4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2013 4:31 PM by iclick

ACR will not save edits

iclick

I have a new Win7 x64 build with CS6 and ACR 7.3 installed, and have a problem with ACR not saving settings properly after the "Done" button is selected.  In the past when I work in Bridge, open a NEF (raw) file, edit it in ACR, then hit "Done", when I return to Bridge the changes are reflected in the thumbnail.  They are not showing now and the file looks the same as it did originally.  Oddly, the round icon at the top right of thumbnails in Bridge are present as expected.  When I try to view the same NEF file in a third-party thumbnail app (Faststone) or in Windows Explorer I also see no change.  Thus, I have concluded that the problem lies with ACR.

Some notes: 

1. While in ACR if I click on "Save Image" and save as a DNG the changes take effect in the resulting file for all apps.

2.  When I edit a raw file in ACR and select "Done" the icon on the top right of Bridge thumbnails are present as they should be.

3.  I have CS6 (x86 version) with the same version of ACR installed in another machine (XP Pro x86) and ACR works as expected there.

I tried to engage Adobe tech support and after multiple calls, call-backs, and about an hour of wasted time they continue to force me into a callback procedure.  When they call I'm not here, so when I call them and must start again at square one.  I'm hoping someone here can help, as this problem makes it very difficult to edit a large amount of raw files in Bridge. 

• 1. Re: ACR will not save edits
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Check your Bridge Preview settings to make sure they are set to either High Quality on Demand, or Always High Quality. If it's set to Embedded, Bridge will not regenerate the preview and working in ACR. I use Always High Quality...

• 2. Re: ACR will not save edits
            iclick Level 1

Well, Jeff--you are a genuine guru.  That did it!  It was set to "Prefer Embedded" and I changed it to "Always High Quality."  I also enabled "Generate 100% Previews" only because that's the way it is set on the old computer.  I was blaming ACR since I also saw no changes in Faststone Viewer, but it wouldn't show them since it has no access to the database (I'm not using sidecar files).  I noticed that if you click on the icon next to the options icon it will reset to Embedded, and I may have clicked on that inadvertently at some point in time.  

Thanks!  You accomplished what Adobe support couldn't in an hour of wasted time on the phone.

• 3. Re: ACR will not save edits
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

iclick wrote:

Thanks!  You accomplished what Adobe support couldn't in an hour of wasted time on the phone.

Thanks...but the only reason I know this is because it's happened to me before so it's always something I double-check.

And yes, clicking the left icon is, I think, a stupid thing because I don't think an icon should behave like a button and change something in a dropdown menu and fail to show something has been changed.

• 4. Re: ACR will not save edits
                iclick Level 1

I'm just relieved, as editing a large number of NEF files using Bridge was difficult when the thumbnails wouldn't show the changes.  Adobe support is supposed to call me again "within 2-3 days," and I'm going to give them a mouthful.  What lousy support for such a premium product and a 15-year customer.  I hope they send me one of those support rating emails.