31 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 8:26 AM by A.T. Romano

Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline

nickpudar Level 1

I am running Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7, 64 bit, with all the latest updates.

I'm getting some weird automatic scrolling of the timeline happening.

When I hover the mouse pointer anywhere on the left side of the screen, (including over the "File" menu bar portion) the timeline automatically starts scrolling left.

When I hover the mouse pointer anywhere on the right side of the screen (like over the vertical scroll bar), the timeline automatically scrolls right.

The only way to stop the scrolling is to move the mouse pointer away from the sides of the screen.

This seems like an error -- but did I accidentally turn on some feature?

Any suggestions how to get proper control back?
      Thanks,

Nick

• 1. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
          Barbara B. Level 7

Hi, nickpudar. This forum is for Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements has its own forum, which is the best place to ask for help with video problems. I'll move this for you.

• 2. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
            nickpudar Level 1

Sorry about that.  I could have sworn I was in the right forum.  thanks for moving it!

Nick

• 3. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Nick,

I think that you are in the correct one now.

I have noticed some display anomalies in PrE 11 too, but not what you describe. I have some odd flashing (usually from a previous screen, like Save) in the Program Monitor, depending on where the mouse Cursor is. I checked for an update for my nVidia GeForce 8800M (laptop) for Windows XP-Pro, and I have the latest (but it's from 2012).

If you have not explored an update for your display, I would go to the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site, and check for a newer driver. I wish you better luck, than I am having.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

A lot of it depends on where the CTI (playhead) is positioned. The timeline wants to keep the CTI visible. If you've scrolled down the timeline so that the CTI goes off the edge of the screen, it will sometimes jump to centerring the CTI when you try to add a new clip or effect.

• 5. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Might want to check the mouse settings in windows or reinstal/update the mouse driver.

• 6. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                    JimB65 Level 1

I am experiencing this same issue.  I'm also running PE11, current on updates, on Win 7 64bit.   My experience is that it's rare, but anoying.

I haven't experienced this in any of my other projects but the one I'm currently working on.  When I (re)open the project, it's fine, but once I start marking key frames and manipulating a clip, the mouse behaves as if I've right clicked on the timeline scroll bar and won't stop scrolling the timeline to the left and right unless I position the mouse in the center of the screen. 

I'll suggest it's not a video driver issue since I'm only experiencing this in one project, but I'd like to hear from others if there's some preference option that I've enabled thats causing this behavior, or if there's some way I can "reset" project to behave like my  others.

Regards,

Jim

• 7. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And where is the CTI playhead positioned when this happens?

• 8. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                        JimB65 Level 1

Thanks for looking into this o promptly.  It's in the middle of the clip I'm marking.  It just happened again to me, and I'm paying a bit more attention to what happens when it occurs. 

All is well as I'm working on a video track,  using the "go to next/previous keymark" arrows, which moves the CTI.  I want to fade to black so I right click and hold to drop the marker, but when I release the right mouse button, the diamond marker is "stuck" and moves left/right/up/down as I move the mouse.  (unexpected behavior)  I have to right click the mouse a couple of times to get it to release the key frame marker.

Now when I move the mouse to the far left to select the "next keymark" arrow, the CTI stays put on the timeline and scrolls off the screen on the right as I move the mouse to the left, dragging the whole timeline back to the beginning.  The keyframe that I just dropped is somehow corrupt.  The CTI won't land there if I click next/previous and if I put the CTI on top of it and try to delete it, it stays on the screen.  Deleting the clip from the timeline and inserting it again (loosing my markers) returns me to a stable state.

I'm guessing it's a mouse driver.  My PC is a Dell laptop and I'm using a USB connected mouse and keyboard, rather than the touchpad.

• 9. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                          P1965 Level 1

Also had this same issue but not every time and in varying degrees - sometimes just when at extreme left or right, other times like above.... weird.

• 10. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                            JimB65 Level 1

It's been a week since I installed the drivers from my mouse vendor (Kensington), and I haven't had the problem.  Hope I don't jinx it with this post.

• 11. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                              toneproductions Level 1

I'm seeing the same thing in Premiere. Did you find a solution. It's very annoying!

• 12. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                gandreozzi Level 1

This occurs for a few of us in Premiere pro cc 2014 as well. When it has happened for me it is usually preceded by the program monitor flashing to black for a second. occasionally  we have lost all or preview files.

• 13. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                  P1965 Level 1

One solution that works for me is to save the project, close it and re-open - usually works but may depend on RAM build up too.  Therefore, save, close and a computer re-start works best.

• 14. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                    braden2000 Level 1

Yes, Im on a Mac and On Premiere Pro CS 6, AND CC 2014 and this started happening to BOTH on and off about the same time. ITs VERY annoying because when I move to screen 2 or even just to the left or right of the timeline to like drag in a filter or something I will lose my place on the timeline. I HATE IT! Whats going on? Sometime I will fgo an hour before it starts happening sometimes within minutes of starting the program. I have no clue how to adjust this. I even tried a cheap 5 dollar mouse. Same thing.

• 15. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                      fredowww66 Level 1

I had already a few times the same problem, even yesterday. I work with PE 11 (dutch version, 64 bit).

Yesterday it came when I was adding keyframedots on a soundfootage track (volume control).

Because so many people with different systems have this problem it's almost clear that changing mousedrivers will not fix this.

• 16. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

fredowww66

If we are talking about the same happenings related to Timeline scrolling issues when the mouse scroll wheel is used, the following excerpt from one of my blog posts may add to information on what is happening. Whether the happening is by Adobe design or an accidental consequence from other project programing is unknown to me. The following was written with Premiere Elements 13/13.1 in use

0018. Premiere Elements 13 Expert Workspace Timeline Area Mouse Wheel Scrolling Issue: Bernard Solution

In prior versions of Premiere Elements, mouse scroll wheel has been used to scroll the Timeline, moving the Timeline Indicator from left to right or right to left - frame by frame. This is not the case in Premiere Elements 13 Expert workspace.Timeline. Instead, there the mouse scroll wheel scrolling results in the movement of the Timeline tracks up or down or up and down in the Timeline panel.

Bernard has posted the discovery that mouse scroll wheel scrolling in Premiere Elements 13 Expert workspace Timeline can result in the left to right or right to left movement and gave the how to details. Incredible findings by Bernard.

The essentials of what Bernard did and observed include

• With zoom in max set in the -+ slider above the Timeline, position the mouse with the scroll wheel at a blank space to the right or left of the Edit area monitor, and scroll. An 11 frames movement (left to right or right to left)  results from each nudge of the mouse scroll wheel.
                                        • If the Premiere Elements 13 icon in the Taskbar is clicked twice before doing the scroll as described above,  the result is a 1 frame movement (left to right or right to left) with each nudge of the mouse scroll wheel.

Commentary...we have confirmed Bernard's findings in Premier Elements 13 on Windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit.  But more work needs to be done with quantifying the scenario which results with the 11 frames movement per nudge of the mouse scroll wheel. So far, the degree of zoom in does not appear to influence the results.

In Premiere Elements 11 where the Timeline scroll with the mouse scroll wheel is left to right or right to left, the position of the mouse scroll wheel does not allow for up and down or down and up scrolling, but does provide for quantification of the scroll, nudge by nudge of the mouse's scroll wheel. I will write about this some more soon.

At this point, I suspect that the why on this one (Adobe design or accidental consequence of other project programming) needs to come from Adobe.

ATR

• 17. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                          gandreozzi Level 1

I think to clarify A.T., the issue some here are experiencing is not scroll wheel related, rather mouse movement interaction in the timeline. If anything it might have something to do with multi monitor setups.

Imagine if you will, you have a dual screen setup. A timeline on the right screen and a collection of bins of the left. You take your mouse cursor out of the timeline and move your mouse to the left screen to interact with files in the bin. While you are moving your mouse to the left the playhead in the timeline is being dragged left at the same time regardless of having the timeline as your active windowIt usually will end up at the start of the timeline as it has no more room to move. Moving the mouse back to the right will result in the same problem. In my case I often notice the program monitor or preview monitor cut to black for a second before this starts happening.

Usually a restart of the adobe program will reset this behavior, though some of our workstations have even required a system restart. These are all macs but I have experience the same issue at home on a pc with a very different setup.

• 18. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

ginoa

Thanks for the reply to me in this Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit thread originated by nickpudar in 2013.

My reply to fredowww66 this morning was addressing a Premiere Elements user with no mention of dual monitor setup.

In contrast, you seem to have identified yourself as a Premiere Pro user with a dual monitor setup and gave an excellent description of your particular issue. Premiere Pro scrolling and dual monitor details (however done) are not necessary or usually the same as in Premiere Elements. Do you have Premiere Elements and seeing the same thing in your dual monitor system?

For Premiere Elements, I will revisit the distinction between scroll wheel related versus mouse movement interaction in the Timeline in the posts in this thread.

Best wishes

ATR

• 19. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                              gandreozzi Level 1

This occurs for us in Premiere Elements, Premiere Pro and even Audition. I cannot replicate it predictably enough to try it in other timeline based applications and have yet to see it happen in After Effects.  My mention of a dual monitor setup comes from aggregating information across many of these same forum threads.

• 20. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                                fredowww66 Level 1

I want to make clear that in my case this was not happening after using scrolling mousewheel. I don't use this in PE. And I also doesn't have two monitors.

• 21. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                                  dr_rock9000 Level 1

Im having this exact same issue in Premiere Pro CC 2014. It's never happened before, but just like you said it happens on and off again. A full reboot might fix it for a second but it comes and goes. Very annoying.

• 22. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

dr_rock9000

Have you gotten any input on your Premiere Pro situation in the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum? Or, is this thread in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum the only resource on this matter?

I would think that you would want to attract the attention of a wider distribution of Premiere Pro users who would be more likely to frequent the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum.

ATR

• 23. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                                      gandreozzi Level 1

After trying to replicate this to troubleshoot it , I have found when this is occuring. It usually happens after interacting with an Item in a bin that I am trying to bring into a timeline. While the problem is occurring, if I go back into a bin, grab any media and alt replace something in the timeline with that, it has fixed the problem for me

It seems to me that the various adobe software that has this issue is getting stuck in a state where there is a piece of media attached to the cursor waiting to be drug somewhere else even though the cursor does not indicate this.

Some things to note,  This can happen even if I have something selected in a bin and use key commands to insert or overwrite. And strangely enough if I go into a bin, grab media and drag it around it does not move the timeline in the same way as this glitch.

next time this occurs, please test what I described to see if it works for you. I am generally curios. So far this has worked in premiere pro and elements.

• 24. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                                        dr_rock9000 Level 1

This forum was just the first place I saw anyone else having the same issue, but there are a couple of threads on the Premiere Pro forum. Another member is saying that it is a Mac OS update issue.

Strange auto-scrolling behavior in timeline

• 25. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

rock9000

Many thanks for the reply and the very interesting information and perspective on the Premiere Pro scrolling matter. Excellent discussion to point those interested in this situation.

Appreciated.

Thank you.

ATR

• 26. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

ginoa

Thank you for your comments.

Referring to your post numbered 23 in this thread...

I will look into this issue with various versions of Premiere Elements on Window 7 and 8.1 64 bit and report my observations.

I cannot give you a time frame for when I will post the results, but I will try to do the tests within the next few days or sooner.

Thank you for your comments. Curiosity has made me look into the Premiere Elements side of what you and others have described in this thread.

ATR

• 27. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                                              mongecr21 Level 1

I actually have the same issue funny thing is that I have few timelines open  but it only happens on 1 at the time...

i dont think this is a issue of graphic drivers  or mouse drivers  this is  something with click and timeline options ... in and outs   but definetly a PP bug.

• 28. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                                                toneproductions Level 1

it's still happening for me in CC2015!

• 29. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

toneproductions

Please see Adobe Premiere Pro resources.

Premiere Pro CC

ATR

• 30. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                                                    Clint Boland Level 1

OMG!!! I just updated to CC 2015 and thought it would correct it, I haven't had it happen as much lately. Now I can't edit, it happens almost immediately and I have already re-started my computer twice.

ADOBE!

WTF!!!!

• 31. Re: Weird Automatic Scrolling of Timeline
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Clint Boland

Please see Adobe Premiere Pro resources

Premiere Pro CC

ATR

[Wrong place for Premiere Pro comments... Locked... Mod]