29 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2015 4:04 AM by jamieaudiovisual RSS

CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?

jamesd89

Hi all,

I'm IT support to a team of studio artists who are having some issues with our newly upgrade CS6 Premium suite (Mac OS 10.6 + Mac OS 10.8).

Situation: (Mac OS 10.6 problem) someone will be working on a 2GB network file, and tries to open a PDF to import elements into the current document. Machine has 12GB RAM (7 allocated to PS, 2 free, the rest used with OS/other apps).

After choosing the PDF file, the window will pop up and become 'stuck' in front of all other windows, all other programs. Activity Monitor describes PS as hung (red text) but Finder still recognises it as working (but will not show the program title in the menu bar). It is possible to CMD+TAB between programs, and the pallets recognise mouse-over actions but are unresponsive to click. Again, "Import" window is on top of all other windows, and can be moved but does not respond to mouse clicks.

Activity Monitor also shows intense disk activity (60-80MB/s) on local volumes. It appears not to be network activity though (while hanging, 50-150KB/s). RAM allocation doesn't change during this time.

If you can be patient enough, the system often recovers PS, but this can take a few minutes.

The extreme disk activity implies that PS is processing on the scratch disk, but what or why is it doing this, and is there any way to disable it. Would it have anything to do with Background Save or Autosave? Something to do with purging memory?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

James D.

• 1. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
          Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Do you get the same hang if you copy the file to your local machine first, then open it?

• 2. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
            jamesd89 Community Member

Yep, the issue happens when working on large files locally also.

Issue usually won't happen straight away, happens reliably after working on large files for an hour or two. Annoying to try replicate I guess.

Any ideas or things you'd like me to try? I've turned background saving off temporarily but after 30 mins the whole computer froze, so that's back on.

Cheers.

• 3. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
              Chris Cox Adobe Employee

If the whole computer froze - then you're looking at hardware problems, OS bugs, or low level driver bugs.

But without more details, it just sounds like it's taking a lot of time to process a huge file.

• 4. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?

After PS froze, you could tab between programs for a bit, but then Finder froze and couldn't be relaunched. I believe that PS is affecting the windowserver process (which explains the behaviour of the app and the window getting stuck on top), which in this case resulted in a systemwide crash.

We're running Mac Pro systems from 2009 which are very stable, basic NVIDIA graphics, recently re-imaged with a blank 10.6.8 and installed CS6. We didn't get this problem in CS4 (skipped 5 and 5.5).

The problem is that the PDF was only a 2MB file. Why would PS be going crazy with disk writing activity when a PDF is imported? Is it writing everything out of the RAM?

• 5. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                  Chris Cox Adobe Employee

If you rasterize at a large size, or if the contents of the PDF decompress to something large - Photoshop will have to page data to the scratch file. As you allocate memory (RAM), the OS will also grow it's swapfile - both of which cause disk activity beyond just reading the PDF file.  Plus the PDF can reference fonts and color profiles that need to be loaded,  and could reference linked files that have to be loaded, etc.

• 6. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?

Chris, while I very much appreciate your time and support, I feel like you are telling me this is either expected behaviour or a computer problem. While that could be the case, there are elements here that make me think otherwise:

This is not one particular PDF I'm referring to, but any PDF, even the most simple and basic text based document. It seems that the PDF document itself doesn't make a difference, but the action of opening one.

Just to confirm, PS is hanging and also causing unexpected behaviour in the windowserver process by forcing panels ontop of other programs that are in the foreground. We're also experiencing ~75MB/s disk write for the duration (75MB x 60 sec x 2 mins = ~9GB) of the hang.

We're currently working on artwork that did not exhibit this phenomena under CS4. Could this be a bug?

• 7. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                      Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Without seeing the files involved, it sounds expected.

There might be a real problem - but I'd have to examine the files to determine that.

Photoshop should not force anything on top of other applications, nor interfere with the window server.

We have some cases where we think other applications (browsers) are causing similar issues, but nothing that we can determine is caused by Photoshop itself.

• 8. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                        NightRed_ Community Member

I also experience this problem.  Everyday!

CS6, MAC 10.6.8

I work at a print shop, and customers always send PDF files.  Not beacuse their vector.  Raster files are sent as PDF's as well.

Everytime I open up a PDF in Adobe Photoshop, the program freezes for about 5 Min or more.  I cant exit out, only force quit the program.  The only work-around I know of is to convert to tiff in acrobat or illustrator.  Super annoying work-around.  Adobe Photoshop should know what you trying to do.

Adobe should fix this.  I dont think were the only ones who experence this problem......

Also Chris Cox, you should have a more helpful attitude.  Sounds like you trying to play the blame game....

• 9. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                          Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Excuse me?

I'm trying to help here.

But without example files to examine and reproduce the problem, we can't do much.

And it's not blame when you tell someone the truth about where the problem exists (ie: whole system freezing has to be hardware, OS or drivers).

My guess is that this is not a core Photoshop problem (or we'd be hearing a lot more complaints and see the problem ourselves), but something in a font manager or other utility that only happens to people who have that utility installed.

• 10. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?

Give me an email and I will send the next PDF that crashes Photoshop.

CS6, MAC 10.6.8

• 11. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                              Chris Cox Adobe Employee

ccox (at) adobe (dot) com

Also, this was talking about hangs, not crashes.

Hangs/freezes and crashes are very different things.

• 12. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?

Sent you an email.  Never got a response.

• 13. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                  VMount

Exact same problem here.

If you start afresh and open a PDF it will open with no problems.

The next time you try there is a 50:50 chance the Photoshop PDF dialogue box will freeze.

The longer Photoshop has been open, the worse it gets - until there is a 100% chance any PDF will freeze PS.

• 14. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                    JointyJr

Exactly the same for me - as described by VMount, with all the 8 minute hangs and furious drive bashing described, all for a simple pdf import.

FYI - this happened to me with CS3/4 on a PPC and Intel Tower, also, I've now got a MacBook Pro using CS6 and the problem continues

• 15. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                      eastbayLA

I'm having the exact same problem. And it does seem like the longer photoshop is open, the more it happens. I think it might be font related — when I converted a file to outlines and made a pdf, I was able to open it in photoshop.

• 16. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                        PECourtejoie ACP

eastbayLA, this might be useful information. Is it the case as well for other members?

• 17. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                          hutchcolor Community Member

I've had exactly the same problem since installing CS6. Seems worse the longer Photoshop has been running. Even the simplest PDF causes the hang. If I re-start Photoshop the next PDF seems to open OK, but then the problem returns quickly.

If I wait five+ minutes the problem usually resolves itself, but it's quicker to force-quit Photoshop and start again.

• 18. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                            Señor Pobbin

Hi all, add me to the list of people that has had this issue for a long time, and like JointyJr I think it's even been since CS3...

As some of you suggest it might have something to do with font management; could Fontagent Pro be involved? I've been using this font manager and the plugins that come with it over the same period that this bug has been around, but I guess it would be too much of a coincidence that all of you are using Fontagent Pro as well?

I have suspected it of being involved in other strange behaviour like program errors and freezes, also within Photoshop, so even if just for the sake of ruling it out... anyone?

• 19. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                              JointyJr Community Member

Definately not any font management software causeing this - I have none installed, I'm just using Font Book.

Using fseventer I saw only two noatble processes writing to my hard drive was "com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist" and there was something being written in private/var/folders/z1 "PSNormalizer" .

Spotlight was also up to somehting too.

• 20. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                                j etch 2

Count me as another having the same problem (CS6 & Mac OS 10.6.8). I need to open pdfs in Photoshop all the time and it's driving me crazy!

Basically I open a pdf and the Import PDF dialog box pops up, but then hangs for 3-4 minutes. I'd estimate it happens about 50% of the time. I haven't been able to figure out any pattern as to why it happens or doesn't happen.

I also have CS5 installed and have never had the same issue there (with the same pdfs).

Any ideas???

• 21. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?

Hey Chris or anyone else from Adobe - is there any chance we can get this looked at slightly more in-depth?

This issue is re-occurring across our four Mac Pro workstations of various ages and operating systems.

Why is Photoshop writing out the contents of the RAM when I open a pdf?

We're working with machines that have 8-16GB worth of RAM and having to write that out to the scratch disk every time you open a PDF is very unproductive use of our time.

It's nice and easy to blame everything else like fonts or drivers or operating system or graphics cards or RAM or Acts of God, but how about for a second we assume that Photoshop is the cause, look at how we'd test for it and ultimately get it resolved.

This is the sort of issue that the average consumer would probably just ignore or deal with, which could explain why you guys don't believe this to be a bug. Seems to be picking up a lot more attention on here.

Thanks,

James.

• 22. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                                    optimus_203

Same issue here. Was there ever a solution?

• 23. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                                      noktulo

Same issue. No progress?

After I force quit Photoshop when this happens, it usually takes 3 times reopening the program to get it to work. The first few times it just bounces in the dock for a few minutes and then closes again.

• 24. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                                        McSkewy3000

I too have been experiencing this for a couple of years now with various releases of Photoshop on various machines. I now have a brand spanking new iMac with 16gb Ram and the very latest Photoshop CC 2014.0.0 release and STILL this happens! Adobe should address this now.

• 25. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                                          ev1980

This is still an issue in CC2014.

PDF Generated on this machine (MacPro 2010) by InDesign 2014 CC – Drag PDF to Photoshop launches import pdf modal box then hangs, spinning beach ball, whole system laggy if you try and move to other programmes, sometimes eventually it'll suddenly right itself and allow you to finally click 'ok' - other times it'll sit there and slowly consume system resources till you get bored and restart.

• 26. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                                            JointyJr Community Member

Just recreated the 'condition' :

Screen Shot 2014-10-16 at 15.40.53 copy.png

as you can see, Photoshops hangs while a massive tempoaray file is being written to

private/var/folders/z1...

Hard drive write speeds have reached 108MB and Photoshop has hung for up to 8 minutes, after that that large file vanishes and all is normal again

The PDFS can be any size, with or without fonts embedded, with or without graphics or any kind. Has been happening for numerous versions of Photoshop.

Let me know if you need any more info.

• 27. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                                              mikimoto

Happens to me all the time too. I also noticed that it happens when PDF contains raster images. Even small ones. If it's vectors-only then Photoshop opens it fast. Hope it helps. This issue is really annoying.

• 28. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                                                tmagames Community Member

Just add me to the list, happens all the time

• 29. Re: CS6 PhotoShop hanging when opening PDFs - help?
                                                                  jamieaudiovisual

This is still occurring at least two years after being first reported on this forum. Everyone I know who works with pdf's in Photoshop has exactly the same issue. This is a MAJOR bug that seems to be being swept under the carpet for some reason that Adobe are unwilling to relinquish. I work within the Digital Marketing sector and personally know a huge amount of both colleagues and competitors who have hugely varying setups yet we all still encounter this debilitating issue.

An answer or at least some kind of communication would be most welcome Adobe.