fh1s2f$rqt$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I am having problems connecting Dreamweaver, PHP and MySQL all togethter
          > in windows IIS 7. How can I fix this problem?

What problem?

• 2. Re: IIS 7, Dreamweaver CS3, PHP and MySQL 5
            Community Member

>I am having problems connecting Dreamweaver, PHP and MySQL all togethter in
            >windows IIS 7. How can I fix this problem?

Install Linux and Apache. ;o)

_Darrel

• 3. Re: IIS 7, Dreamweaver CS3, PHP and MySQL 5
              Is there any way that I can do all this without thaving to install Apache or linux??
              • 4. Re: IIS 7, Dreamweaver CS3, PHP and MySQL 5
                Community Member
                webdeveloperjc wrote:
                > Is there any way that I can do all this without thaving to install Apache or linux??

There are full setup instructions for running PHP on IIS7 in my book
                "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3 with CSS, Ajax, and PHP" (follow
                the link in my sig for more details). Generally speaking, it's not
                recommended to use IIS for PHP, but I did test it and set it up
                successfully when writing the book.

Basic things to bear in mind:

* Disable User Access Control (UAC) in Vista before running the Windows
                PHP installer.
                * The Windows PHP installer offers two options for IIS: as an ISAPI
                module and CGI. Only the CGI option works.
                * Once everything is set up, you can turn UAC back on.

--
                David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
                Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
                Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
                http://foundationphp.com/
                • 5. Re: IIS 7, Dreamweaver CS3, PHP and MySQL 5
                  IIS7 is suppose to have a better handeling of PHP, now this is for my personal use and web development, it is not intended for live production. I am running IIS7 on vista Ultimate, it was working well untill the following: I did installed manually PHP (longtime ago), it was working well, I tested, I did also install MySql (lates version)(longtime ago) and it was also running well (tested), then I went to dreamweaver(never tried this before) and try to connect a PHP document to my local MySQL and the system got screw up. I was able to connect PHP documents but with databases located on my webhost server (outside hosting company) without no problems, but when I tried with my localhost my system now is not working properly.

One thing I did: when I was in DW trying to connect to data base, because I was not having luck connecting I read an article(dont remember from) but I did click Site mune - Advance-Remove Connection Scripts, and after I did this , I was not able to enter to my localhost, MySQL and I get an error when I try to enter the properties of Default Web Site in the IIS Manager console: The error is as follow:
                  Filename:
                  C:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config\ApplicationHost.config
                  Line 108:
                  Error: The 'password' is invalid

Also, if I go to the Services Manager Console and try to start the World Wide Web Publishing Service I get the following error:
                  Windows could not start the WWWPS service on Local Computer
                  Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Do you have any idea what's going on here???
                  • 6. Re: IIS 7, Dreamweaver CS3, PHP and MySQL 5
                    Community Member
                    webdeveloperjc wrote:
                    > IIS7 is suppose to have a better handeling of PHP

Better than what? If you mean better than IIS6, that might possibly be
                    true. In general, though, PHP works best with Apache, which is easily
                    installed in Vista (UAC must be turned off during installation).

> Do you have any idea what's going on here???

It sounds as though you have corrupted IIS7.

--
                    David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
                    Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)
                    Author, "PHP Solutions" (friends of ED)
                    http://foundationphp.com/
                    • 7. Re: IIS 7, Dreamweaver CS3, PHP and MySQL 5
                      Community Member
                      news:fh43om$s5e$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Is there any way that I can do all this without thaving to install Apache
                      > or linux??

FWIW I'm running PHP under the ASP.NET framework on Vista using
                      http://www.php-compiler.net

• 8. Re: IIS 7, Dreamweaver CS3, PHP and MySQL 5
                        Ok, thanks.
                        1. Where do I get a copy of apache?
                        2. How do I fix the problem I have now with IIS7?
                        3. Where tdo I turn off the UAC?

Thanks
                        • 9. Re: IIS 7, Dreamweaver CS3, PHP and MySQL 5
                          Community Member
                          news:fh4qn1$qgt$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Ok, thanks.
                          > 1. Where do I get a copy of apache?
                          > 2. How do I fix the problem I have now with IIS7?
                          > 3. Where tdo I turn off the UAC?
                          >
                          > Thanks

I suggest you start with 3 then work your way up ;)

1. http://httpd.apache.org/

2. Uninstall IIS, Re Install IIS
                          http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/10aac45e-e993-42a2-bf93-275375d6626 31033.mspx?mfr=true

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/0d75f774-8514-4c9e-ac08-4c21f5c6c2d9 1033.mspx

• 10. Re: IIS 7, Dreamweaver CS3, PHP and MySQL 5
                            Thank you for all that info. Now, I have a question; If I install Apche, why do I need IIS7? or do I still need to have IIS7 in oder to run Apache?

Also I was reading the Apache installation for Windows and here is something I don't know how to manage:

Run the Apache .msi file you downloaded above. The installation will ask you for these things:

1. Network Domain. Enter the DNS domain in which your server is or will be registered in. For example, if your server's full DNS name is server.mydomain.net, you would type mydomain.net here.

2. Server Name. Your server's full DNS name. From the example above, you would type server.mydomain.net here.

3. Administrator's Email Address. Enter the server administrator's or webmaster's email address here. This address will be displayed along with error messages to the client by default.

4. For whom to install Apache Select for All Users, on Port 80, as a Service - Recommended if you'd like your new Apache to listen at port 80 for incoming traffic. It will run as a service (that is, Apache will run even if no one is logged in on the server at the moment) Select only for the Current User, on Port 8080, when started Manually if you'd like to install Apache for your personal experimenting or if you already have another WWW server running on port 80.

5. The installation type. Select Typical for everything except the source code and libraries for module development. With Custom you can specify what to install. A full install will require about 13 megabytes of free disk space. This does not include the size of your web site(s).

Question 1: This is my personal computer, how do I know the DNS domain in which my server is?
                            Q 2: what is my server's full DNS name?
                            Q3: I sthis an email addres from the computer server or from my ISP?
                            Q4: I guess here I should do this: for the Current User, on Port 8080,
                            Q5: I usually like to install Full packages.

Pardon my inorance, I am trying to learn here.

Then, I had this problem before : corruction of my ISS7, the first time I installed Vista, I belive back in february, I runned into this problem too. For some reason my IIS7 got corruct it (don't have a clue why) and I had the same problem, I was not able to reinstall IIS7 without having to format my computer from scratch (pain in the bud). Is there any way that I can unistall IIS and reinstall it without having to reformat my whole computer?

I am really confuse here, I have been working a couple of years now as a web designer and this is still a black whole for me. I really want to get a clear understanding of how server work and how configure then. I really apreciate the help to get me to a new level of understanding.

All I see at this point is the need to reconfigure my computer, but I will wait untill some responses to this Post to make a desicion.

Thanks once again.
                            • 11. Re: IIS 7, Dreamweaver CS3, PHP and MySQL 5
                              Community Member

news:fh6tmd$gti$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Thank you for all that info. Now, I have a question; If I install Apche,
                              > why do
                              > I need IIS7? or do I still need to have IIS7 in oder to run Apache?
                              >
                              > Also I was reading the Apache installation for Windows and here is
                              > something I
                              > don't know how to manage:
                              >
                              > Run the Apache .msi file you downloaded above. The installation will ask
                              > you
                              > for these things:
                              >
                              > 1. Network Domain. Enter the DNS domain in which your server is or will be
                              > registered in. For example, if your server's full DNS name is
                              > server.mydomain.net, you would type mydomain.net here.

This is the domain name that's usually assigned by the DHCP server, in most
                              end-user setups the router functions as a DHCP server

> 2. Server Name. Your server's full DNS name. From the example above, you
                              > would
                              > type server.mydomain.net here.

YOURCOMPUTERNAME.DOMAINNAMEFROMABOVE

> 3. Administrator's Email Address. Enter the server administrator's or
                              > webmaster's email address here. This address will be displayed along with
                              > error
                              > messages to the client by default.

Since you will be the server's administrator, this should lead to you

> 4. For whom to install Apache Select for All Users, on Port 80, as a
                              > Service -
                              > Recommended if you'd like your new Apache to listen at port 80 for
                              > incoming
                              > traffic. It will run as a service (that is, Apache will run even if no one
                              > is
                              > logged in on the server at the moment) Select only for the Current User,
                              > on
                              > Port 8080, when started Manually if you'd like to install Apache for your
                              > personal experimenting or if you already have another WWW server running
                              > on
                              > port 80.

To install it as a service on port 80, IIS should not be running any sites
                              on the same port

> 5. The installation type. Select Typical for everything except the source
                              > code
                              > and libraries for module development. With Custom you can specify what to
                              > install. A full install will require about 13 megabytes of free disk
                              > space.
                              > This does not include the size of your web site(s).
                              >
                              > Question 1: This is my personal computer, how do I know the DNS domain in
                              > which my server is?

Try opening a command-prompt and entering the following command
                              ipconfig /all

> Q 2: what is my server's full DNS name?
                              see above answer
                              > Q3: I sthis an email addres from the computer server or from my ISP?
                              this is your email
                              > Q4: I guess here I should do this: for the Current User, on Port 8080

In case you might want to have multiple accounts on your computer it would
                              make more sense to run is as a system service

> Q5: I usually like to install Full packages.

Install what you need, what isn't there can't be abused

> Pardon my inorance, I am trying to learn here.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/
                              http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/platform/windows.html

> Then, I had this problem before : corruction of my ISS7, the first time I
                              > installed Vista, I belive back in february, I runned into this problem
                              > too. For
                              > some reason my IIS7 got corruct it (don't have a clue why) and I had the
                              > same
                              > problem, I was not able to reinstall IIS7 without having to format my
                              > computer
                              > from scratch (pain in the bud). Is there any way that I can unistall IIS
                              > and
                              > reinstall it without having to reformat my whole computer?

That should be possible, never tried it

> I am really confuse here, I have been working a couple of years now as a
                              > web
                              > designer and this is still a black whole for me. I really want to get a
                              > clear
                              > understanding of how server work and how configure then. I really
                              > apreciate the
                              > help to get me to a new level of understanding.

> All I see at this point is the need to reconfigure my computer, but I will
                              > wait untill some responses to this Post to make a desicion.

If you want you CAN run PHP under IIS either by installing the PHP
                              interpreter or the PHP compiler for .NET I talked about earlier, it was a
                              pretty painless process for me , off course your IIS configuration has to be
                              correct no less than your APACHE configuration has to be

http://php.net/install.windows

> Thanks once again.