10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2013 6:03 AM by John W. Butcher RSS

H.M.R.C. forms.

John W. Butcher Community Member

Why can I not open H.M.R.C. forms Chv1 and R68(i) to file my Gift Aid claims?H

• 1. Re: H.M.R.C. forms.
          Test Screen Name MVP

Please tell us what happens when you try. If there is an error message, please give it exactly.

• 2. Re: H.M.R.C. forms.

This is the message that comes up on the screen and stays there.

Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF

viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by

visiting http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.

For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/support/products/

acrreader.html.

Windows is either a registered trademark or a trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Mac is a trademark

of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and o

• 3. Re: H.M.R.C. forms.
              Test Screen Name MVP

Ok, something is happening, and it isn't what you'd expect.

How are you looking at these forms

* Are you on Mac or Windows?

* Are you looking at the forms in your web browser, or something else?

* What is the web browser you are using?

* Do you have Adobe Reader on the system?

• 4. Re: H.M.R.C. forms.
                Dave Merchant ACP/MVPs

Are you running Linux, or using a non-Adobe PDF viewer (such as the inbuilt tools in Chrome or Firefox)?

That message typically appears when you try to display an XFA (LiveCycle) form and the software can't understand it - which implies that you're not seeing it inside Adobe Reader.

• 5. Re: H.M.R.C. forms.
                  Phillip Jones Community Member

The new PDF viewer Built in to FireFox 19 and above PDF.js is Only a viewer  it doesn't for now do forms, and may never seems Adobe is putting in stumbling blocks

On PC the Adobe PDF Viewer  works On Windows Machines just Fine.

On Mac it never has since OSX came out In Mozilla Products. I've been told by an employee They are not interested, and never will be interested in getting it to work on Gecko based Browsers.  Even though they Provide it in the download for Mac year after year. Until recently I was able to fill out forms using PDFBrowser Plugin by Shubert of Germany.  But the last update broke that. And it appears he has disconinued all efforst to update the plugin. Seems Adobe has changed the way they do javascript which is you in certain buttons.  I can use Reader but it downloads the file and doesn't actually work on the Web site so submitt doesn't workas it should, you have to save and email.  So what PC Users take as everday task like falling off a log, Mac users are shut out or it’s a PIA do. As it stands the only was forms and button work is Chrome is used on a Mac.

• 6. Re: H.M.R.C. forms.

HI Phillip.

I am using Windows so this should not be the problem.

Thanks anyway.

Regards

John.

• 7. Re: H.M.R.C. forms.

Hi Dave.

I downloaded the latest Adobe reader from the web site just incase ours was too old so this should have solved the problem according to the H.M.R.C. message I got.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Regards

John.

• 8. Re: H.M.R.C. forms.

In answer to your question,

1) I am using Windows.

2) I am using the web browser

3) I have Google chrome

4) I had Adobe but it was an older version so, as per H.M.R.C. message, I downloaded the latest version in case that was the problem.

Many thanks for your response

Best regards

John.

• 9. Re: H.M.R.C. forms.
                          Test Screen Name MVP

Ok, Google Chrome is the problem. It shows PDF files WITHOUT using Adobe Reader. To use Adobe Reader you will need to save the PDF file first; you can do this when it appears with the message "If this message is not eventually replaced..." Click the Save icon in the floating toolbar and save to your desktop.

NOW open the PDF, with Reader. It should work correctly.

• 10. Re: H.M.R.C. forms.

MANY THANKS!!!!!

It works wonderfully.

Sorry to trouble you but it was driving me crazy.

Mank thanks again

John.