10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 12:28 PM by Ed.Macke

How To Annotate Clips For Later Use

Ed.Macke Level 3

All, long time user of Premiere Elements, but new to Premiere Pro....

I'm looking for an *easy* way to mark a clip (or preferably a point within a clip) as something I want to use later for an end-of-project montage.

One way seems to be to use the "insert marker" button in the timeline panel. Simple enough, but I don't see any way to later say "show me a list of any clip that has a marker in it".

I think I could click on each marker as I add it and enter some comment in the dialog box like "montage", and later find all those "montage" comments. But a) that's a few too many clicks and typing for my liking - too disruptive to my flow, and b) it's too dependent on me entering the exact word "montage" every time - any typo's or mistakenly entering "recap" or something instead, and the clip wouldn't show up.

Another way might be to check the "Good" box on the metadata(?) panel. But a) it only identifies a clip, not a point within a clip, b) I can't seem to find a way to later do a filter to bring up a list of every clip that's checked "Good", and c) I don't think I'd want to have the metadata panel open as part of my standard workflow, so every time I wanted to mark a clip, I'd have to switch the metadata panel, find the clip, and click the "X".

My perfect solution would be something like simply clicking the "insert marker" button on the timeline when I have something I want to use, then having a pre-defined filter (or something) that brought up a list of those marked clips (maybe even with an "in point" at the marked location!).

Thoughts? Seems like a fairly common workflow issue....

• 1. Re: How To Annotate Clips For Later Use
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The easiest way might be to just add it to the montage sequence when you first work with the clip.  You can always go back later and clean it up the montage.

• 2. Re: How To Annotate Clips For Later Use
            Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

LOL!  Sounds like you should try FCP X!  Seriously, it's ability to automatically organize zillions of clips and sections of clips by **several** different keywords is far and away one of my favorite things about the program.

Barring that, however, I would suggest making subclips and naming them well.  You will also want to setup a keyboard shortcut (there doesn't seem to be one by default).  The menu item is under the "clip" menu.  I know it seems like a lot of work but, with a keyboard shortcut set up, all you'd have to do is mark in and out points, hit the shortcut, a dialog box will popup prompting you for a name, and you're good to go for the next clip.  Then make bins for each type of clip so you'd end up with a bin full clips names "montage_01", "montage_02" and so on. 

I have found that taking the time, upfront, to organize your media **especially** if you have an awful lot of it, really saves a ton of time in the long run.  Best of all, when the deadline is looming and you need to find a specific clip, it's right there where you put it.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How To Annotate Clips For Later Use
              Ed.Macke Level 3

So just create a montage sequence when I start my project, and toss stuff in there as I go?

You know, that seems like a really good idea... it's simple, efficient, and when I go to do the montage the hard work has already been done... very intriguing!

So, simple interface question then: if I have a clip and the montage sequence in my media panel, can I just drag the clip to the sequence? Or do I need to drag the clip to the sequence's timeline panel?

• 4. Re: How To Annotate Clips For Later Use
                Ed.Macke Level 3

Yeah, I don't think FCP X is in the cards! Well, more accurately it's not in the budget

What's weird is that Lightroom also has keywording ability... in spades. You can keyword out the wazoo, then slice and dice 20 different ways from Sunday to find what you want. And Lightroom even handles video clips.

So note to Adobe: add Lightroom's keywording panel to Premiere Pro!

I'm a big fan of keeping things orgranized (and of keyboard shortcuts). Not a big fan of typing, though, and especially of trying to keep clip names straight, etc. Even with a shortcut, I'd still have to think and manually type in the name - it's not hard, of course, but not quite as easy as a mouse-drag to an always-open sequence.

I might play around with the bin idea, though.... thanks!

• 5. Re: How To Annotate Clips For Later Use
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

So just create a montage sequence when I start my project, and toss stuff in there as I go?

It's what I do.  Keeps thing simple.

http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/adding-clips-to-a-sequence-1

• 6. Re: How To Annotate Clips For Later Use
                    Ed.Macke Level 3

The more I play with sequences, and think about this workflow, the more I like your idea, Jim.

I actually have that video2brain training series, but I'm going to have to go back and revisit some of the lessons with my new understanding of sequences. When I first watched them, I kind of tuned out those parts because I didn't plan on really using sequences. Your suggestion, and the other thread with Hunt, are really making me re-think that!!

• 7. Re: How To Annotate Clips For Later Use
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that when you revisit the videos, much more will make sense now. Once you have tasted the power of Sequences, you will wonder how you were ever able to work in PrE, without them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How To Annotate Clips For Later Use
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I didn't plan on really using sequences.

Just to be clear, you can't edit anything in PP without using a sequence.  You really do have to use one if you want to assemble multiple clips into a whole.  I think it's just the idea of using more than one in the same project that might be new.

• 9. Re: How To Annotate Clips For Later Use
                          Ed.Macke Level 3

I have a feeling you're right about that!

I feel like the proverbial light bulb went on over my head. Everything finally clicked, and I'm actually excited to go back and revisit the parts I glossed over.

Is it sad that after I typed the part about the light bulb, I drifted off to contemplate how that effect would be done?... "Hmm, light bulb clip art on Track 2, probably a "ding" sound effect....")

• 10. Re: How To Annotate Clips For Later Use
                            Ed.Macke Level 3

I think it's just the idea of using more than one in the same project that might be new.

Yes, exactly!